climate smart

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: climate smart

Postby stevo. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:10 pm

say what?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Hey I'm the one with a mushy brain cos I'm preggos but what's your excuse, Stevo? :***
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:46 pm

sienna wrote:Hey I'm the one with a mushy brain cos I'm preggos but what's your excuse, Stevo? :***

Ha, ha, ha....can't wait for his reply sienna.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 am

I must have been hanging around you lot too long!

anyway, we're getting off topic, you're supposed to be complaining about the climate smart fella !
stevo.

Postby sienna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 am

Well have been watching the monitor thingy for a couple days and have noticed that when I turn on the pool pumps, they don't actually use as quite as much power as they claim to. That is a good thing. Also, the plasma tv uses no additional power when it is in standby mode as opposed to being totally turned off at the wall. So there you go.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:42 am

sienna wrote: the plasma tv uses no additional power when it is in standby mode as opposed to being totally turned off at the wall. So there you go.

That is interesting....especially when we keep getting told to 'turn everything off at the wall'.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:43 am

stevo. wrote:

anyway, we're getting off topic, you're supposed to be complaining about the climate smart fella !

That's a copout if ever I heard one.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:36 am

I also had an electrician tell me it doesn't make any difference to turn off a plasma at the wall instead of on standby. He told me he never turns stuff off at the wall.
Interesting.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:49 am

I don't have anything as fancy as a plasma but I was probably thinking of other things when I made the comment.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 am

I'm trying to reduce the amount of things i have that need 240v because they keep saying the prices are going up in the future and the new smart meters will get us too, all these bills are getting a bit much and is made worse by the extravigant government spending!

I'm going to by a Caravan and a block of land and live in the bush! But i'll need internet :lol:
stevo.

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 am

I have been turning everything off at the wall for a long time time now and it hasn`t made any difference to our bill. It annoys me that they keep telling us to cut back we`ll be living back in the dark ages soon.We already cook on gas,always turn the lights off other than the room i am in, I`m at work from 1.30 until 10.30 pm so no TV on,we have a twin tub washing machine,what else do they want. I think the hot water uses the most.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Poodle Jewel wrote:I have been turning everything off at the wall for a long time time now and it hasn`t made any difference to our bill. It annoys me that they keep telling us to cut back we`ll be living back in the dark ages soon.We already cook on gas,always turn the lights off other than the room i am in, I`m at work from 1.30 until 10.30 pm so no TV on,we have a twin tub washing machine,what else do they want. I think the hot water uses the most.

You local fire brigade will be happy with you tho.
Seems stuff on standby has a habit of getting warm :?
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I was waiting for someone to bring that up....Your correct Titch,,,Its more of a ''silent'' danger thing,,,,especially if you have cords that are crossed or knotted....these are points where they can actually fuse....causing fire.
We leave most things on at the wall....mainly due to lazyness....
:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

My sister has a Plasma and it's amazing the amount of heat it puts out when it's on!!!!!! ::()

I only noticed it because we dont have a plasma....and when I stand that close to our telly it's not hot at all whereas hers was REALLY hot.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm

With all these big TV's,,,they certainly GUTZ more power than the old ones...we did a test on the power usage and its peak (42'')...was a stunning .50ish cents an hour on max settings.....We then started to experiment....1st by dropping back the ''brightness'' ....power usage automaticaly dropped about 18c.....we carried on dropping settings 1 x 1 and achieved a total of 30c an hour to run it......(brightness was the most noticable drop).....
The elec stove /oven is a killer....as is the common ole electric jug.....
:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit-Chat