Camping near Canberra

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping near Canberra

Postby Connor U » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi,
My friends and I really want to go camping to celebrate finishing our first year of uni. YAY!
So what we want is a NSW State Forest, with a camping ground that you can only hike to, preferably near a river or creek. I don't want to stray too far away from Canberra.
Any suggestions of locations anyone could provide would be great.

Thanks a bunch!
Connor
Connor U

Re: Camping near Canberra

Postby Connor U » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Wow! this has been SO helpful!
Connor U

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:15 am

Connor U wrote:Wow! this has been SO helpful!

No need to be sarcastic Connor.....I am sure that if someone could have provided you with any info, they would have done so.

You might like to try Google.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Connor U » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:02 am

You're are right, I love how polite people seem to be on this forum, I shouldn't have gone against that :)
I've tried google, been researching for ages.
I've come up with Wee Jasper state forest, but I can't find whether it has a 'hike-in' camping spot :(
Connor U

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:06 am

Connor

You could consider some of the campsites along the Hume-Hovell walking trail. There aren't any walk-in's at WJ.

The HHWT starts at Yass and winds it's way along the route taken by Hume and Hovell when they opened the route to Melbourne. You could consider driving in to WJ then following the trail up toward Tumut. There are a couple of fairly basic campsites along that part of the trail.

In relation to posts on a forum like this - I come on and answer questions like yours when I have a chance. I get you posted the question a couple of weeks ago, and maybe the answer came too late, maybe what I have suggested won't suit or whatever. But I (and pretty much every one else) share our experiences on here for nicks, in our spare time. A little patience and someone will come up with the goods.

Cheers
Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Jo&Kev wrote: I get you posted the question a couple of weeks ago
Kev

You are very generous Kev.....try 6 days in between posts...

Connor
Have a look at this link which I just googled.... http://www.stateparks.nsw.gov.au

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Connor U » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks Kev
I'll look into it!
Sorry again for my rudeness.

Thanks a bunch.
Connor
Connor U

Postby patty7862 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 am

Try the site below, it has campsites listed around Canberra.

http://www.tams.act.gov.au/play/pcl/boo ... ts/camping

Cheers
patty7862
Camping King

Postby Connor U » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi everyone and thanks.

Kev, I've looked into the Hume Hovell trail and it looks great. THANKS! I've been researching it and it seems to go along the Goobarragandra River for a bit. Do you know if there is anyway we could meet the trail via road closer to the river rather than hiking 50 km from Wee Jasper? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks a bunch
Connor
Connor U

Postby Lin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Connor,

I have a list of camping spots between 1 and 4 hours drive from Civic, but I don't think any of them are hike-in. I lug way too many stuff with me to go to spots like that. ;)

I have always found this website hugely helpful for spots between here and the Bay: http://www.kingshwytodiscovery.com.au/o ... beyan.aspx

Please do come back to give us a report when you've been? There aren't many of us from this part of the world and it's always great to get first-hand reviews on camping spots nearby. (And no, I don't visit every day either, but will come back to read and respond eventually)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations