Dry shampoo?

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Dry shampoo?

Postby jm2004 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi, over the last couple of years I've been into camping and outback trips and absolutely love it.

I however have a problem with extremely greasy hair. I have to wash it daily (and it becomes smelly and uncomfortable if I skip washing it just for a day). As I become more experienced I want to go on longer and further-away-into-the-outback trips, and might not be able to wash my hair for days.

My option is to shave my hair very short / bald before the trip (not preferred), or try using dry shampoo. My question is for those who have gone the same path, what "dry-shampoo methods / products" do you use which work for greasy hair. Natural or manufactured sprays etc. I've searched for information on the internet and gotten some but I'd love to hear from you in this forum.

Thanks and regards,
Jon
jm2004

Re: Dry shampoo?

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome to posting Jon! (Joined: Sun Feb 21)!!!

Sounds a bit like an extreme situation!!

If it's that bad i'd shave it before the trip, take some 12v clippers with you, love technology, so you'll need a battery/ solar panels, fridge to go with that, .. you'll need the fridge to go with the alcohol, you need alcohol to help with the head shaving.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 am

We use dry shampoo in the nursing home sometimes,not sure of the brand but i believe they have improved a lot,another trick with oily hair is brush talc powder through it will absorb the oil.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Jon.....in the old days Mum always said if your hair goes greasy to quickly its your body sending a signal that theres something else that may be wrong with you...Have you tried using a ''tea-tree'' shampoo ???? good stuff.

:cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby jm2004 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi All, thanks heaps for such quick and informative replies. Well, perhaps I'd been a little too "dramatic". Yes, I do have greasy hair (or scalp) problem but it's not perhaps as bad as how I might have portrayed it :) Please don't avoid me if we happen to be at the same camp ground :grin: It's a problem / characteristic but definitely manageable.

Looks like I will combine the approaches i.e.:
- much shorter hair during long trips
- will use those dry shampoo / powder (I'll try those early, well before the trip so I know how it impacts me)
- and definitely I won't be using hair gel (I only use it very sparingly anyway, but it helps with the hair as I work in a field requiring a reasonable presentation).

Best regards,
Jon
jm2004

Postby Lin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 am

They do also say that the more you wash your hair, the more it needs washing. So not washing for a few days when away might actually be beneficial in the end!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Tahlee R » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 am

Lin, I have the same problem too and need to wash my hair everyday. Was reading through a magazine yesterday and they advertised a new dry shampoo. It's called Klorane Oat Milk Dry Shampoo. Have ordered some at http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/prod ... mpoo+150ml
Tahlee R
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:48 am

It was Jon wanting the info, Thalee. Personally, I don't care what my hair looks like when camping. I just don't take a mirror :lol:
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Tahlee R » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Oops, sorry Lin. I think you have the right idea about not taking a mirror. :grin:
Tahlee R
Captain Camping

Postby GollyGee » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:26 am

I recall reading something about using Bicarb ... sprinkle in, brush out. Haven't tried it myself though, so dunno how well it works.
GollyGee
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm

I've heard that as well......can be hard on hair if used to often....the ladies at work here said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camping Tips and Locations