Lightweight Summer Sleeping Kit

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Lightweight Summer Sleeping Kit

Postby punkinhead » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 am

G'day, had a quick look thru the forum but could not see my problem addressed here.
So would like to ask the experienced some advice...

Planning a trip with a few of us down a Nth River gorge for two or three days in the canoes and in a bit of a quandry on lightweight gear. Not being a lightweight guy, i've only ever worried about camping gear to fit in a 4wd or boat, so while i have the best that suits me, none of it will fit in me canoe!

Got a huge double swag that'd take up the whole canoe

Tossing up between a self inflating matress combined with a hiking tent as i could roll it all up and store it in a 20l drum or drybag?

Or do i get a three hooped mozzie net top canvas cover type swag, which would get used a lot more in the winter when i go fishing with the 4wd if the missus isn't with me. Would save me taking the big swag...

Option #1 has a two man adventure/hiking type tent...

with a 3/4 self inflating matress and camping pillow/blanket..

Pros being Good possie in the tent as far as w/proofing ect, can erect with just the fly if weather looks good (big sweaty bloke), compact with the tent being 2 kilo and the size of a 1/2 a sleaping bag and the matress about sleeping bag size (will all fit in a 20l drum with the blanket and a change of clothes). Can kneel up and plenty of room with heaps of airspace.

Cons..
I'd only use it once a year or so, only do the canoing in the summer time.
Pain to put up, and especially to pack up...rolling and folding tent, rolling mattress, rolling and squashing camp blanket. Need to hammer in pegs.
Advice from experienced hikers/campers appreciated.
Especially if they happen to be old and decrepit and overweight for tossing and turning.

Option #2 is the single swag ...

Pros being, i'd use it a lot. Often go fishing with the boys all year round chasing the native green fish , usually take my big heavy double swag.
Easy to set up, just roll it out and put the poles in. OK on rocks ect, easy to pack up, just roll it up, blankets, pillow, matress and all. Still breathable for the hot summer cicada thrummin nights.

Cons...

6 times as heavy at least for the portage times, need at least a 30litre (maybe50) dry bag or drum..not a prob in the canoe, but still maybe enough to turn a one trip portage into a two trip one...possibly a coulea bucks more expensive...
Maybe a wee bit hotter...ummmmm???
Not much else in the con dept.

Would be putting together a single burner stove and some packaged meals, and a couplea bladders of Green Giger Wine
A good first aid kit and topo maps.
Dry change of clothes and a poncho.
That and the fishing/ navigation gear is all i can think of.
Would be good if all this fitted in a 30l drum or drybag too.
Was thinking i can strap this into the canoe as i expect a bit of portage.

Bum bag for tackle should see me kitted.
punkinhead

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Mate, from your post you sound like the kinda person who isn't afraid of roughing it, so for a 2-3 day canoe trip, i'd be leaving the tent and swag at home, and praying it doesn't rain :lol: . And even if it does, your only going to get wet once you get back in the canoe anyways :mrgreen:.

I'd be going with just a light weight tarp to keep the dew off, set up with a few sticks and string, a basic mat, or mattress if you've got the room, and another tarp to 'wrap' yourself in if it does start to rain. And of course a sleeping bag.

But if I had to choose between your option 1 or 2, i'd go 2. Swags are just such less hassle than even a hiking tent, and I'm pretty sure you can get compact swags.

Actually, like this - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motorbike-Biker- ... dZViewItem

Looks half the size of mine ::()
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby bushcamper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:52 pm

G'day Punkinhead. myself and five mates spent two weeks on the Mitchel River in Nth Qld.

We slept on stretchers, no mattress just a sleeping bag and a sheet. Most nights we slept on top of the sleeping bag with only the sheets over us. When we do it again we won't change a thing.

My mate and I were both around 110kgs and had no problems with sleeping after paddling, fishing and hunting all day.

I think planing is half the fun. If you have as much fun as we did it will be worth the effort.

Where are you going? If you would like the list of stuff we took, give me your email and I'll send it, (excel spread sheet)

A few photos of our trip

Last edited by bushcamper on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushcamper
Camping King

canoes n camping

Postby gqpatrol » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:35 pm

That looks great. Is it a secret spot? Is there crocs? You did well fitting all that gear in, looks like you lack for nothing. Have got my eye out for a nice big canoe!!
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Postby Scolers » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Hey Bushcamper,

Now that's just showing off ... :?#

8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby bushcamper » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:17 am

gqpatrol It was great, next one could be in 2008
No it's not a secret spot, although it's not exactly a spot
The Mitchel is about 600 ks long and we put the canoes in about 330 ks from the mouth and paddled 120ks down stream in the two weeks. So the “spot” is fairly big.

That far upstream fresh water crocs were all we saw, didn’t expect to see too many salties but we were always wary of the any deep still water, we did see some signs but no live ones.

We found this print about 10 metres from camp one morning, that's a size 14 foot along side the print

It is amazing how much gear will fit in a large canoe. In the two weeks we set up camp 5 or 6 times so we didn’t mind setting up a bit more gear to be comfortable. Only took about half an hour each time. As far as lack for nothing goes, cold beer and a good woman would have made the short list.

I bought my canoe on ebay, if you keep your eyes open they do come up occasionally.

Scolers, showing off…… reliving the adventure maybe…..it’s a bit like this forum, the next best thing to being out there.

So when are you moving the East Coast?

Beats TV any day

bushcamper
Camping King

Postby punkinhead » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:08 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Mate, from your post you sound like the kinda person who isn't afraid of roughing it, so for a 2-3 day canoe trip, i'd be leaving the tent and swag at home, and praying it doesn't rain :lol: . And even if it does, your only going to get wet once you get back in the canoe anyways :mrgreen:.

I'd be going with just a light weight tarp to keep the dew off, set up with a few sticks and string, a basic mat, or mattress if you've got the room, and another tarp to 'wrap' yourself in if it does start to rain. And of course a sleeping bag.

But if I had to choose between your option 1 or 2, i'd go 2. Swags are just such less hassle than even a hiking tent, and I'm pretty sure you can get compact swags.

Actually, like this - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motorbike-Biker- ... dZViewItem

Looks half the size of mine ::()

Looked at a couplea swags yesterday and came to the same conclusion, OCB. Just no way i'd be able to comfortably store one dry and carry it along with the rest of the gear. It's off to the camping shop 3/4 self inflater, godd big foldable fly, camping blanket and squishy pillow.

When we have to portage it'll just be one trip.

Looks loverly BC, but i don't take that much gear when i take the ute :shock:

You certainly camped well, but if i took gear like that my mates would throw rocks at me :--?

Good chance i'm gunna have to carry all my gear a couplea times a day, so i guess i'll make my own list :)
punkinhead

Postby bushcamper » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:29 pm

If we had to carry our gear it would have been a different story, but we knew there would be plenty of water.

We did cop a bit of a ribbing from the other guys for some of our gear but we all had different priorities (one guy took a soda stream to make coke for his rum :beer)
and the umbrellas were supposed to be a joke but turned out to be very useful specially early afternoon paddling into the sun after all morning on the river.

For light camps I use a three man dome (one where you don't have to thread the poles through loops), I lay my sleeping bag on top of a self inflator inside the tent and roll the whole lot up like a swag. I only use the fly if necessary.

No pegs unless it's blowing, very fast, bug proof, room for anything you don't want to get wet, compact and light weight.:?#
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:40 pm

bushcamper wrote:
Scolers, showing off…… reliving the adventure maybe…..it’s a bit like this forum, the next best thing to being out there.

So when are you moving the East Coast?

Beats TV any day

lol Bushcamper ... we got rid of our 16ft canadian last year ... was sad to see it go but my son just wasn't into it. Would love to move over to Bundy but SWMBO says "No" ... at the moment we could buy two houses in Bundy from the sale of ours.

Here's my run-in with crocs ... was 20 yrs ago now ... on the MaCarthur River at a place called Borroloola which is a mirror image of Burketown ie. both in the Gulf and about the same distance from the NT/QLD border.

I'm the handsome guy witht he handlbar moustache.

Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby punkinhead » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:56 am

Would you blokes prefer it if i went and started my own thread so you can chat about crocs and stuff?

Ohhh that's right, i already did... :?
punkinhead

Return to Gear Guide