draw bar mounted tool box

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Re: draw bar mounted tool box

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:05 am

Go the 2 mm if you can and ask him to tun a couple of gussets along the bottom.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:13 am

Your other concern here Sienna is that you cannot let it rest on the steel ''A'' frame or you will get a chemical reaction between the steel & the Aluminium.....Make sure you use a packer (like a rubber strip)....to prevent corrosion.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 am

sienna wrote:It turns out I will be storing the spare tyre in the box as well so that is added weight. Should I somehow reinforce the base or something? I can always ask the guy who is making it.
Any thoughts?

That's going to be a big box!

Is the spare wheel on the draw bar at the moment? If so, then it wont make a difference to the weight, but i guess you just mean the weight inside the box for strength? It should be ok, but i think it'd be good if you can fasten the spare wheel down somehow so it doesn't move around.

Yeah Rosco's idea of the rubber separator sounds good. Have you worked out how you're going to fasten the box to the drawbar? Maybe some big U bolts or something?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks, guys. Didn't know bout the steel/aluminium thing so good job you're here.
The box will be 650mm high which is less than the height of the trailer/tent itself and no higher than a vertically mounted spare tyre.
If I put the tyre in the box then I get a bit more room to play with inside the box. I realise that it will need to be secured to stop it from rolling around. I was referring to the strength inside the box, not the drawbar.
Turns out my uncle has some welding gear, too. So I prob could get him to fashion up a bracket for inside to hold the spare tyre.

I have thought about how to attach the box to the drawbar. Some u bolts had crossed my mind. At the show, I looked at one toolbox attachment and they had only screwed it to some little L shaped brackets onto the drawbar. I'm guessing I'll need a bit more than that.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:52 pm

box mounting.jpg

This is a good way to mount the box without doing anything to the drawbar.
First screw the box to some tube.
Then clamp the tube to the Drawbar.
Titch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:05 pm

That's a good picture, Titch.
I didn't want to weld it on so that when I sell the ct I can take the boxes with me. I know you probably wouldn't usually do that but because they will be custom made to fit my stuff I want to keep them with me.
If I secure it like you have shown then noone would be the wiser.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 pm

I personally would be bolting it down through the bottom of the box to the draw bar. Less chance of it disappearing that way.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Titch » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm

sienna wrote:That's a good picture, Titch.
I didn't want to weld it on so that when I sell the ct I can take the boxes with me. I know you probably wouldn't usually do that but because they will be custom made to fit my stuff I want to keep them with me.
If I secure it like you have shown then noone would be the wiser.

I must admit to pulling it from the web, but its close to how ours was fitted.
Cheers ,Have a great weekend .
Titch
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 pm

I'm not sure which way I'll end up going but I reckon I'll be looking at what other people have done and talking to a few different people as well. There's no real hurry so I can afford to look and think then do.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Research is good sienna.......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby seajay » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Can you have the spare resting on the draw bar and secured to the front of the box with some sort of bracket.
It seems a shame to have a box made then take up room in it with the spare wheel
seajay
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks seajay. I will consider that, too. Lucky my mum, who is a seasoned camper, is here to help me decide what to do otherwise I'd be going bonkers with all the possibilities. ::()

At the end of the day, it will come down to cost and the best way to store all the bits I need stored.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby seajay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:45 pm

This is toolbox on front of mine the toolbox has been made to go over the top of the upright that spare mounts off.Dont know what costs that would add but gives you another way of doing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seajay
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:30 pm

We considered something similar, too, Seajay.
At the moment our thinking is to get the second box smaller without the space for the tyre then figure out how to mount the tyre afterwards. It would all still take up the same space but the box would be cheaper cos it's smaller.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Previous

Return to Camper Trailers