new brisbane member :)

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

new brisbane member :)

Postby d b » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

:hello:
gday. i joined up today after searching google for camping in australia forums, this place seems the most active and lots of reviews on camp spots
me and the mrs and 2 girls under 3yrs are wanting to start camping. we have not been camping as a family so i look forward to getting out there.

being new to the camping scene i thought id stop in here first and get some ideas where to go which this site has well and truly provided
were in brisbane and glad to see the queensland sections is loaded with plenty of ideas for many a trip not too far away,, didnt even check the nsw area yet but im sure there is plenty in the northern parts that will be worth a look at it

we did a day trip through 14 condamine crossings near warwick/killarny and stopped off and had a picnic near one of the creek crossings which was awesome, but i was wondering if its legal to camp in amongst it.
i have read here that the queen mary falls has a caravan park, but im hoping to go a little more rough then a place with facilities and there seemed to be a fair amount of space between the road and property boundaries. say 30 metres where we found a nice little day stop over. very nice and would be nice to do an overnighter and move on..

so whats the go with the legalities of camping in qld, or australia as a whole, must it always be in allocated places or is side of the road, as long as not private property and signed is acceptable?
i guess that question moreso applies to places like 14 crossings which are off the beaten track then to the side of a highway somewhere, hope u get what i mean

nice forum and look forward to reading more posts and hopfully starting some of my own about my families adventures
thanks
talk to you soon
d b

Re: new brisbane member :)

Postby stevo. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:17 am

Welcome to the site d b. Does that little area that you're thinking of camping have a big horizontal tree?

I'm not 100% sure, but i would say that all that land in there is private property and the road is called public access, so you'd be on private property all the way through there, but as i said, i'm not 100% sure on that. You could try setting up camp, but you may have to be prepared for some grumpy farmer to come along and tell you to move :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 am

Hi d b and WELCOME to the forum....in fact welcome to camping.

All that area along there through Condamine Gorge is no longer available for camping.....used to be years ago but no longer. In fact there used to be a great little campground called Paddy's Knob....but sadly it is no longer open to the public either.

There are many 'no trespassing and no camping' signs along there and the property owners are pretty vigilant about it. There may well be a 30 meter strip but would you want to risk camping that close to the road with 2 little girls??

I personally would not want to take the chance. I'd be very reluctant to set up camp anywhere you were not sure about the legality of camping.

There are as you have already noted........ so many places to camp legally why would you want to push the boundaries on any that might not be.

Have a look here http://ozcamps.net/ Also consider buying the publication Camps Aust Wide as well.

This is also a good site http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_fo ... index.html

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby seajay » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi d b
I too am just getting back into camping with our 3 kids so as we can do more as a family instead of being on the computer,playstation or watching tv . There are loads of places close to us in brissie area that can be just a quick weekend trip.Might see you out there one day enjoying the great outdoors
seajay
Boy Scout

Return to Introductions: