Kids in the rain

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Kids in the rain

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm

This isn't really a camping question but because you all go camping with your kids and they are most likely outdoorsy types and used to coping with the elements, I thought I'd post it here.

My 5yo was supposed to go to a bicycle education holiday programme for a day on Tuesday. I'd booked and paid and was sent an email reminding us to pack a rain coat and gloves. Pretty unnecessary advice in my opinion, but anyways.

On Tuesday it was raining when we got up. So I made sure I got her waterproof mittens and some spare clothes in her bag. The course was to start at 9, so by 8.30am we were about to get in the car when I got a phone call from the organisers telling me that the programme was postponed. She didn't specifically say it was because of the rain, but it obviously was. (it ended up clearing up after just an hour too!)

I am so annoyed about that! And I realised it's a bit of a general trend here to cancel activities and events for kids when it rains. I grew up in Belgium which has a similar climate to England, so was used to getting soaked in the rain. They never cancelled anything because of it either. You just always carried a rain coat with you. At school from when I was 4, we were sent outside every recess and lunch break no matter whether it was raining or -10. If you didn't want to get wet, you could shelter under the roof if you chose to, if you didn't want to be cold, you were expected to run around to keep warm. I definitely didn't always like it as a child, but it taught me that getting wet or cold is really not the end of the world.

So I am not at all pleased that they treat my child like she's made of sugar! I definitely don't. We ride our bikes to school and back every single school day, whether it's -5 or 40, rain or shine. And my daughter never complains because - like me when I was little - she is not given any other option.

What's your opinion?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Kids in the rain

Postby Titch » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Same as yours,hasn't the Enlightened set got precious.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 pm

I do often wonder if it is also because they get lots of overprotective parents complain about this sort of stuff. Who think their child is going to get sick if they're sent out in the rain. And might not be able to get their heads round the idea that it is always protecting them from cold and wet weather that will make them more likely to get sick in the end!

Oh and how many kids don't even seem to own any wet or cold weather gear at school! They rock up at school in the morning when it's -3 and/or raining in a thin wind cheather and sometimes even bare legs. (Mind you, the scouts in Belgium used to make it a test of courage to go out walking in winter in shorts. In -10 temperatures, it made their legs look purple after a while! But on they marched, singing cheeful scouts songs. :*** )
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:32 pm

It's a shame really, I remember when sporting events would only get cancelled if the grounds were flooded, not because it's drizzeling.

I remember I use to get filthy when we went camping, dad would just hose me off or tell me to go for a swim. :lol:

Alot of kids are too bubble wrapped these days.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 pm

It's a sign of the times I am afraid Lin...all in the name of 'convenience' or similar.

How many times do you hear of people putting the heater on when it gets cold rather than putting a jumper on??

I am with you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby gmhemi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 pm

I think it's all about safety these days. Even if we don't agree there still going to make it a priority. Just look at the changes in the workplace now with safety.
gmhemi
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 am

Probably the biggest reason we started taking our kids camping was so they can be KIDS!!!!!

Kids get dirty, wet, may get a cold(which are spread by other kids spreading their germs not by the rain!!!!) it's all part of being a kid.

I think these days some kids are soooo over scheduled it's beyond ridiculous. Why do kids these days all have to get awards, play every sport possible, learn a heap of different instuments????? Learning to lose is a massive lesson in life and helps give them the skills to suceed and also gain self confindence by themselves not artifically so when they go out into the REAL world they are not crushed by the first refusal. I think this generation wants EVERYTHING NOW and don't want to work for it..... saving up for something is an unknown to most kids these days.

We try and let our kids be kids by only having one sport & one instrument. This means they come home from school 3 days out of 5 and actually play with each other and the two labs OUTSIDE..OMG!!!...how many kids these days don't get to do that???? Instead they are in front of TV's, game consoles, computers or mobile phones....which is not where I like my kids to be very often and neither do our labs as they sit at our back door and moan until the kids go out and play with them :armsup

All in all I agree with you Lin.....talk about late notice for you when they postphoned it, should have just sucked it up and went ahead with I think.
*gets off soapbox* :*** :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Learning to lose is a massive lesson in life and helps give them the skills to suceed and also gain self confindence by themselves not artifically so when they go out into the REAL world they are not crushed by the first refusal.

Oh, don't get me started on this non-competitive 'everybody's a winner' attitude at schools! I agree not everything should be about winning and there needs to be a variety of opportunities for kids of all ilks to excell. But our school organised a "non-competitive athletics" event. WT? How can you do athletics without there being a winner? What is the fun in that or the purpose? How do you hide who won the race anyway? And what incentive do you give kids to give it their all? Or to improve on their previous results?

I did hear a gorgeous story another mother told me recently about a school team of 4th grade girls having to compete against a team of 6th grade boys in some inter-school sports competition. The 6th graders ended up stumbling around on purpose so the younger ones could score some runs. The little ones were totally oblivious that they did this and swelled with pride when they reported on their achievements at assembly the next day. Aww!

I suppose that's the other thing: if they won't let them play competitive sports (or whatever event) how will they EVER learn to be a good sport???

Grrr again! Lots of shortsightedness involved in developing these policies.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:42 pm

EXACTLY Lin!! :+

Setting them up for failure in the real world and not being able to handle rejection or setbacks at all.....sad really.

I am VP of our local netball assoc and unless it's pouring with rain we still play (juniors & seniors). Have been lucky so far this season but have played about 2 weeks in drizzly rain to heavy showers but kept going as courts drained well and it was still safe to play.... about half of the juniors didn't turn up those mornings though which is a bit dissappointing but not the kids fault..... :cry:

Let them be kids for heaven's sake as most kids love competive sports and lift to the challenge.... :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby capella_ben » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Don't we melt if we get rained on???

:***

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Return to Camping with Kids