Have just made this site my home page!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Have just made this site my home page!

Postby jetag » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:15 am

Hi everyone, I introd myself on another thread, but am exited about our trip so I thought I'd give my own thread a go. We have sold all our possessions and are heading off around Aus in two weeks for the trip of a lifetime. We have 5 kids between 2 families and we will homeschool them on the road in between fishing and (UGH)working. We are tenting (what I call "Flash Camping") with everything that opens and shuts. We are in Tully in NQ and hope to do the "Lap" by next New Years. Would luv to keep in touch when possible and post photos but need to know how. Help please!!!!!
You can't take your money to heaven!
jetag

Postby Scolers » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:35 am

SOunds like you guys have got it made!

Welcome to the forums too! :?#

Would be great if you can keep contact and let us all know how it's going and maybe even throw ina few pics ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:47 am

How long are you intending to go for? (also posted this in the other thread... so ignore that one!)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby jetag » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:40 am

Sorry, saw other thread first. Answered on that one. Lets talk on this one hey, seeing how it is mine!
jetag

Postby elpaulos » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Don't forget the photyos
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby bushcamper » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Sounds great, interested to know what sort of gear and rigs you are taking......tent type, sleeping arrangements, fridge, vehicles, trailers etc etc?

One year doesn’t sound long enough, very jealous

:+
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:45 am

hey this could get confusing.. two thread, intermixed replies!

Sounds great... long time to live in a tent but I guess you'll learn what works and what doesn't as you go. For the younger kids shouldn't be a problem regarding schooling but the old one might take a bit more work on your behalf! Maybe they can do a detailed report on Fishing around Australia!

We're (the Mrs, 2 kids 5 & 8 and myself) doing a 14week 1/2 lap (Melb->up the hi-diddle-diddle->around the West coast->back home) in the middle of the year, but with a camper in tow.

So, will be looking forwards to hearing some of your experiences and seeing some photos.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Kramer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:28 pm

Yeah a fishing report would be good, I went up to cape york and didn't catch squat, but we didn;t have a boat either :(
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby jetag » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi guys, sorry so long for the reply. Trying to rake in the last few bucks B4 heading off (packing gorilla fruit).

We are taking our 98 Nissan Patrol. We have fitted out the back with home made drawers (look v professional - will post photo when digi cam arrives). We have an Engel 60l fridge/freezer which we will use as a freezer and are taking a 60l esky for day to day. We are towing our 3.85m tinny which of course doubles as a trailer (30hp Mariner on the back). Can not possibly go without the boat!!!!!!!

Our clothes, swags and basic not too heavy gear will be carried on the roof along with fishing rods and tent poles in PVC pipes. The back of the patrol will be utilised as kitchen space, but we also have a couple of tables for that sort of thing.

The boat will carry the table and chairs, recovery gear, fishing gear and all the incidental stuff - shovel, shoes that sort of thing.

We have a flash tent which we just bought from BCF with three rooms, and all will be under tarp.

Don't forget there is another family coming along so we definately won't be short of gear (or kids).

I know what you mean about a long time in the tent, but I also think you are right when you say that we will sort it out along the way.

The kids have heaps of space in the back seat of the patrol. I got them chair bags made by Michelle's Sacs. They hang on the back of the driver and passenger seats and have heaps of little pockets for their school stuff, cards, gameboys etc. We also purchased a lap top so they can watch DVDs on long hauls (or at night).

I'm rambling on hey.

We also installed a dual battery system an got extra power points put all through the car. All in all it sure has not been cheap, but why be stingy hey. It has be comfortable.

11 days to go.
jetag

Postby elpaulos » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:27 am

no no no ramble on some more. :o
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Postby jetag » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:08 am

I guess everyones gone camping!
jetag

Return to Introductions: