camp lighting advice?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

camp lighting advice?

Postby d b » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:42 pm

anyone tell me what you find most suitable for camp lighting..

im thinking cheap ebay led lighting
or gas lanterns?
kero lanterns?

i dunno

your opinions and discussion appreciated

cheers
d b

Re: camp lighting advice?

Postby stevo. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 pm

Excellent topic d b :armsup

1. cheap ebay LEDs? - No - research LED lights, make sure you know what you're getting.
2. Gas laterns? - No - I don't like gas laterns, they are fragile, the mantles and glass breaks in transit.
3. Kero laterns? - No - flammable fuels? thing of the past?

What's your usual camp situation? What are you using, car batteries, or small batteries?

I would stay away from "cheap ebay" stuff, you may find it is only like moonlight? Stay away from cheap Supercheap Flouro lights aswell, you will end up spending more money because you'll get fed up with crap lights and then buy good lights.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby d b » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm

hey mate,
im looking for in tent lighting which i deffinately want led for cause weve bought a rooftop tent and lighting in the skirt tent also, flamable liquids and a tight spot ontop of the roof of my car would not go down well.

i figured cheap ebay stuff would do the job for in the tent and skirt cause were only going to sleep and change in there
although it would be cool to have it all running through the one car battery and never have to worry about changing individual batteries

outside i was unsure of what people used
id really like to get a car battery and solar panel setup for lighting outside the tent..and a fridge

it just happens that we have 3 very old kero lanterns my grandfather owned all in good condition, i thought itd be cool to use them but probably too much effort and delicate as you suggested

can you point me in the right direction of known brands of led lights suitable for outside?

as yas know, im a noob to camping. when i was younger my idea of camping was a hand me down 1980's sleepingbag and a fire..if we caught a fish it was sat on a piece of wood and cooked beside the fire and 3 drunk kids picked at it with our fingers till it was all gone
i want to do it with a bit of style these days :booty

cheers
:)
d b

Postby stevo. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 pm

d b wrote:weve bought a rooftop tent

we want photos of the roof top tent ! :armsup

I was interested in getting one of those but they are pretty expensive.

Yeah, if you want to use the old lamps for old times sake that's great, kind of cool. Depends what you want to do. They tend to be pretty fiddly, don't give out much light and are very hot, so present different hazards.

When looking at lighting there's a lot of cheap products out there, but do a bit of research. LED light are good if you want low voltage power. I always worry about LED lights because they aren't that bright really, so you have to make sure you get the right light for the right situation. I'd recommend going in to shops and trying some. Buying cheap ones from the net can be risky, so if you don't mind taking that risk that's ok, or if you know exactly what you're getting that's ok.

PS. oops , drunkin rambling pretending to know what i'm talking about.
stevo.

Postby seajay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 am

I bought some 600mm led lights to mount in my camper I will dig out receipt tomorrow to let you know who I got them through they are plenty bright enough
seajay
Boy Scout

Postby stevo. » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:06 am

I got one of these LED Floodlights, not quite as good as my old Flouro Versa Light, but not too bad, You could attach something like this to the back of your vehicle and have it running from your vehice and would hardly use any power. It was about $130, may seem expensive but should last a long time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevo.

Postby Malcur » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:13 pm

I disagree with the comment re led lights not being very bright. I bought some cheap led strips off ebay and made them up into strip lights with separate switch. We use one in the camper for reading, about 900mm long (72 leds) and gives extremely good light for reading. Also use several outside the tent to light up the kitchen or the sitting area for more reading. Light is excellent. Plus they use very little power.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:58 am

yeah Mal i just had a look on through some ebay adverts, they look ok, i guess if you have enough leds then it'd provide enough light. It's just when i see the "cheap ebay" the alarm bells start going off for me :lol:

Have you got any links to ebay adverts, or photos of the things you bought?
stevo.

Postby Bradd » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:38 am

For lighting up the camp area I use a gas lantern with extension pole
Glass broke, replaced with Mesh, mantles are cheap and last me as long as I'm camped, longer if carefully packed
1.25 kg Gas lasts me 7 - 10 nights
Lights up whole camp area

Inside Camper Trailer I usually use a 5 led round light with magnetic back and remote bought from Anaconda
Have various other led and fluro lights/torches as back up and some of those ones you wear on your head for reading / working
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 am

I use the oztrail LED UFO lights and use rechargeable batteries for them, they have lasted me many long camps b4 needing the batteries replaced, just have a spare set of rechargeables ready. 1 in the kids big tent, plenty of light for them and I have taken to using them in my camper rather than the 12volt one rigged to the battery. They have a hook and magnet on the back. Use solar lights for the annexe and a gas light for outside cooking and general lighting, can't seem to let go of this from my early days, I am the only one in the group camp that uses the gas light though but I have a custom made box to transport so it doesn't break.

As for reading UFO works brilliantly as they have 3 settings you can choose from, spotlight, all round lights or both:
http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/11718 ... ight-.html

or from BCF but about $15. I actually use an energiser led headlight I got from bunnings, doesn't bother anyone else then.

Friends of mine bought 4 LED light strips on ebay for $80 from o/seas and hubby set it up to the battery, she put magnetic strip on the back and uses it on her camper and annexe roof now, gives off great light.

Hope this helps!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 pm

stevo. wrote: I always worry about LED lights because they aren't that bright really,

The new LEDs are square and not round as they previously were. The new square ones give a better spread of light than ever before....They are definitely the way of the future.

The cheap LEDs do not have many lumens whereas the better quality ones do and the more lumens the better the light source. The better quality ones will also outlast the cheapies by heaps.....

Purchase from a reputable supplier.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06 pm

i got myself some of these bad boys. 1 for inside the camper and 1 for near the kitchen.

rigged up with aligator clips and double sided velcro for hanging.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11303

cant go past the price, and are very bright.
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm

These are very good Rosco has them in his CT
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:06 pm

d b ,,,,We are very pleased with our LED'S we have in the CT....infact, I am going to buy another four for a different job.
Unfortunatly I'm a little bit like Stevo and ''Cringe'' when I hear that word ''Cheap'' (nasty word)....I truelly believe that you only get what you pay for.....And as Gypsy mentioned earlier, The Square LED's seem to be more effective than the round.....and expanding the view on the ones in the link above you will see that they are round.....Also the ones we bought can be joined to make an endless chain of them if you chose....from what I could see, the ones on that link cannot be joined in the same fashion.
Sienna might take a photo of her ''portable light''...We were most impressed with it and it put out a great light.
:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 am

You mean my yellow one that I picked almost by accident!
Yeah it is pretty good. Think I still have the box somewhere too. Maybe I should get another one.
Will try to get a picture up later today.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to Gear Guide