Free camping location from Surfers Paradise towards Sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Free camping location from Surfers Paradise towards Sydney

Postby Tien L » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Campers!
My name is Tien, I am new to this forum and to camping :hello:
This December - Christmas period I will be taking my family (2 Adults and 3 young kids 2-7yrs olds) to Surfers Paradise for 7 days, we have already booked for accommodation well in advance. On the 8th day we will be travelling towards Sydney, back home. We will be doing many stop overs along the way home like Byron Bay, Port Stephen, etc. We want to camp out for the rest of our hoilday - we have 7 days for this but i am finding it hard to find free or cheap camping grounds. i went on some of the caravan park website, their price for 6 people in tent, unpowered site is $340!! and thats with discount already!! thats very expensive for 1 night stay!! I was hoping to find free camping grounds or places that charge under $100 a night for power tent site for a family of 6.

Can anyone please help me and suggest good places, locations to stop over, route Surfer Paradise to Sydney. Or any good family activities to do or places to see along the way?

A list of free camp grounds or affordable camp sites will be appreciated as well!!! :grin:

I was just wondering can you rent tents from caravan parks or camping sites? We havent brought a tent yet or any camping equipment :cry: Still doing calculation to see whether we will have enough money left over to buy camping gear. Maybe we can just huddle up and sleep in our 4WD!! :***

Tien
Tien L

Re: Free camping location from Surfers Paradise towards Sydney

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:27 pm

We want to camp out for the rest of our hoilday - we have 7 days for this but i am finding it hard to find free or cheap camping grounds. i went on some of the caravan park website, their price for 6 people in tent, unpowered site is $340!! and thats with discount already!! thats very expensive for 1 night stay!! I was hoping to find free camping grounds or places that charge under $100 a night for power tent site for a family of 6.
************************************************************************************************************************
Hello Tein & Family.......Am I reading this correct ?????...$340- for a ''1'' nite stay !!!!!

All I can say to that is O M G .....
THATS DOWN-WRITE DAM SHOCKING.....
Sorry I Can't be much help to you as we haven't camped down that way,,,,other than sleep in over-nite truck stops on the way to Sydney.....
Sure hope you get some-one on this site from down that way to help.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Free camping location from Surfers Paradise towards Sydney

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Good luck Tien.....I am currently traveling down the coast and free campsites are almost non existant. Plenty of Rest Areas right beside the highway but that is about the limit of them.

If you were to travel up the New England Highway....then you would find quite a few but not on the Pacific Highway.....Highway 1.

I suggest you buy the Camps Australia Wide book as it does list the ones that are about....mainly national parks and they still attract a fee.

Traveling up the coast at xmas time will be even worse than it is now for low cost accommodation...let alone freebies.

I am not sure I'd be wanting to subject my young children to the uncertainity of freebies etc at that time of year.

Get online and PLAN your stops and BOOK them NOW....if you can still get sites/cabins....especially at the popular tourist destinations you seem to want to visit.

Yes you can rent cabins at caravan parks but I have not seen tents for hire anywhere on this trip. Prices over the holiday period always go through the roof...especially on the coast or as I call it....the tourist strip.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations