Good Quality Chairs and Tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Good Quality Chairs and Tents

Postby makemwild » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Hmm, I guess all I can do now is go and check the tent out myself. Coleman seems to be recognized as a good quality brand so I'll probably base my decision partly on that. Money isn't much of an issue but if I would rather pull my hair out one hair at a time than having to repeatedly take back a product to the store that has been designed with more flaws than Barbra Streisand's nose...
makemwild

Postby Lin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:29 am

I just looked at the Coleman website again and see that they have an Overlander 'wide body'. Not sure how different that is. And then there's also the Lakeside one, which seems to look a little bit more like the BW Mojave shape-wise. Ie. it has 2 poles in the vestibule. And windows in the vestibule sides too. The extended one has a fully enclosed vestibule too, if that is what you would prefer.

But then it doesn't seem to have the ventilation thingies down the side. If you camp a lot in winter, the more ventilation the better, I reckon.

Have fun checking out tents!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby makemwild » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:53 am

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, have had exams which have taken me away from my extra curricular activities :bunny.

I ended up purchasing the Overlander 4 cv. Is yet to arrive but managed to get it for $229 off Ebay, which, I don't believe is too expensive. Will let you know how it holds up against Fraser Island and some of the Australian Desert later in November.

The chairs I still haven't got around to, but I think I'll be sticking with Coleman. Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the feeling most people have a good experience with Coleman equipment.
makemwild

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

I think the only Coleman gear I have is my old tent, which I've already raved about, a simple 2-burner gas stove and a lantern.

The stove I'm not overly happy with and I want to replace it with the Eventemp stove. Mainly so I can turn the burners down lower because my current stove tends to burn things that need a low simmer. The gas lanterns I haven't used yet as I have no mantles for it. I wonder if I accidently threw them out when I unwrapped it or if they just weren't included. :oops:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:52 pm

I haven't had a bad experience with Coleman stuff and we have two of the chairs, a stove and latern and so far they have been perfect.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:56 pm

I agree....Coleman is a pretty good name in camping gear.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm

anyone seen the BCF advert on TV?

Two fellas sitting in chairs, one reclines his chair and the other says "nice chair!", then the recliner chair dude gets up and gets a drink and asks the other if he wants a drink and the dude says "nah i got one" pulling it out of his chair cooler and the other dude says "nice chair!"

welp, i have that recliner chair, and it has no drink holder!!!! what were they thinking!! a comfortable chair hat reclines and no drink holder!!? ::()
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby makemwild » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

stevo. wrote:anyone seen the BCF advert on TV?

Two fellas sitting in chairs, one reclines his chair and the other says "nice chair!", then the recliner chair dude gets up and gets a drink and asks the other if he wants a drink and the dude says "nah i got one" pulling it out of his chair cooler and the other dude says "nice chair!"

welp, i have that recliner chair, and it has no drink holder!!!! what were they thinking!! a comfortable chair hat reclines and no drink holder!!? ::()

In the end you want a chair that you can sink back into, and a drink/beer holder on the side.

What you have experienced is the making of a nightmare come true.
makemwild

Postby Chicky Babe » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 pm

My teenager's chair broke on the last camp and i forgot to replace it..well she reminded me the day we were going camping she needed a chair ::() horror... she has had the $10 cheapo from Big W since she was 4 so popped into the local camping shop (no time to shop around) and she scored this

http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/pdf/p ... kChair.pdf

Set up at camp and as she always pinches my chair...thought I would repay the compliment and be blowed her's was so damn comfy I was cranky at myself for night giving her my old one and me get the new one. Love it!! $79 back in August. It does have mesh in the back, I just sling a towel under the removable head cushion in the cooler months and it is light as at 3.7kgs. Can't comment on how long it will last...we'll see!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby stevo. » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 am

So you be pinching her chair all the time now? :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Yep...it totally annoys her...payback is a bxxxh!!! Mine is a coleman and have been very happy with it up till now! :+
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby makemwild » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Gear Report:

Headed up to Fraser Island, stayed there for 6 days, came back inland through Mildura, Mungo National Park, and Little Desert National Park.

The Cooker: I ended up buying a Coleman 2 burner gas cooker. First issue I had with it is I had to purchase an adapter to connect the cooker to the cylinder. Apart from that, the cooker is great, has cooked meals for 6 people, and the wind protector seems to work quite well. Only annoying aspect of the cooker is that one of the knobs is, not loose, but not stable. The knob springs back a little when you turn it. Apart from that, for $140 it has proven itself to be a great cooker.

The Chairs: I chose to go with Primus (which are owned by Coleman I believe), the chairs cost me $90 from Anaconda and have a strong sturdy cup holder on the right, pouch below, and a big cooler/pouch on the left. Very comfortable chair and was easy to pack up, fold, etc, despite sand getting in the joints it didn't seem to jar the folding mechanism. http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index ... 1286335050

The tent: A Coleman Overlander 4CV. http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/gear ... -4-cv.aspx

to setup: setting up the tent takes about 10-15 minutes with one person once you have done it a few times. The poles slide in and out really easily.Very easy tent to setup, same system as most dome tents. It is really difficult to set it up perfectly (as setting it up the 10 times I did I only managed to achieve this once). Usually a little bit of the annex will show, allowing water to drop in and pool. However, just use a tea towel or sponge and it is easily cleaned outside of the annex.

Usage: In sun- This thing has about 7 different air flow ports, and trust me, it needs it. In the sun being inside this tent is like being in an oven. I had every air flow port open in the sun, but if there wasn't a breeze it could get really uncomfortable in there.
In wet- I didn't come across too much wet weather but it held its own. Was very sturdy and strong. Most of the annex remained dry, as long as the annex was facing slightly downhill (where possible) it didn't really remain an issue.
There is a lot of space inside, enough for a double mattress and some room to move around comfortable.

Sorry that this is rushed and not organised in a better fashion but I am just trying to get my general thoughts down on the equipment.

Would recommend any of this gear to people who are looking. Tent was around $214 from memory.
makemwild

Postby Lin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 am

It surprises me that the connector didn't come with your stove? I wasn't very happy with my Coleman stove. Mainly because it's too hard to regulate the flame. Which is why I want to buy an Eventemp stove now.

And I'm very impressed that you can set up the tent on your own in 15-20 mins! I think it still takes me 30. I never really had a problem with getting the tent right, except for getting the front side panels of the annex taut. They always are a bit awkward and I'm usually unable to get the pegs all the way in.

I think all tents get really hot in the sun. But at least the Overlander cools down quickly once the sun goes down.

Glad you like your purchases and enjoyed your trip!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback makemwild!! :+

How was Mungo??? We are thinking of heading that way at Easter, Wentworth, Mildura & a day trip out to Mungo..... any suggestions on what not to miss????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Previous

Return to Gear Guide