Stone Deflectors...Good or Bad Choice ???

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Stone Deflectors...Good or Bad Choice ???

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 pm

While looking at CT's...Both New & ''Pre-loved''.....I asked the question about stone deflectors.
All new dealers we spoke to said NO.....
Pre-loved owners with-out them said the same!!!!
The most re-occuring answer / reason was that they flick 'more' stones back onto the tow vehicle than they save...the trailer from damage......the question was then.......Which paint job costs the most to repair ????

Your thoughts ...........

:cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Stone Deflectors...Good or Bad Choice ???

Postby stevo. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:16 am

stone deflectors mounted on the car?

Get or make a frame up that mounts on your drawbar so it deflects stones. You know those ones with shadecloth on them?

A mates set up used to flick stones back on to his camper trailer and took chips our of everything, so that's not good if you have gas bottles, jerry cans, water bottle etc mounted on the front!

my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:58 am

Rosco1 wrote:While looking at CT's...Both New & ''Pre-loved''.....I asked the question about stone deflectors.
All new dealers we spoke to said NO.....
Pre-loved owners with-out them said the same!!!!
The most re-occuring answer / reason was that they flick 'more' stones back onto the tow vehicle than they save...the trailer from damage......the question was then.......Which paint job costs the most to repair ????

Your thoughts ...........

Rosco

Well Rosco seeing as you don't go off the Black Top......it will not be an issue for you.

However....for the life of me I can't understand why any dealer or owner would say No especially when the majority of CTs come with them on. I personally would not have a CT without a stone deflector as shown in Steve's post. In fact the pic of the one he has posted is a very good example of a good stone deflector...good size and good angle.

I have done a number of outback trips and the areas I got any damage on the CT were the leading edges....the areas not protected by the stone deflector.

Yes stones do ricochet off the front of it and yes protection is required for the rear window of the vehicle....BUT we are talking about the Outback here amd thousands of klms travelled at a time....not the black top and not your average dirt track down through a NP or the like.

It never ceases to amaze me the stupid things people say and/or advice they give.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby itchyvet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Well we've had a stone deflector on our Cub from day one, and pulling it with our Patrol over gravel roads,(been told I should've bought an off road CT, making my Cub do off road stuff apparently is not fair) I have not noticed any increase of stone damage to the rear of the Patrol.
Rest assured, I definately would notice such, as I'm paranoid about the paint work on the Patrol.
Remember too, the shade cloth on the stone deflector ABSORBS the power in stones which then simply drop down onto the road way.
Mind you, the stone damage to under carrage/drawbar/axle ect of CT is still quiet evident.
Short of fitting individual guards for all these items, I can't see how you could minimise the damage.
OK, I heard that, (some wise crack about staying on the bitumen. :***
For my two bobs worth, I'd recommend fitting same to any vehicle that is to be driven on gravel roads.
Likewise, I'd also recommend any one intending to go gravel, seriously check out the under neath of their CT and the fitting of accessories thereunder, to ensure they are safely placed to minimise the onslaught of stones.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm getting the sort of answers I was expecting.....its not the price of them thats holding me back but the thought of stones flicking back and either breaking a window or chipping the paint on the Patrol.....
I'm surprised that if they are so important, that even on ''off-roaders'',,they come as an add-on accesory
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby itchyvet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Rosco1 wrote:I'm getting the sort of answers I was expecting.....its not the price of them thats holding me back but the thought of stones flicking back and either breaking a window or chipping the paint on the Patrol.....
I'm surprised that if they are so important, that even on ''off-roaders'',,they come as an add-on accesory

Rosco1,
I reckon the manufacturers would fit anything you asked of them, they'd be silly not too.
But salesmen/people are a differnt kettle of fish, they'd look at it from THEIR perspective, what's in it for THEM, and they may not even have them on the shelf, neccessitating an order to get them in, after finding someone who would even supply them, I can see, such would be too much trouble for a small return for such groups.
Anyways, hope you work things out for yourself.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I have seen a photo where one guy had the she'll be right attitude and didn't bother about a stone deflctor, the photo showed a smashed rear window. I have also seen photo's of people taping cardboard onto their back window to prevent such damage.

I've also read somewhere that becasue each camper trailer is different in one way or another that they're usually not readily available, but In my opinion, It's a wise investment and can be easily made up.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Question...is this a ''CT'' thing as you don't see deflectors on Caravans ???????

Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Question...is this a ''CT'' thing as you don't see deflectors on Caravans ???????

Very common on off road caravans.Especially if they have a chequer ally front.
Many have a padded vinyl front.
many caravans never go on the dirt.

Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Yes,,,you maybe correct there Titch, ...but, what about the protection for the Tug ???.....thats my biggest concern.....I can get the trailer painted ,,,and at little expense.....
Recently we spent $500- touching up the Patrol,,,,and $700+ getting Avis's new car done...

:beer :beer
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 pm

My van's padded front would be a half inch thick. we dirt road it and haven't noticed any pings.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Question...is this a ''CT'' thing as you don't see deflectors on Caravans ???????

Oh yes you do...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

I have travelled many thousands of klms on outback roads. I did just under 9000klm on my last trip. I have a stone deflector on my CT and when travelling to the outback have a piece of ply made for the rear window as protection.

I have only ever had the odd stone chip on the rear of my car....yes stones do fly up but they usually hit the window and you hear them boucing off, hence the need for protection.

From what you have written Rosco....it seems to me you you are going around in circles here...looks like you have made up your mind not to have a stone deflector and as mentioned earlier..... that will be more than suitable for you in your circumstances. You have indicated on more than one occasion that you do not travel on dirt roads....so it becomes a non issue for you.

Spend your money on something that is of greater use to you, something you feel more comfortable about....not sure what, but I am sure we can come up with something or better still let Avis go shopping again, I am sure she will really enjoy that.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to General Chit-Chat