HACKERS ON SKYPE

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

HACKERS ON SKYPE

Postby Val n Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi all, just a warning, I had a Skype call the other that looked like it was coming from my grandson. He didn't say Hello Nan as he usually does, just said I'm sending you a picture, click on it. (also didn't have his Webcam on) and have a look. I tried to click it but my Antivirus blocked it. Lucky for me cause it was a Hacker that had taken over my Grandsons computer. My Antivirus saved my bacon. Please make sure you have good Antivirus protection. Another scam is Hackers are ringing people and saying they are from Microsoft and that your computer has a virus, they can help you out if you turn on your machine and log into an account they give you. They then have control of your computer if you do it. Please be careful. There are so many hackers around and they are getting more and more crafty. Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Re: HACKERS ON SKYPE

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Always good to hear a ''happy ending''.....AY
Just as an interest.....what anti-virus system are you running ????

Cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Val n Rob » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Rosco, I am running Avast, there is a free version and a pay one, I have run the free version, but now have the pay one. It seems to be pretty good, has saved me anyway. It updates each time you turn your machine on. Cheers Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:05 am

Good to hear that its AVAST that you use as I have the same......was this before you got the paid version ???
Ha....still gives me a fright every now & then when it blasts out that it has been ''up-dated''...lol

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Val n Rob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Rosco, no, it was just the other day it all happened, (with paid version) but I never had a problem even with the free one. I think it is a very good Antivirus. I tell all my family to get this one. :cheers Val
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:54 pm

True....I swapped from ...AVG... ago and have been happy with it
I still think....MALWARE BYTES ANTI-MALWARE is the best of the lot...so I keep it on just to keep AVAST honest

Cheers

Rosco
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:36 am

I use Avast on my desktop, but decided on AVG for my laptop as I found Avast was taking up lots of memory and bogged down my computer. I've never had any issues with either of them.

A few years ago, before I had a firewall and proper anti-virus, someone hacked into my computer to get my internet account details and sent vast amounts of spam using my dial-up connection. I got slapped with a bill from Telstra that was close to $1000, I believe. I managed to prove that the spam hadn't been sent from my ISP and they waived the bill. I've been very digilent ever since.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby padfoot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:37 pm

I use Skype quite a bit to keep in touch with the family OS.

Thanks very much for the heads up

cheers
Annette
padfoot
Camping King

Return to General Chit-Chat