Baths for kids

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with children and babies.

Baths for kids

Postby MacLister » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi guys,

We're planning a 7 day trip to a place near Hervey Bay. We were going to stay in pre built places, but as we're thinking of getting a camper trailer, we though we might just take the trailer then. However, we're going with a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 7 month old. How do you bath them at night if you're camping?!

Hope someone can help.
MacLister
Captain Camping

Re: Baths for kids

Postby Titch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

We used the trusty old bucket for our kids.
30 years later, they still have there arms and legs.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:49 pm

I always just used a plastic tub....in fact I have been known to use it myself when the need has arisen....there are no safety or hygiene issues that I can think of as to why it would be a problem.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chippy 76 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I just let them go for a swim! lol ...

Cheers Chippy :D
chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm with Chippy. Who needs a bath when there's an ocean or river nearby. :lol:

I've seen someone use one of those big plastic baskets that you can now get anywhere. She managed to squeeze a 5 and a 6yo in there together!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 pm

Lin wrote:I'm with Chippy. Who needs a bath when there's an ocean or river nearby. :lol:

I've seen someone use one of those big plastic baskets that you can now get anywhere. She managed to squeeze a 5 and a 6yo in there together!

I prefer to Squeeze oranges,they taste better :***
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Now that I think of it.....my daughter used to use one of the large plastic tubs (rectangular) that she packed her pots in....it served a dual purpose.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Unless you are bush camping which i doubt you are at Hervey Bay the parks will most likely have a amenities block with showers. Surprising how good a wash you can have in a bucket or take a camp shower,either solar bag which hold 20 litres or one you plug into your cigarette lighter.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MacLister » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks guys!

The place does have showers, so that takes care of the 2 year old, and the 5 year old. It's the 7 month old which won't take well to the shower - or will she? Maybe she will! :) Plane B could be to take her bath with, I guess, then fill it with warm water - as we do at home.

Thanks!
Craig and Melanie
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:21 pm

A 7mo would easily fit into an average sized plastic storage box? I use one for my kitchen gear that I then use to do the dishes in. That way you don't have to take anything extra.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Breidi Mac » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm

I have 3 children, the youngest being 20 months old, we have been camping with the youngest since she was 8 weeks old. She either has a shower with me and when she was smaller the oldest daughter would hold her while i got dressed or i have a tub (just a washing up basin) that i wash her in. She loved showers right from birth. I reckon it was easier when she was little, Now that she is walking she has a shower with me or Daddy,
Problem is now, as soon as your back is turned she escapes naked under the shower cubicle door , i have to quickly wrap a towel around me and go after her. Cheeky so and so!
Breidi Mac
Camping King

Postby Chicky Babe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 am

YEP...wash up container the best...we had a square red one...used to put it on the table...with the view of the mountains behind us...give em quick wash with a giggle or two...hand em on to someone to dry...then rinse off ready for the dishes...woohoo...got a photo but my daughter would be mortified if I put it up for all to see...she loves the photo though...very simple life that she loves about camping!!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby MacLister » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:22 am

Sounds fantastic...
One thing I am learning though... Make use of what you have. :)

Thanks guys...
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 am

If it's warm enough, a trigger fitting (I got mine from bunnings in the shower isle) on your hose will be good, assuming you're near a tap :) ). I use one for hosing off sand etc after the beach. As the others have said, a bucket or similar thing will be fine for the 7mth old. Actually if there are laundry facilities, use the sinks in there. They are usually quite big and deep, perfect for bubs to splash in and there's heaps of bench space. That's what I did when my 4yo was little. I used to rinse the sink out with some vinegar first, just to clean it a bit.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I do believe Sienna that some parks have now stopped bathing babies in the laundry another health and safety rule..we just used to pine o cleen before and after.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to Camping with Kids