vacuum sealing??

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

vacuum sealing??

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 am

Since another weekend away I am discovering I don't really like cooking while camping!! :? Trying to watch the kids, cook their dinner and ours, it's all a bit of a pain in the bottom plus the cleaning up afterwards. We took frozen spaghetti and that was nice and easy, so I have been thinking of doing some cooking of meals in advance to make life easier. I have heard people prepare whole meals and then vacuum seal and all you have to do is re-heat plus everything lasts in the fridge for ages.

Any advice on good brands, bags, and what they can be used for would be great. They are pretty expensive and I seem to be spending a fortune on camping "stuff" in general.... was supposed to be a cheap holiday alternative :***
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Komodo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 am

This one is the one a freind of mine has and im looking to get. Bags are cheaper and you dont need to use teh special bags if you dont have access to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-FOOD-SAVER-VACUUM-HEAT-SEALER-WARRANTY-50-bags_W0QQitemZ320073108055QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20685QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 am

Hmm, I don't know about vaccum sealing :shock: , but a few easy alternatives to extensive cooking that I usually use are pasta and steak (not together :lol: ). Now I'm very fussy with tin foods, but there's two that I've tried and love. Leggo's have a pre-made spaghetti, with meat and sauce, you just add the pasta wich is quick and easy to cook. And in Chullora (i think) there's a primo factory outlet and they have these tinned 'gulash', which I have with rice. Same thing, meat and sauce, but different taste and style. So there's 2 nights. And then steak on the 3rd :mrgreen: . Of course you don't want to eat the same thing everytime but there's a few other pre-mixed things at woolies that might be worth a try. Leggo's also have those other pasta sauces that come in a glass container, but they got no meat in them.
Might help if the vaccum thing dosen't work out :?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Kramer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am

I used vacuum sealed bags when I went to cape york, the meat was only kept in the fridge (not frozen) and we were still eating it 30 days later, worth thier weight in gold. We also did prepacked meals like spaghetti meatballs and just cooked pasta.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby mummeee74 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Good ideas Ozzy, I remember having the leggos spaghetti from a tin when I was a kid, I loved it, but hubby won't go for it, spaghetti is kind of sacred in our house, can't complain, HE cooks a big batch then we freeze it, this is what I took this time and it was great. My hubby is kind of fussy on pre-prepared foods too, when I first met him he would not eat frozen veges (I am not joking) well it was either frozen veg some of the time or find a new girlfriend, guess he got used to the frozen veges as we have been married 10yrs :)

Kramer do you have a Sunbeam? There are cheaper ones on ebay, just don't know if they work well?
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Kramer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 pm

It was one of those you can buy at Target, it wasn't mine but a friends.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Return to General Chit-Chat