Hi all, visiting Pom with questions!

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi all, visiting Pom with questions!

Postby Stocky » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:39 pm

We are planning on doing Cairns to Sydney in a motorhome between 3rd and 16th January. Have booked the motorhome already. It's our first time with a motorhome, although have done a lot of tenting in the past. so not too worried about that side of things.

Any tips welcome and just a few questions.

How necessary is it to book sites aheads before leaving the UK or will phoning ahead a day or two be enough?

Is it ok to park up on a quiet road for the night, and not leave any trace when we leave of course?

Are there any dates that will be very busy at that time?

Any recommended sites gratefully received.

Can't wait to get down under!
Stocky

Re: Hi all, visiting Pom with questions!

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:50 pm

You are going to be hot and busy.
camps 5 will help you.Google it.
before hitting Cairns get fly nets as you will pay a fortune when you get there.
Does the motorhome have a contained dunny ? shower?.
Enjoy the trip to Gods preferred country.
Ti
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Welcome to the site Stocky,

yah check out http://ozcamps.net/, you can use the website, or buy the book, i bought the expensive book, but it looks like heaps of info in there.

yeah basicly in Aus, you can pretty muchpull up anywhere in your campervan and camp anywere you dare to. There's varitions on rules, like you;re not really supposed to camp at certain places, but if you rock up in the afternoon and leave early you can get away with it. depends how much you want to adhere to the rules.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Lin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Welcome and enjoy planning your trip!

Have a look on Ebay to see if you can buy the camping book cheaply. It wil be nice to have when you're driving.

Lots of National Parks don't take bookings so it's first come first serve. Especially handy if you arrive on a day when lots of people are leaving, eg. Sunday arvo.

It will be busy at lots of places (especially closer to the big cities, I imagine) as it's the middle of the school summer holidays.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm

Lin wrote:as it's the middle of the school summer holidays.

oh yeah, forgot to mention that you will basicly die due to the heat in summer in Aus, .. locals sit and do nothing in summer, and you will find that is the best ting to to do :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:26 am

Don't forget to buy and apply lots of sunscreen. Our sun is very unforgiving of pommie skin and our sun burns in 10min flat, probably less for your fair skin. Please be very careful about that cos the last thing you want is heat stroke or bad sunburn on your holidays. Might pay to invest in some long sleeve swim shirts for beach time etc.
Also, while up north near Cairns etc, watch out for signs about stingers in the water. ::()

Other than that, have a great trip!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:14 am

Hi STOCKY.....You will be arriving as the summer heat sets in...as Sienna says,,,keep covered inc buying a hat...
Theres a golden rule in Motor-homing........Try and leave the site cleaner than you found it....DON'T drop waste water on to the ground...there are areas set aside for ''dumping''.....BLACK water into our rivers etc is a NO NO........USE DUMP STATIONS.......If you chose to ''freedom'' camp.....respect camping grounds by not parking outside their gates....and try and keep about 10km out of towns / cities if there no areas set aside for over-nite stops in the town / city (its safer about that far out from the local hood-lums...if there are any in the area.....if you see another camper pull over for the nite.....they will probably be happy for the company...just dont park ''in their faces''....they are probably are there because they enjoy freedom camping as well.....TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU....if there are no bins.....We drive here on the same side of the road as you.....watch for signs for change of speed restrictions,,,,they are getting tough here on speeding / drink driving....From Cairns to Sydney, you will do approx 3,000km...stop for rests frequently ....you will get tired driving in the heat(I always think foriegn drivers arriving here should get a copy of our road rules...just incase we have a few that are different from where you come from)....Try and have respect for vehicles following you....if you see a clearing...signal and pull over and let them pass.....(We have some BIG trucks on the road here)...and when driving from Cairns...watch for sugar cane trains crossing the road....ASK the hire company how to use the gear on the camper.....We once spoke to a camper to let him know that his waste water was coming out into the super-market carpark....he claimed that he was never shown how or where to turn it off.....bit dumb...but it does happen......Other than that (and I'm sure theres more)....ENJOY your holiday here

Cheers

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 am

Try and have respect for vehicles following you....if you see a clearing...signal and pull over and let them pass.....

I like that one. Most foreigners can find it a bit hard to get used to our 2-lane highways. My strategy is always: don't speed (unless overtaking!), don't feel pressured by tail gaters, let people overtake whenever you can and only overtake when you feel comfortable doing so. You also need to know your engine before you decide to overtake on a 2-lane road.

Also try to avoid driving at dawn, dusk and after dark as the wildlife can be pretty hardazous then.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Stocky » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks everyone,

Will look after our skin with lots of slurp and my male pattern solar panel is well used to a hat, even over here!

2 lanes; that's a highway? :shock: I'll take great care, thanks for the heads-up.

Other half is already looking into ozcamps and the book.

Hope to do a bit of both Freedom and Site camping so if anybody has any site recommendations, please do.
:cheers
Stocky

Postby Lin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 pm

If you don't mind roughing it, I would recommend checking the National Parks sites. They're all pretty fanatastic. At most you will have some close encounters with the wildlife and quiet beaches. I don't know that part of Australia well, but check the NP websites for QLD and NSW.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: