draw bar mounted tool box

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

draw bar mounted tool box

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:30 pm

After doing an extensive search with google etc, I have to ask. Where can I get a decent tool box to mount on the front of my ct draw bar? Anyone have some ideas cos I'm going cross eyed.
It does have to be 630mm high minimum which is a bit of an issue potentially and it has to be a minimum of 350mm wide. Other than that, I don't mind.

I am storing some foam mats in it so it won't need to carry much weight.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: draw bar mounted tool box

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Super Cheap comes to mind....Repco is another place....in fact nay of the auto outlets will have them.

Specific size might be a bit difficult.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I thought of those places and also thought that the specific minimum size I need would possibly be the spanner in the works.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 pm

sienna wrote:I thought of those places and also thought that the specific minimum size I need would possibly be the spanner in the works.

You can only try sienna....unless you want one specifically made and I might add at great expense.

The boys might know of somewhere else.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:05 pm

yer Super Cheap, Repco have all those boxes, you might find one that is close enough to the right size?

There a few places that sell things like that for work utes, but they all seem to buy them from the manufacturer and would charge you heaps for a custom size one.

I bought a undertray tool box from Tonga Metal (Toombul Rd), they make everything in the same shed that they sell from, no showroom, you just walk in to the factory kind of thing, but still expensive.

If you want something custom made, find a sheetmetal business, preferably in an industrial estate. Tell them excatly what you want and get them to ring back with a quote. You'll get the best price if you go straight to a factory/sheetmetal business, preferably one that doesn't have any kind of showroom, and the only office is a portable building in the car park.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I found this company on ebay, based on the Sunshine coast. They use 2.5mm checkerplate, which I have found in my looking to be the better thickness.

What are your thoughts?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ALUMINIUM-TOOLBO ... 439deb7a21

The dimensions would work nicely for me and there would be spare room for other things in there as well. Just wondering if I should get the slightly longer box at 1200mm so I can fit in the tent ropes and pegs. Hmmm that might just be a good idea. That way, all the dirty stuff is outside my trailer.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm

That is not really suitable for a drawbar sienna...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:22 am

Excuse my ignorance but why?
I've taken the height measurements and that's ok. I've measured the depth and that's ok. Is it something to do with the weight or the base?
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby chippy 76 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 am

My only concern with putting a box this size on the drawbar , would be overloading the drawbar (and increasing the ball weight) .Remeber it is not designed to take a lot of weight as such, and the temptation would always be there to load up the box with as much stuff as will fit in.

Having said that tho, plenty of tradies carry a compressor on the drawbar with no troubles!

Well thats my two cents worth.

Cheers Chippy :D
chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks, chippy.
I would be putting the foam floor mats in there, the pegs and ropes. Nothing else. The mats are quite light but they are an awkward size hence the height needed. I can't lay them flat cos they would run into the spare wheel. The heaviest thing would be the peg bag and I plan on putting that in the middle.
I am keeping in mind the towball weight which is why I don't plan on putting heavy stuff in there.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 am

We have a checkerplate tool box on the drawer bar of our Customline Sienna, but we got it as an add on when we bought our CT. We got the regular size but there is also a jumbo one as well.

I noticed that Customline also sell them so you could always try Ian and see what he can do for you?

http://www.customline.com.au/cms-shop/index.phps
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks, XB. Prob is that the height is nowhere near what I need, even the jumbo one. I need a minimum of 630mm high cos I can't lie the mats flat as there isn't enough room. So I have to stand them up. Hence the extra height.
I saw something similar in a catalogue today for $400 today. If only I can remember which catalogue it was!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 pm

wrap them in a bag and strap it to the draw bar? cheap and lite :armsup
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 pm

Sienna...Those tool box's will fit on your drawbar no worries...especially if its mainly going to carry those mats you use...P. M . Me if you see one at Repco that suits you as Avis works for them....& I can get it for you,,,,You will have to go ''shopping'' again to buy something ....with all the extra room you will have inside....lol

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 am

I found a guy in nsw who makes custom sized tool boxes for a lot less than store bought ones. He will even ship it to bris for $30. I found his name on another camping website through google.
Is there much difference in strength and durability between 1.5mm thick and 2mm thick aluminium?
It turns out I will be storing the spare tyre in the box as well so that is added weight. Should I somehow reinforce the base or something? I can always ask the guy who is making it.
Any thoughts?
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Camper Trailers