Tarp Poll

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Do you put a tarp over your camp??

Poll ended at Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes
40%
No
36%
Sometimes
24%

Total votes : 42

Re: Tarp Poll

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:58 pm

snake_dr wrote:a tarp right over your camper should give you added cooling though shouldnt it?

Cooling is just one of the benefits of a Tarp Over the camp snake......there are many IMO.

To each his own I say, but I reckon if everyone who says they do not have or need a Tarp Over their camp were in a position to experience this option and then compare the differences they would have a very different opinion at the end of it.

Consider this....you arrive at camp and there are two identical camps set up side by side....one with a tarp over and one without....it's hot, 40% and you have the chance you send 24 hours in one camp and then 24 hours in the other.

Pack up time and it starts raining....which camp would you prefer to pack up??? Now this scenario only covers heat and rain.....consider all the other possibilities as previously discussed on this forum over time re the advantages or Tarping Over the camp.

Food for thought....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:51 pm

I rarely camp anywhere where it gets that hot, gipsy. The advantage of camping at the far south NSW coast! And if it is hot during the day, it usually cools down at night which is the only time we spend time in the tent.

And in all the years I've been camping I've only had to pack up in the rain twice. The advantage of a dry climate. :)

So if I weigh up the pros and cons (cons being the effort it takes to erect the tarp and the space an extra tarp and poles take up), it's not really worth it for me. I really think it depends on your circumstances.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby snake_dr » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Sounds great Lin. I havent been camping where I would be able to sleep in the camper during the day, this includes winter camping.
snake_dr
Camping Veteran

Postby crocodile » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 am

I always tarp over the tent.
Gives us a covered kitchen and sitting area.
Protects the tent and fly from UV, falling sticks and bird poop.
It's cooler.
Takes only an hour to set up and about 3/4 to pull down.

I find that the 1 3/4 hours spent is shorter than cleaning the bird poop off the tent when I get home.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby hoadie72 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 am

I think there are a lot of factors that come into play here.

When I'm touring I use my Oztent, which has a useful sized awning and I also have the side panels for it, which offer fantastic protection from the elements, and I've survived some pretty severe storms. I've set it up in the rain without any problems of water getting in and packed it wet the next morning, no dramas, as it goes on the roof of the car (packed length is 1.8m long after all). Being a synthetic blended canvas it was still dry the next day.

Thinking about putting up and pulling down a tarp in the rain, as well as finding somewhere to put a wet tarp, in my situation I would find it way more trouble than it's worth

And then there's the question of setup and pack time ...
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:29 am

Lin wrote:I rarely camp anywhere where it gets that hot, gipsy.

Hi Lin....the scenario I posted was not about what you do but an attempt to put everyone into a position of imagining how they would feel given those 2 options.

People have specific feelings/ideas on what they know and often have not experienced the other and this was my way of trying to get all to think more about the other option and what the experience might be for them.

Cheers Gypsy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby jellycamp » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I am a "sometimes" tarper! If we are going to be in one spot for a week or so then we put the tarp up for shade for the kids and covered sitting/Meals area. If we are just going for one night then no tarp at all. Don't even take it.

Also depends on the what the weather forecast is! :grin:

Emma
Life is meant to be simple!
jellycamp
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Found a pic from my trip last year where we ran one tarp over 2 CTs on a regular basis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 am

Seeing that we are still discussing option, I thought it might be a good idea to bump this poll again.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby itchyvet » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:29 am

Tarps over tents/CT's ?

No 1. keeps sun off canvas in early morning, thus allowing lazy sleep in. Love it.

No 2. keeps CT tent cooler, no doubt about it.

No 3. stops sap,bird droppings, possum droppings from setting into canvas, bloody difficult to then remove.

No 4.always take tarp, but don't always set it up, depends on weather/trees/undergrowth, good to have
handy though.
No 5.aids in quicker drying time after showers.

No 6. benefits far outweigh the inconveinience of lugging them around.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat