camp lighting advice?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: camp lighting advice?

Postby bonger » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:49 pm

the ones that i have bought can be linked and cut. on another forum a bloke has inserted them into some C channelling that you can get from bunnings as a way to direct light and strengthen the whole piece. looks the goods.
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:06 am

I agree with the sentiments here - I wouldn't be putting a 'hot' lamp in any tent but definitely not in a roof top tent. LED's are very save. I have a couple of UFO's and we plug them in to a jump starter thing, which we recharge in the car as we drive. the portable battery thingy makes it easy to put the lights in the tent or sometimes on clips on the side of the car.

We often use our gas light. Not in the tent - outside for some extra light.

Never thought about using a kero lamp...

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby David P » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Back when I was last camping (which is circa the stone age), LEDs didn't exist. So I used two gas lamps - one on a pole for general lighting and one screwed straight to the bottle that allowed the less adventurous to find the loo in the dark, and for inside the tent before bed, and then flashlights after that. They were pretty cheap and easy to operate, although changing the mantles was often required if they weren't packed carefully. The major downside though is heat - they kick out a fair amount which can make the tent hot at night, and they can burn a hole in anything (tent, fingers, sleeping bags, you name it) in a blink, so not so go around small kids.

I'll be looking to move to LEDs when I refurb my camping gear this year, and some of the suggestions here look great.
David P
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Gear Guide