Complaint about Black Wolf tent

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Complaint about Black Wolf tent

Postby Lin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 pm

I wrote an email to Black Wolf listing some things about their tent that I am not happy with. It is not a bad tent, but as I have mentioned here on a couple of occasions, quallity-wise it just doesn't measure up to my old Coleman and I'd paid more for this one. The main issues I pointed out where the poor quality of the floor (very thin) and the pegs (very thin, lots of them were bent after using them once or twice in moderately soft ground).

My third - and my major gripe - is that I just can't seem to be able to avoid the fly from touching the inner tent without using the guy ropes, even in completely still weather or a sheltered position.

This is part of their response:

" I am not sure what you mean about poor quality of the
floor as we have sold hundreds of these tents and have not had any
complaints, the pegs are just pegs and like the majority of tents on the
market you do need to replace them with better pegs however I can
replace the pegs for you at no charge. As for using the guy ropes on a
dome tent this is a must regardless of the conditions, I have been in
the camping game for 13 years now and when I was in retail which is
where I started I would tell everyone to use the guy ropes even if there
was no wind as you never know when the wind is going to come up, if you
did not need to use them they would not be on the tent."

If you give me your address details I can arrange for a set of pegs that
are a bit heavier to be sent out to you."

First of all, if he claims that pegs are just pegs, why does he offer to send me some that "are a bit heavier"? That was exactly my complaint, that they are so flimsy and I would've expected more for that price. None of my Coleman pegs are bent after years of use!

And on the topic of the guy ropes: I know lots of people do indeed always use the guy ropes. But his point about 'never know when the wind is going to come up' has absolutely nothing to do with my complaint that you need the guy ropes to pull the fly away from the inner tent, on both sides, without wind.

It's a bit of a strange response. I didn't expect a response really. Just wanted them to be aware of some of the issues so they could improve their product. Something that not enough people do. But all this response does is show that they're not really listening.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Complaint about Black Wolf tent

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 am

yeah they sound a bit cranky and not very well thought out response from a public relations point of view. It could be seen as a bit rude even. They could have the same outcome and without having a few digs.

Like " We are always trying to improve our products and greatly appreciate your feedback. We will look at the issues you have highlighted bla bla etc etc. We value our customers and are very happy to send you some free bigger pegs bla bla etc etc"

They could possibly keep you as a customer and you may be posting something postive from them on a forum instead, for all to see.

Tell them, they may not have had any complaints before, or maybe they lost that list, maybe they used it to patch up holes in the floors?, but they do have a complaint now so they'll have to make a new list. Most people wont complain, they just don't buy that brand anymore.

and ask them why they aren't in retail anymore :booty

gees lucky it's not Friday night yet :lol: :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 am

It could be seen as a bit rude even. They could have the same outcome and without having a few digs.

Like " We are always trying to improve our products and greatly appreciate your feedback. We will look at the issues you have highlighted bla bla etc etc. We value our customers and are very happy to send you some free bigger pegs bla bla etc etc"

Exactly Stevo. I work in a customer service area myself and I would never dream of sending a response like that. We always focus on turning it into something positive. Like making sure we tell them that we always appreciate feedback and that we will definitely consider it when we make future improvements to our service, etc.

The underlying tone of the response I got was more a "you are wrong to complain, our product is perfect and you don't know sh*t". :evil:

I would've been more forgiving if I got a good response.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:40 pm

I like this one... "and like the majority of tents on the market you do need to replace them with better pegs".

Tell them, maybe they should just not include pegs if they expect people to replace them with bigger ones. They could probably save thousands by not importing pegs from China and they could charge the same price so they make more profit and employ someone that has better communication skills for customer relations. gees i have some good ideas :armsup :cheers

========

on a different note...

Lin wrote:we always appreciate feedback and that we will definitely consider it when we make future improvements to our service, etc..

That sounds like Andrews replies to my PMs :***
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:06 pm

I wonder if you ask him if he has ever put one of his tents up and used it????????

Wonder what his response would be to that!!!!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Most of the people from the camping store I go to are into camping themselves. Their advice I can take seriously as it's based on experience. There's still always room for interpretation and personal preference, but at least I trust that they know what they're talking about. Being in retail for 13 years or whatever does not give me the same reassurance!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Interesting comment re the guy ropes and his advice to always use them.....I NEVER use them with my DMH tent and have never had a need to in all kinds of weather....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:56 pm

Yep, I was the same with my Coleman, GL. I'm sure I camped in fairly high winds with that one too and definitely in the rain and it was no problem

When I put up my BW tent in strong wind once, the annex completely flattened from the wind without the guy ropes! I find the tent really has some design issues which was why I wrote to them.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:58 pm

It's a pity it fell on deaf ears Lin....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Indeed it is a pity.
After reading that I wouldnt buy a black wolf and I have to admit I was still trying to work out if I go touring tent of black wolf tent next. I think Im going to be spending the big bucks after the phone call I just recieved from Freedom camping too. Talk about customer service! I sent an email earlier today (@ 1:30pm) and recieved a phone call not 5 minutes ago from one of the guys (I think it was Ken - to be honest I forgot to take note). No pressure just asked about my style of camping and gave me recommendations regarding what sort of setup to look to and gave me prices. I couldn't have asked for better service. Certainly puts them to the top of the list - and I KNOW how good their gear is (comparing one of our freinds with a Freedom touring tent Vs the rest of the cheaper touring tents there is no comparison - but there is a large $ difference).

I have a Coleman Challenge 4. Its actually my second challenge 4 the first whilst still useable has a tear where the fabric rotted slightly after being packed away wet and forgotten about for 2 weeks - my bad. With neither of these tents do I need the guy ropes. I do pull the guy ropes for the vestable out to help water drain from the roof rather than pooling. Other wise the coleman is fantastic. I have definately upgraded pegs - in fact I've never event used the original supplied pegs from the second tent I found them the other day still in their plastic. I replaced the first lot when they bent after several trips and some rocky ground made them unuseable. So I can excuse the poor quality of the pegs as they are a cost saving thing. Although im sure if they went to 6.3mm rod or similar rather than the pissy 2mm crap supplied and advertised the tent as "supplied with heavy duty pegs" they could make up the $ difference - cost me less than $20 to upgrade all my pegs and I'm sure most people would pay an extra $20 for their tent to be supplied with good pegs.

I've NEVER in my life had the fly touch the sleeping space on ANY dome tent and that includes $50 kmart tents we used to sleep out in the backyard in as kids.

As for DMH they are guys with real customer (and non customer!) satisfactionin mind. I was given a camp kitchen setup for christmas by my parents some years ago. One of the clips was missing and we couldnt find a brand name to find a replacement. I saw that DMH imported and sold an identical unit. I emailed them to ask if they sold spare parts for the kitchen and if so how much and how could I obtain the missing part. Within a short period of time I had a friendly reply email offering to supply the part (a small plastic clip) free of charge even though I wasnt sure if DMH supplied the kitchen originally!
As such I now look for DMH products when purchasing camping items.

Customer relations certainly makes a difference and word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool - you just want to hope that the right words about your products are coming from peoples mouths.
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Komodo wrote:
word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool

As is the Internet and forums such as this....pity 'they' do not realise how powerful....!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Lin....I'm really amazed to read yours & the others comments re.Black Wolf tents.....from the people I know who own them I only hear words of praise....Easy to errect,good quality, etc etc
The tent peg issue seems to be ''camping -wide''......I even replaced the pegs that came with our CT to the plastic ones which we have alot of success with.....I have 2 different sets....One for normal use and the BIG boys for beach camping.....I do also have a heavy set of metal ones for hard ground.....and I use my ''pick'' for prizing them out...this works very well. :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Rosco, I've heard good things about their Turbo tent. But mine is a dome tent. And although it's not the worst tent I could've bought, I had expected better quality.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:34 pm

The Turbo tent is a very different design and is a much more heavy duty tent.

I've experienced the same problem with the tent pegs Lin, with many brands of tents. They're all made of a very thin metal and it doesn't take much to bend them. They really only seem to be suitable to be used on sand! I learnt my lesson and have lots of heavy steel pegs that weigh a tonne and take up heaps of space but at least I have confidence they'll do the job :)

Out of interest Lin, which model Black Wolf do you have? I have the Tanami 4V, which is about as big a dome tent as I can errect myself and it doesn't seem to have the same issues as yours does with the fly. I eyed off recently some fellow campers Mojave tents and that seems a reasonable design

edit: on re-reading your post, I always use guy ropes but on my Tanami I use less than many other designs of tents. I tend to err on the side of caution and use most of the guy ropes because you can't predict if the wind is going to come up during the night or while you're out bushwalking.
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Robert A » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Rosco1 wrote:Lin....I'm really amazed to read yours & the others comments re.Black Wolf tents.....from the people I know who own them I only hear words of praise....Easy to errect,good quality, etc etc
The tent peg issue seems to be ''camping -wide''......I even replaced the pegs that came with our CT to the plastic ones which we have alot of success with.....I have 2 different sets....One for normal use and the BIG boys for beach camping.....I do also have a heavy set of metal ones for hard ground.....and I use my ''pick'' for prizing them out...this works very well. :beer

I agree with Rosco that the pegs seem to be and issue with quite a few brands I know a vango tempest we have, i bent 2 or 3 of them just hammering them into damp soil first time i pitched it. It seems to be a place where most brands try and save weight and money. I'd be interested to see the plastic ones you got. Do you have a link to something similar.

i've only seen the aluminium y-stakes and titanium ones as good lightweight replacements.
Robert A

Next

Return to Gear Guide