Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Looks lovely & shiny MacLister !!!!!

What CT are you hoping to get?????

Goodluck with it all and look forward to the pics!!! :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MacLister » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:48 pm

It's an OzTRail 12 Twin. Going down on Saturday to see and probably get it. We've emailed an offer - holding thumbs. The ad said Negotiable...

It's was bought new in July '09. And from the pics, looks nice. Trailer looks OK too... so I guess if they accept the offer, subject to it being in advertised condition, then we're driving down on Saturday. :mrgreen:

But then, I guess I should start a new thread, but ... can I still drive my usual speed (on the speed limit) with a trailer? Are there any tips and tricks? Any words of advise with regards towing a small trailer?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Depends on what your usual speed is Mac.....You certainly need to remember that you are towing a trailer and therefore need to keep safety in mind and what would you do IF......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby MacLister » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 pm

Looks liker we're in business!!
The seller has accepted our offer (Ok, they bumped us up by $200, but it's still $400 under the asking price). And we're now planning to drive down and view and collect the OzTrail 12 Twin and trailer on Saturday morning!

::)

Quite excited!!

And we're already planning our first adventure for the following week of the 22nd to the 24th. I guess we'll need to work out what we have, and what we need. We're not sure how to do the sleeping arrangements for the kids! (6 months old, a 2 year old and a 5 year old). We have a travel cot for the 6month old... not sure what to do with the others...

And suddently, I have thoughts of SNAKES! hhe...

This might be out first spot...
http://www.ncbr.com.au/

I'll need to go to another thread and see if anyone has any thoughts.

Wee ha! :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:36 am

MacLister wrote:Any words of advise with regards towing a small trailer?

small trailers are harder to reverse than big trailers, because the wheels are closer to your vehicle so it reactes faster and more dramatically. Take your time and don't panic or stress.

Ask how many Ks it has done. When you get it home check the wheel bearings. Jack each side up (one side at a time) so the wheel is off the ground and try wobble the wheel, it should not have any wobble in it. It may pay to grease up the bearings and axle to be sure. It doesn't matter if the camper is poor quality, but if one of your wheels siezes or falls off you'll be stuck on the side of the road with you family yelling at you. Look after it and maintain it mechanically :booty
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby MacLister » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:31 pm

The big day is about to dawn!

Tomorrow, we're driving down across the NSW boarder to a small town called Woombah - to collect our OzTrail 12 Twin camper trailer!! Trailer has done 100kms, according to the sellers, who say they are selling as they run a business, and don't get time to go away.

:cheers

We're pretty excited! It's a long drive though... Google Maps estimates 3 hours 51! But that's never been good for us, and I think 3 hours will be closer to the truth.

It's 110 a lot of the way. That is a safe speed for a trailer eh?

Will take photos!! :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:24 am

oooo new stuff :armsup

Yeah any speed is ok, i guess you probably should avoid doing fish tails and dohnuts when you have trailer on though! Just remember the amount of weight behind you and it will take longer to stop! :-bang
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:51 pm

The count down had begun,

Where's the pics? :armsup
stevo.

Postby MacLister » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

SUCCESS!!
I think I got a WINNER! I LOVE this thing!

We drove down to Wombah, which took 3 and a half hours! 285kms door to door, with a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 6 month old, along with mom and me.

We arrived and saw it parked in the sellers driveway. MUCH nicer than I expected, and the initial look - it looked brand new!

Met the sellers - what great people! And what a lovely house and place to live!

We chatted, and then they gave me an introduction to it. Man, it looked great! He removed the dust cover to reveal the tent. We opened her up, and it was amazing! They're well designed! We setup the main area. It's massive!! It's a 12 Twin...

He then showed me, but didn't extend the front room. It's amazing...

I didn't know that you could still fit stuff INSIDE the trailer! There's loads of room in there. I thought the tent bit went inside the trailer!

He asked if I was mechanical minded, and I told him I wasn't, and he showed me how to test wheel bearings. It's an off road, which is cool, although I think it will be a while before I test that. He owns construction vehicles, and had this greasing machine, and he greased it all up for me.

Really great people. But then we left for the logn drive home. Towing was easy! He explained that the wheels try to follow the back wheels, and they did! Driving away was easy for the car. I did notice a slight ... shudder on the revs now and again when I accelerated. It was like a bouncing effect. Nothing major, but I'll need to check with someone that that is normal.

Braking was good. I could feel we were heavy, but it wasn't wat I expected. We have a 3L Captiva (Diesel) automatic.

The drive home was uneventful! We stopped at a McDonalds to get some food, end were lucky to get 4 parking spaces empty, to I parked sideways, taking up all the slots. Is that even legal?

Got home, and then the stress started... I live in a slightly narrow row, and the srive way is just wide enough for maybe one and a half cars. But I decided to give it a go, and reverse the trailer in!! First time ever pulling a trailer... First attempt went OK, but the tail started turning too much. So I aborted, and tried again. This time, success!! Although I only intended to get the wheels up onto the drive way... I'd push it the rest of the way. Problem is, the nose of the car was in the road, and my neighbour arrives, and stopped, as I was blocking the road! So, I drove out, to let her pass. :( Darn, I'd have to do it again.

This time, PERFECT!! All the way up. Unhitched, and pushed her into the garage, up against the wall, where she will spend her first night. :)

1.jpg

I'd like to think everyone on these forums for the guidance in herlping me buy a Camper Trailer. I think, taking my bugets and needs into account - I think we've done real good!

More pictures below, as I don't know how to add multiple. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby MacLister » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:57 pm

The tail...

7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby MacLister » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:58 pm

A wheel... Probably not the best, but it looks OK. Trailer is dirty from the drive.... It's actually spotless now, as my 5 year old took a cloth to it after this.

2.jpg
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby MacLister » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 pm

The tow bar thingie.
4.jpg
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby Titch » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Great stuff. :armsup
Just a hint on the reversing, find a Empty carpark and practice, borrow some witches hats and play.
Captiva I assume has power steering, put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand on the wheel Which way you want the trailer to go.
Want the trailer to move to your left,move the wheel from the bottom to the left.
Gets easy after a bit of practice.
Most of all enjoy it.
Nice looking kids, make sure the one with the cloth keeps it cleen :+
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 am

The kids and dog all look pretty excited about it!
stevo.

Postby MacLister » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:46 am

We're all pretty excited! My wife and I have become kids again! :) We've planned our first outing for next weekend. :)

The dog has no clue what it is... :) But he's excited anyway.
MacLister
Captain Camping

PreviousNext

Return to Camper Trailers