next camping trip

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

next camping trip

Postby sienna » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:37 pm

I've been looking at the pet friendly camping spots this arvo, in readiness for our next trip out.
Neurum cr, sandy cr both look good. Or even at Atkinson dam waterfront caravan park which is pet friendly too. This one has cabins for the lazy camper (ok I mean me) in case my mum can't come.
I'm trying to coincide with mum's days off so will let you know. Hopefully sometime end of oct or in nov.

I've got the bug!!!!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: next camping trip

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Good spotting Sienna.....I looked on the net and the dams now nearly full (few inch's deep a year ago).....but its looking good now.....seems like a nice place that we haven't been to yet.....and the prices are very fair ($7- nite for singles)...$14- doubles +$5- extra for power (little bit steep)...suppose it still only works out at $19- nite double which would be under the average price now days.

Price list-------

Accommodation Information and Price List

Cabins start at $40/night for 2 adults
Extra adults $5/night/person
Extra child $3.00/night/person

Cabins require to bring your own linen, blankets, pillows etc.

Camping Fees

Under 2 years Free
2 – 11 years $4.00/person/night
11 years and over $7.00/person/night

If you wish for a powered site it is $5.00/night extra on the above charges

We have chooks and dingaling and at times various wild small animals and birds.

At the moment the dam is at more than 80% of capacity. We do have a swimming pool.

I hope this information is helpful.

Do not hesitate to phone for further assistance.

Evelyn & Noel Tumney
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 pm

$40 a night for a cabin is very cheap.
I don't mind bringing my own linen. It's n big deal.
Still can't get a hold of my mum. She must still be camping herself. Half her luck.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Chicky Babe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 pm

spent xmas hols at Atkinson Dam in 2008...nice owners/managers..pool was soooooooo cold...even though it was soooooo hot....I had to connect my waeco up to power after the 2nd day with two new batteries. to keep it running it was so hot... We knew when we had to go to the pool just by touching the top of our heads. The pool is under a huge tin shade roof and cause we were so hot..the pool was sooo cold... but it was a good spot to camp...not much water..had to wade thru the algae..put a tarp down to get through the cow c..p!!! Amenities were great...owners friendly and helpful even came back from Gatton with wide brim hats for us all!!

Be careful of the storms between Dec & Jan...come from the west and like cyclones...real quick...people down by the water lost their tents, gazebos etc in the dam...so be mindful of how you set up with your camper...camper walls to the west people. I wouldn't go back in summer but definately around end march, april...insects real bad and love the lights at night...
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 am

Good info from the ''Redland Chick''......Thanks.....Hopefully with the dam near full now that will solve 1 of the probs....Then,,,,I reckon the seasons have changed alot over the last 2 years....getting back to how they were when I 1st moved to Oz......even yesterday...beautiful day....rained last nite...now beautiful day again....(was like that back in 89,,,when we lived in Perth as well...)...Plus I don't know if I'm turning in to a soft Aussie or not,,,,but the summers have not been anywhere near as hot over the last few years.
I'm pretty sure we were down in Tamworth around the same time in 2008 and had shocking winds howl through there as well turning peoples tents /gazebo'e inside out.
Got a mozzie problem ????? then drink more gin & tonic......great deterrant...lol :beer

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:36 am

Atkinson Dam is currently at 85.1% . I thought I'd posted pics etc from my camp there in February this year.....obviously not.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:01 am

I was talking to my M-I-L and she was saying the lake used to double as a golf course when it was empty ,,,many years ago

Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for the heads up om the insects Chicky Babe. I hate camping with bad insects. So annoying trying to keep them at bay. And for those of us who don't drink gin and tonic....? Rosco, what do we do?! :-bang
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 am

Yes a dam camp sounds good,looked at those a while ago but because of low water levels didn`t go.
I also want to check out Mullumbimby some time,there is Maccas camping ground which looks lovely and camping at the footy field which looks like it is on the river.
http://www.byronevents.net/macas/index.html
http://www.hostingwell.com/~aussiega/di ... 108&cat=35

Infact Mullumbimby might be quieter at Easter time rather than the usual packed out places.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 am

They look good. Will definitely need power cos bub will be bottle fed and I need to be able to warm up bottles.
I think the footy grounds have power options. I hate it when websites don't have a lot of info on them.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 pm

And for those of us who don't drink gin and tonic....? Rosco, what do we do?! :-bang[/quote]
****************************************************************************************************
Thats so easy Sienna......Ya just sit by Avis.......Shes like a magnet for attracting them...lol
Trust me,,,,We have every sorta mozzy / midgie killer / deterant (apart from a machine gun..lol) ...that money can buy....
Strangely enough,,,we had it all on the ready down at Mt. Warning...and as you know...they certainly wern't a problem down there....
I had my spider killing stuff ready as well...but that also wasn't a problem (I reckon that small spider in Poodles pics was the only spider there)

Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Yes those web sites don`t have much info, i did email Macca once and he did send me a good reply.Yep definately a powered site with a bub.I`d take Chicky Babe up on her offer of her daughter wants to baby sit a baby..lol
Another thing i looked at a while ago Sienna was Holiday houses at Bribie Island,Some of them are only 300/400 for a week,that could be something you and your mum could enjoy especially when the new bub comes. They have Pet friendly ones too.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Rosco1 wrote:I was talking to my M-I-L and she was saying the lake used to double as a golf course when it was empty ,,,many years ago

It was empty last year Rosco...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby tamposm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Good spotting Sienna.....I looked on the net and the dams now nearly full (few inch's deep a year ago).....but its looking good now.....seems like a nice place that we haven't been to yet.....and the prices are very fair ($7- nite for singles)...$14- doubles +$5- extra for power (little bit steep)...suppose it still only works out at $19- nite double which would be under the average price now days.

Price list-------

Accommodation Information and Price List

Cabins start at $40/night for 2 adults
Extra adults $5/night/person
Extra child $3.00/night/person

Cabins require to bring your own linen, blankets, pillows etc.

Camping Fees

Under 2 years Free
2 – 11 years $4.00/person/night
11 years and over $7.00/person/night

If you wish for a powered site it is $5.00/night extra on the above charges

We have chooks and dingaling and at times various wild small animals and birds.

At the moment the dam is at more than 80% of capacity. We do have a swimming pool.

I hope this information is helpful.

Do not hesitate to phone for further assistance.

Evelyn & Noel Tumney

Thanks for this reply :+
tamposm

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm

sienna wrote:They look good. Will definitely need power cos bub will be bottle fed and I need to be able to warm up bottles.

And what about the good old fashioned saucepan and water on stove sienna......worked well for many, many years before microwaves.

Also consider that where you camp might have a camp kitchen.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat