Of tarps and tents

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Of tarps and tents

Postby David P » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Ok, first real question:

I have a big (6m*3m) Coleman tent which features a built in awning and has a fly with a couple of inches between it and the inner tent (side thought - I wonder if I need to get in touch with my inner tent in order to have a sucessful trip?) and a ventilation system (hole really) at the top of the inner tent to let heat escape.

So I'm wondering if flying a tarp over the lot would really make much difference to the heat inside? It would have to be a big one, and would likely take a fair number of poles and guys and such to keep it in place in a wind...
David P
Boy Scout

Re: Of tarps and tents

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Absolutely.....always tarp over...... It keeps the tent cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Have a look back through the old threads and you will see much written on the subject.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby David P » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:16 pm

GypsyLady wrote:Absolutely.....always tarp over...... It keeps the tent cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Have a look back through the old threads and you will see much written on the subject.

Ok, thanks for that. I'll do some research on how to make it work.
David P
Boy Scout

Postby sienna » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:37 am

Definitely tarp over. Even though the tents have a fly, it is more for keeping you dry than for ventilation.
Try get a square tarp or a tarp that obviously has one longer side than the other if you can cos then it doesn't matter which way it goes or it's easy to see which way it goes. I have an 18x20 tarp and I have to remember which way it goes every time I put it up. Getting the 20x20 would have been better but I didn't know at the time.
If you do get one this big or bigger, you will need heaps of poles, ropes with springs and decent size pegs. Also a ridge bar with it's support pole to hold up the middle. Getting it all will cost a bit but once you have it, you will be happy.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:20 pm

sienna wrote: I have an 18x20 tarp and I have to remember which way it goes every time I put it up.

Sienna.....mark it on the underside corner with 18x20 and a little arrow pointing in the appropriate direction.
Solves the problem.

It is also very difficult to get square tarps.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby David P » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Ok, supplementary question:

I'm basically trying to keep the sun off, right? So I should get a tarp big enough to cover the rear of the tent, up over the top and then out in front some?

But if I do that and make a sort of inverted "L" shape over the tent (if looked at side on) I can see some logistics problems in how to support the corner of the "L" where the tarp would come down to cover the back, quite aside to the dynamics of how to make that align to the sort of "A" frame effect I'd need to make sure water drained off?

Are there designs/drawings for how to do this somewhere?
David P
Boy Scout

Postby crocodile » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am

Always tarp over. The extra time it takes is mostly less than the time taken to remove all the Dagnabbit's and tree sap when you get home.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Postby crocodile » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 am

Smartalec editor replaced something similar to "bird droppings" with "dagnabbits"
crocodile
Camping King

Postby crocodile » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:11 am

Also, why did an apostrophe get put in "dagnabbit's". Not so smartalec.
crocodile
Camping King

Postby sienna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:31 am

David,
No need to cover the back of the tent in the L shape. get some shade cloth to make a 'wall' as it will be much lighter, more flexible, and will provide the shade you want around the back. Shade cloth will also allow better ventilation round the back thus keeping your tent cooler. You can buy the shade cloth straight from bunnings and make your own or fork out for premade shade cloth with holes etc already there.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide