I love Camping! But with kids???

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Postby Nenie23 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Hey Guys.

Merry Chrissy, Happy New Year - Ho Ho Bloody Ho and all that crap.

Haven't been on here for a while but now back and counting down sleeps till our next big trip.

Only 162 more sleeps till we leave for our 5 week trip from Central Coast (NSW) to Darwin. Cant wait. So many things to organise before we go. Hope to hightail it up there in 5-6 days and spend a few weeks touring Darwin/Kakadu etc.

If anyone has been there and wants to fill me in on details of where to go, what to see, that would be just great!!!!!!!! :+

We are heading up through QLD on the way up, St George, Mt Isa, Tennant Creek etc, then going back down through Alice on the way back. Travelling with our family and another family - each have 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs.

What do you all think!

Nenie
Be happy - take the family camping.
Nenie23
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 am

Ugh, as much as it pains me to say it, leave the dogs at home. I think there'll be alot of places up there that you might want to see but wont be able to take the dogs. Plus a LONG LONG trip with dogs possibly getting sick and/or going to the dunny, could get very very irritating :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mummeee74 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:18 am

Sounds great Nenie! Haven't been up there so can't give you any tips.
Kind of agree with Ozzy on the dogs, I haven't taken our dog camping yet, maybe down the track, but just wondering what do you do with them if you want to visit a NP for the day?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

dogs

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:36 am

Get very organised and locate and book into a boarding kennel nearby, before you leave home!! :grin:
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:52 am

I couldn't agree more with everyone's comments about the dogs. I'm a dog lover but my four legged friends would be the last ones I'd be taking on such a trip. I got back from Darwin a few weeks back, and everywhere we went there were "No Dog" signs. All of the major natural attractions would be off limits to you with dogs - Katherine Gorge, Litchfield National Park, Mataranka Natural Springs - just to name a few. Unfortunately our time there was rushed, so we had to cram as much in as possible in a very short time, so I envy you the relaxed pace you'll be able to see everything in. Highly recommend the helicopter flight at Katherine Gorge - a little expensive but breathtaking! On the opposite end of the financial scale, a day lolling about in the water holes at Litchfield Park is pure relaxation, and completely free. Have a fabulous time.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Camping with kids

Postby jetag » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:47 am

Hi everyone, my first time so be gentle. My husband and myself and our two kids 7 & 11 and another family with three kids 8, 11 & 13 have sold all our possessions (house, business, furniture etc etc) and are heading off around Aus on 29th Jan. We hail from Tully in NQ and are heading south along the coast and hopefully picking up work along the way. We are totally camping in tents (no wussy CT's for us LOL)and homeschooling the five children along the way. No, we don't need brain transplants, we just wanted a change. We have been planning for about a year, and now it is sooooo close, it still feels like we have so much more to do! We have found a great book (I hope) called Camp Around Australia, which has lots of cheap and free camp sites listed. Which brings me to my point, there are heaps and heaps and heaps of camping grounds which allow dogs. We are taking our dogs as they are part of the family. Seems that as long as they are on the leash, there shouldn't be a problem. We are so exited but also very nervous. Any ongoing advise would be welcome.
You can't take your money to heaven!
jetag

Postby stevo. » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:58 am

Hi jetag, welcome to the site!!

have ya got a spare seat? 8)

Have a look at this site http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/dog_accommodation.htm
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby jetag » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:09 am

Hey meeky, you might have to take a number. I loooooovvvvveeee this site, everyone seems to be so helpful. Would love to keep everyone updated with photos etc. Any advise on how to do this would be great - your talking to a bit of techno moron when it come to it, but would love to give it a go.
jetag

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 am

Jetag,

Kramer has posted a 'how to' thread on posting pics etc.

viewtopic.php?t=524

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 am

jetag, how long are you intending to go for?
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby jetag » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:39 am

About a year. We have a few children between us(2 families are coming) and we are homeschooling, so we are thinking the whole year so as not to chop and change them too much. We are leaving on the 29th (SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!) Jeff is out the back finishing the drawers for the back of the Patrol as we speak. We got a quote from TJM to make those drawers - $2800!!!!!!!!! I told them my entire kitchen for my house didn't cost that much! I have just bought a digicam off ebay so will post photos as we go along.
jetag

Previous

Return to Introductions: