Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: Looking to buy a Camper Trailer

Postby stevo. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 pm

GypsyLady wrote:
stevo. wrote:Have you seen the previous pages? It's too late! :***

does not read all the posts but still forms an opinion and posts just the same

Maybe it's a bloke thing, like how we don't need instructions when we buy stuff :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm

stevo. wrote:Maybe it's a bloke thing, like how we don't need instructions when we buy stuff

Sounds about right to me....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

I've been using the little butane gas cooker for ages now and don't really have a problem cooking on it. Sometimes I find that the flame won't go down low enough but a little bit of maneouvering with the knob usually fixes that. I've cooked plenty of stuff on it including spag bog, steamed veges, meat etc.

As for the heater, it says at the bottom of the page not to use it indoors so it would be definitely out for heating inside your ct. I started taking my 4yo when he was 6mths old and while it was at a warmer time of year than now, I've never had a problem keeping him warm at night. Dress bub in an extra jumper and pants if you're worried but you'll find that it's not too bad at night up here in qld even in winter. Also, getting the beds off the ground, where it is colder, will help.

Not sure what you plan on doing for lighting inside the ct. You will find it irritating moving the lantern between rooms. What you choose will depend on whether you go powered or not.

You must be getting excited now with your trip only days away. Better start wishing for fine weather!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks Sienna.

Lighting: I bought some lantener thing, battery powered, but supposed to last around a million years or something. So, will take spare batteries. :) That will be for internal lighting. it's quite powerful, but has 2 settings.

For outside, we have that gas lamp on a pole story. we have a 4kg gas bottle all full and ready, an adaptor to make the side ways nozzle point upwards... we then attach the pole to that, and then the light on top. The pole has an extra nozzle to attach a gas BBQ, or cooker or what ever. So, that will be our outdoor lighting for now. Should be OK eh?

The heater - we could keep it outside, pointing inwards? So, we'll have the front awening up... maybe under the front of that, pointing inwards? The heat should flow into the tent? Does that seem OK? Or, maybe just go heater-less. The weather doesn't look fantastic... but we'll see how things go.

yeah, we're extremely excited! I got a few hours off work, so I'll leave my office in brisbane at 14h00... home by 14h45... car will be packed... hook up the trailer, and should be at Neurum Creek by maybe 16h15... With time to setup. We bought the little packs a cereal for kids (I still think I'm a kid, so will also have some) for mornings... and we'll do bacon and egg rolls as well. Saturday lunch will be sausage rolls with fried onion, along with yougarts for the kids... We're not 100% sure what to do for dinner yet... Sunday would be the same, I guess.

Yuop, we're still learning. :)

Can someone point out a suitable low pressure cooker? I'm unsure what they are.
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Seriously, I wouldn't worry bout the heater. We went camping at the beginning of oct and it rained all weekend and we didn't get cold, even at night time. With the tent closed up and all thos little bodies inside, you'd be surprised how warm it can get.

Sounds like you've got the lighting sorted. The gas lanterns can throw out a lot of light. Make sure you have a gas lighter thing or long matches as sometimes they can be a slow to light up...well mine can anyway. And you've got to have the ligther thing for your gas cooker anyway.

If you have any leftovers, you could reheat them in a saucepan for dinner on Friday night. I usually do that these days cos it's really easy after driving and setting up. A cooked chook always comes in handy, too.
That gets me thinking, what are you using to keep stuff cold? If you're using an esky or ice box thing, fill some juice bottles with water and put them in the freezer today so that they'll be frozen in time. They make great ice bricks, stay frozen for longer and if you use drinking water, you can drink it when they do melt.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks Sienna!

I have just called home to get some water bottles filed for ice. :)

Heater idea - dropped. :)

Matches! Would have forgotten them. :)

For keeping things cool, we have an esky. But not sure if it will be big enough to hold enough stuff for the 3 days... but we'll soon find out. It's not like we're in the middle of nowhere. If things go south, there's a McDonalds within 40 minutes or something. :)

For cooking, we have the 2 x single plated gas stoves... that take the butaine cartridges... but ... this might be a good thing?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OZTRAIL-2-BURNER ... 2eaedd2a14
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 pm

It's LOW PRESSURE so it gets my tick of approval.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Yes i looked at them in the local camp store the other day,i thought the grill for making toast and grilled cheese on toast Yummy,Can`t remember the price they were to compare to ebay though.I also have been thinking about the oven one,but now i`m going to Dereks Camp Oven do at Thora i will have to invest in some of them first i think..and practice.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Maccas is always a lifesaver!
And where's there's a maccas, there's bound to be other shops too.
The gas stove looks good. I just haven't gotten round to getting one, mostly cos I have little idea about which one apart from what I've been told here and that is low presure is the way to go. Might put it one my christmas list though. My mum has been asking me to make a list.

Have you got one of these as well as matches? You can get them from cheapo shops and they are much safer than matches. Still take matches as a backup.

While you are away, sticky beak at other campsites to see what they use for cold storage if you feel you are unhappy with your esky. There are many different options depending on how much you want to spend. Most campers will be only too happy to give you advice and show you what they have.

Make sure you take your camera so we can see how your weekend goes. You will have so much fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 am

Sienna .. are those lighter things gas powered? So, when you click them, does the tip stay alight? Or is it just the spark part, to light the gas on the burner or lamp? Not making that clear, am I? :roll:

Are they for lighting things, light a lighter, or match? Or does it just provide the spark to light the gas from the device?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:43 am

yeah maclister, they are just like lighters, they spark and stay alight, great for lighting gas stoves or bbqs :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:20 pm

As stevo said. They stay alight as long as you are holding the trigger down. They do have some fluid in them probably lighter fluid and they do eventually run out. But they are cheap and do seem to last for ages. The ones I have got also have a little safety switch to lock them off.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby MacLister » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 pm

The big day has dawned.... ::)

We're nearly ready! I get off work early... and then we're A-For Away!! :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Enjoy :+ :+
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:31 pm

::) Have a great time and we all look forward to the pic and reports on how it all went when you get back!!! :cheers

We have two of the butane stoves and we have looked at the Oztrail stoves but so far we haven't needed to buy one as the butane's are enough or the campfire. I have cooked big breakies on the butane's, pancakes, heated up casseroles, soups and cooked vegies and they have been terrific. I am now of the belief that I will not buy anything else unless I NEED it, so we havent need the stove so therefore we dont have one!!! :***

We also use the gas lighters for everything and keep two of them in our CT kitchen at all times.

We have a big one of those UFO's lights that run on AA batteries as a light for inside our tent and when we are on a powered site we use a hanging fluro that hubby bought from Repco. We also have three Coleman re-chargable laterns, one big red one and two smaller green ones and that is more than enough lighting for us.

Hope it all goes well and make sure you write down what you need so you don't buy more useless C.R.A.P.....we have learnt the hard way......our shed is full of that stuff...... :*** :*** :***
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to Camper Trailers