Camping in SE Qld

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Camping in SE Qld

Postby offroader » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 am

I regularly go camping by self, usually once a month and was wondering if anyone out there is interested in tagging along. This month (Nov 10 - 13) I am going to Mt Mee State Forest. I have Permits to Traverse and camping.

Over the Christmas period I am planning to go to Boonoo Boonoo Nat Park, Bald Rock Nat Park (both NSW), Girraween Nat Park, Sundown Nat Park and Queen Mary Falls Nat Park (all Qld) in the period 17 Dec - 1 Jan.

If you are interested in tagging along for any part or the whole trip drop me a line at nicke125@hotmail.com.
offroader
Boy Scout

Camping in SE Qld

Postby Joy » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi offroader,

The trips sound fantastic, not easy to get people together in the first instance. We are starting to get a few people here and there with similar interests it is a case of slowly but surely. Any chance of getting some pics and a bit of a park review on your return we will post it and get people in the mood (so to speak). I think when people start seeing some of these places off the beat and track a little the interest will build. So what do you think, a few pics and a review or two?
Joy
Joy
Site Admin

Postby Ingenious » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:18 am

Giday offroader,
I would love to join you, I've also just got all the permits etc. & have been wanting to check out Mt Mee for ages, but work load at present would only allow me a Sunday drive depending on how things work out, so where are you planning on camping? so IF I do finish up going for a drive, I can stop in & say giday in person. (inside Mt Mee or at Nerum Creek)
Cheers terry.
Ingenious
Camping King

Camping in SE Qld

Postby offroader » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 am

Hi Joy, thanx for you reply. No worries, I'll try and do a review for you and get some pics. :wink: . I also have been to Kennilworth State Forest, Cooloola National Park and The Border Ranges within the last 3 months. I love to get away once a month to somewhere I haven't been before.
Nick
Last edited by offroader on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
offroader
Boy Scout

Camping in SE Qld

Postby offroader » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:25 am

G'day Terry, I'll be camped at Archer Camping area, all weekend and am planning to be out of there by about 10am on Sunday. If you call in I'm in a white NH Pajero in campsite #3 :D Will be arriving there about 8am tomorrow (Thursday).
Nick
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby Ingenious » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:57 pm

Hi again Nick,
I was very pleased to meet up with you on my solo day trip to the 4x4 tracks at Mt Mee, first time there for me & I just loved it, the Archer Camping area is fantastic but I'll leave it to you to tell everyone about it, but I am looking forward to camping with you in the future & I can see we will have more & more happy campers in our group as the year rolls on. Keep us posted on your Chrissy trip plans :wink:
Cheers Terry.
Ingenious
Camping King

Camping in SE Qld

Postby offroader » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:27 am

Hi Terry,
How amazing was our meeting up.......of all the tracks at Mt Mee and all the time to be somewhere we both arrived at Diana's Bath Rd at the same moment :shock: How was the other side of the mountain? Did it get worse?

And yes, Archer is one of the best camping areas I've been to. Booking is essential as there are only 9 campsites, and very well spread out, but, speaking with the Park Rangers it is allways full on weekends. By the way the Rangers are very friendly and only too willing to give advice and / or chat.

The facilities there were spotless when I arrived on Thursday, and I had the place to myself untill Friday afternoon. If you go there you will need to bring your own bush shower, but there is a large cubicle in the facilities block with a hook and rope to help you get a good shower.

The drinking water is provided from a rainwater tank next to the facilities block and appears a little brackish, but it's fresh and will not give you any ill affects. There are taps around the campsites which draw from Neurum Creek, which runs along the campsite, but this water is NOT for drinking.

Neurum Creek is a beautiful and tranquil creek with turtles and if you are very quiet in the early mornings you will see a platypus in the swimming hole at the northern end of the camp ground.

The snorting of feral pigs at night took a little getting used to, but you do get used to it.

If you get the chance, pre book yoiur site and go. I noticed on the website that it is already heavily booked for the Christmas period.

Some photos to come soon.
Take care
Nick
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby Ingenious » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:08 pm

Hey Nick.

Re: How amazing was our meeting up.......of all the tracks at Mt Mee and all the time to be somewhere we both arrived at Diana's Bath Rd at the same moment Shocked How was the other side of the mountain? Did it get worse?

It was very amazing I nearly didn't stop at all until I remembered White Pajero, I thought to myself, I wonder if that's Nick!!!!

The Diana's bath road via the directions in the Dirty Weekends in south east Qld book, tells you to stop at the creek & walk to Diana's Bath (which I didn't do due to time constrants) The road/track down to the creek & back was very easy 2wd track with small washed out sections in places, but on the way back along Diana's Bath track the book tells you to take a track on your left called K Break (fire break track) which takes you back to the Rangers Station, well it started steep but O/K till I think about 750 or so metres in when it was too late to turn around & chicken out, the track was about 45 degrees or more straight up with an off camber to the left with a very rocky chewed out cliff face appearance, the only thing I could do was keep the steering straight & hope the tyres didn't let go as traction looked good if I had enough wheel travel to keep the tyres on the ground. I was fairly well SH#TTING myself I don't mind telling you & was very relieved to get to the top (with only just a hint of loss of traction for a second) where the track flattened out to easy again.
:oops: I really need to put a rear diff lock in the ute, just for the extra bit of safety when that happens as I don't go looking for anything quite that extreme normally. But I had a ball other than that but would have loved to had a few others along to keep me company though!!!!

Cheers Terry. :wink:
Ingenious
Camping King

Return to Groups & Activities