How to make side panels for a tarp. Advice needed.

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

How to make side panels for a tarp. Advice needed.

Postby bjg_thompson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm looking for some advice from someone that has already done this.

I have an 18 x 24 ft tarp that 7' poles all around, except for the support pole across the middle that has 9' poles.

I also have a 30 metre roll of shadecloth that I need to cut and make panels to use for shade and privacy, plus the rivets to put in the shade cloth after I've sewn edges.

Any suggestions how to cut it then tie it, taking into account the different heights??

Thanks in advance.

Jan
Bill, Jan and Georgia
bjg_thompson
Boy Scout

Re: How to make side panels for a tarp. Advice needed.

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:06 am

Jan....Your most welcome to ''''P M'''''' ....And arrange a chat with Avis (she is often out your way staying at her sisters......
Avis did ours that we use....Shes a ''Tailor'' by trade and very clever with her hands.....I know she cut the shadecloth in some way so that it wouldn't sag,,,or ,,,,scrunch.....As you can see from the pic...she made a perfect job......all I had to do was put in the grommets that pop over the pole.

The pic by the sea is before We did the down-side grommets to attach to the poles to tidy it up ( I love this pic as it shows how you can still see through the shadecloth....and still get protection from the wind,sun etc,,,and a certain amount of privacy

Cheeeeers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Rosco....I took the liberty of reducing one of your pics to make it more forum friendly, which it now is...

BTW....you mentioned 'grommets'....I think we call them 'eyelets'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby crocodile » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:15 am

I just tie them on with cable ties from the hardware shop. When packing up, just snip the ties off with a pair of sidecutters. They are only a few bucks for a packet of 100.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby sienna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:33 am

I bought heaps of cheap little plastic crocodile clips from bunnings to anchor my extra bits. They only cost about $1.50 each and are reusable.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

GypsyLady wrote:Rosco....I took the liberty of reducing one of your pics to make it more forum friendly, which it now is...

BTW....you mentioned 'grommets'....I think we call them 'eyelets'.

**********************************************************************************
Hmmm.....I Musta been having a ''Senior'' moment there :?# Gypsy.....lol
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby The Phantom » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

crocodile wrote:I just tie them on with cable ties from the hardware shop. When packing up, just snip the ties off with a pair of sidecutters. They are only a few bucks for a packet of 100.

I use cable ties also.
However please, please pick them up after cutting. I am sick & tired of arriving at a camping site to find bits of plastic cable ties everywhere.
The Phantom
The Phantom
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide