Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

Postby MacLister » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

Myself, my wife, and 3 young kids (and a dog!) would like to get a camper trailer. We're new to this, and were about to just go the tent route, but then saw a camper trailer setup in a shop, and it looked amazzing. We're semi-new to Australia (Scotland and South Africa before), and very new to camping.

We liked the look of this one:
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Caravans/Caravans/AdNumber=D2586200254910?CRDealerID=XQ8KoQwi4nIAAAEjOo8Giiul&HotlistView=true&ExternalHotlink= ($4600)

But even more so, this one:
http://giccampertrailers.com.au/semi-off-road-camper-trailer/ - The 18 foot one. ($4800)

We'de prefer not to break the $5000, as we think there will be extra costs - but we also want something that will last a few years, and is safe, and good quality. We see quite a few 2nd hand ones too, but would like to start off with something in good condition.

Does anyone know if the above mentioned ones are any good? We're in Brisbane, and they charge an arm and a leg to get them up here. $460 or something. :(

Hopefully you guys can advise me and my family on how to progress.
Thanks,
Craig, Melanie and the girls (And a K9)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Re: Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

Postby stevo. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 am

I don't know about these particular ones, but i'd really want to go and have a look and be very clear about what you get and don't get. A friend ordered a new car trailer recently and was excited about the price, but then he actually went in to the factory, he realised that the price didn't include much, so by the time he added the stuff he wanted it was back to being the usual price anyone would charge.

The wheels are all cheap chinese that come standard with wobbles, the tyres are second hand and pretty average, that's how they keep the price down.

The trailers in those adverts look ok, but i think you'd want to be able to go in to the shop and check them out, lay underneath for 5 minutes and look at stuff etc. Look at the quality of the tent?

Some flashy new well known brand cmapers are $15,000.

Do they actually come with the tent? They have the tents in the photos but they don't mention the tents in the lists? We'll assume it comes with a tent, otherwise it'll be an expensive trailer :lol:

and can your vehicle tow the weight?

... oh no, now you've got me look at camper trailers! :-bang
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby MacLister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:53 am

Thanks Stevo.

Yeah, agreed. Would be best to see thing thing first.

The trailer does come with a 18foot tent - I believe.
Here's some details of the tent it's self:

# Ultimate 23ft x 18ft Deluxe Camper Trailer Tent
# Quality 15OZ RIPSTOP CANVAS (roof, awning and walls)
# Sewn in Quality PVC Sealed Floor (100mm high PVC lower walls to prevent water seepage)
# Awning (Fully detachable)
# Annex Walls / Sun-room (Larger windows with Multi Change Awning and Annex)
# Awning floor sealed via Velcro and is Fully detachable
# Upgraded Design foldout frame for Self Supporting and Quick Erection of Tent
# Free Standing Without the need for Guide Ropes
# 13 Doors and 5 Windows with Zippers on Both Sides for Easy Access and Both Mosquito and Midgey Proof Netting and canvas on Doors and Windows

More here: http://giccampertrailers.com.au/ultimat ... mper-tent/

As for checking out the trailer - I work with computers. If I looked under the trailer, I would have NO idea what I was looking at. :shock:

I'll need to look for trailer builders/sellers here in Brisbane, as they're in NSW somewhere.

My car is a 2009 Holden Captiva. I think it will be OK for pulling this. Again, I refer to my profession. :) No idea about cars. But I remember someone saying '2000kg'?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:54 am

HI,
Just a word of advice.
Think long and hard before you buy ripstop canvas. Make sure your canvas is aussie made not a chinese import. Chinese import is not up to aussie standards and therefore cheaper.
I'd be wary of gic as I've seen a couple and the roof sags a lot in the annexe area. Now, not sure if this is because there are not enough roof supports or if the canvas is stretching unevenly. And if canvas stetches and is uneven then you will be forever watching out for pooling water when it rains.

Definitely have a good look at any ct before buying. There are some good companies here in Bris, including camel, modcon, and another I can't put my finger on. I think there might be a second smaller camping show sometime soon as I remember there being two last year. You've missed the major one but the smaller one is still interesting.

Happy hunting and researching.

Customline is another good brand.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am

MacLister wrote: No idea about cars. But I remember someone saying '2000kg'?

OK Mac...alarm belles ringing here......you MUST find out the tow capacity of your tow vehicle BEFORE you consider buying a CT.

I suggest you go and chat with Kerry Jones at ModCon at Capalaba.....he is one of the good guys and has considerable knowledge on CT manufacturing....it is his profession.

You may even find one to your liking and budget there. BTW...I am speaking from experience here....I have a ModCon that I have hauled all through the outback with no issues at all.....Yes I understand that this is not necessarily what you want but it is the best place I know to send you to get started.

Kerry's contact details are as follows:

Ph: 3245 2807
4 Veronica Street
Capalaba

http://www.modcon.com.au/index.php
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 am

Next camping show in Bris is 22-24 Oct at the RNA showgrounds. Best get yourself there for a good look round.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:07 am

sienna wrote: I think there might be a second smaller camping show sometime soon

Sienna is right, there is another one coming up.

2010 PRE CHRISTMAS CARAVAN & CAMPING SALE
October 22, 23 & 24
RNA Showgrounds
Gregory Terrace
Fortitude Valley
Brisbane
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:09 am

Gotta mark that one down on my calendar!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:13 am

sienna wrote:Gotta mark that one down on my calendar!

I just realised....I will be camping that weekend.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am

MacLister wrote:My car is a 2009 Holden Captiva. I think it will be OK for pulling this. Again, I refer to my profession. :) No idea about cars. But I remember someone saying '2000kg'?

4 and 6 cylinder are the same.....

Towing Braked (kg) 2000

Towing Not Braked (kg) 750
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby MacLister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Thansk Stevo... that's great! Was about to call Holden. :)

We're going to go around the local retails, if there are in in the Brisbane area, and take a look. I really liked the shape and size of the one from GIC, but am now worried that the trailer is no good, and that it will sag due to not-good fabric.

The ones you guys mentioned above are a bit more pricey, so I might have to start looking 2nd hand... We'll go to the show on the 22nd to 24th... and see what's there. Are there sepcials to be had? Or is it just a demonstration of trailers?

Thanks for all the comments, by the way. I'm trying to learn quick.
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Specials there Mac...I still recommend that you have a look around....gives you a good measure as well.

Have a look here too...lots of pre loved CTs for sale on this site. http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm

I believe the trailers are well made from gic but they put a premade tent on top. I don't think they actually make the tents themselves. A few companies do that as well. You can find a trailer company that makes good trailers then puts a different tent on or one from oztrail etc. That is how they keep costs down.

I found a brand that I liked and tried to find a secondhand one. I got lucky. As mentioned earlier, there are a few decent brands out there so it's a matter of trolling the classifieds etc til you find one.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks guys... we're going to travel about on the weekend, taking looks at places that sell them. I checked the guys in Capalaba, online, but their site has no photos of the one trailer that's in our price range. Others were going for between 21K and 35K! Wow! That's around 4 to 5 times my budget! :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby MacLister » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 pm

My wife and I are doing our pre-bed evening browse, and we'e seen this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAMPER-TRAILER-/ ... 2a0acb41b8

Hard to see the make. Anyone have any idea if this is any good?

Then there there's one labelled as 'OzTrail':

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oztrail-Camper-7 ... 1e5e9d3734

That looks a nice size.

And we both really liked this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OZ-TRAIL12-CAMPE ... 3a5f42bcfe

Again, OZ Trail 12... ? Anyone heard of it?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Next

Return to Camper Trailers