Ticks

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Ticks

Postby boatie1010 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Went camping on the weekend and we all got covered in ticks. Yucky.
Does anyone know what is the best method in getting them off your skin as we had alot of trouble trying to pull them off with the head attached.
Some say turps some say metho and some say Burn them off. We took out new puppy with us and luckily he didn't get any on him.

What do you do or use ?
boatie1010
Camping King

Re: Ticks

Postby seajay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 pm

I have only ever used metho on the dogs before pulling them out always worked so have never tried any other way
seajay
Boy Scout

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:34 am

According to First aid,metho only makes them burrow deeper,as for being worried about the head being left apparently that is an old wives tale,a tick cannot survive with out its head so will die.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby boatie1010 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 am

We just found a tick now in our little dog. He is only 12 weeks old.Being our first dog and new at all this. Is there something you can spray around the yard to prevent them ?
boatie1010
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:43 am

Boatie.....Just as a precaution I would be inclined to either ask your friends who own a ''DAWG'' OR RING A VET...As they will know where else to look on your dog.....there may be still one on it....like between the toes etc......Better to be safe......even harder to find if your dog is a dark colour.
I was always told to turn the Tick ''ant-clock'' wise when removing them....

:cheers & good luck

Rosco
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 am

Buy a TICK TWISTER.....best thing ever for ticks on humans and your pooch. Simple and safe.

http://www.hotofftheshelf.com.au/ticktwister.shtml
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 am

I've been told to spray some flay spary onto a cotton tip then wipe it over the tick to kill it. Then pull it out with some tweezers.

Definitely go to the vet to get your pup checked as a tick will kill it given the chance. Also, they will tell you about various tick products that are on the market. Sprays, drop on liquid etcc Make sure you apply it as often as the pack tells you otherwise it won't be effective. Don't think there are any preparations that you apply to your yard. You just have to be diligent when you know you are going out and about and check your pup regularly.

What sort of puppy is your fellow?
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby patty7862 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 am

Advantix is one of the best products to use for ticks and fleas and was recommended by our vet as one of the best even though he doesn't sell. Our vet recommend to put it on our dog a few days before we go away and then every 2 weeks until we return and then after we return. Normally we use it once a month when at home. Never had a problem with ticks or fleas on our dog by following this method.
patty7862
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:38 am

The only problem with a 'spot on' is that the tick still has to bite the dog in order to be effective. The tick can survive on the dog for some 24+ hours before the 'spot on' works....irrespective of which one you use.

I do agree....Advantix is by far the best one to use, keeping the above in mind.

There is another product called Proban....which is tablet form and you give it to the dog every second day for a period of time before you leave home....during your camp/trip and then for a bit after you return home.

Again the tick still has to bite before it becomes effective.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I agree with GL: the Tick Twister is fabulous. I spray the tick first with some insect spray. Can't remember now what it's called. Will try to remember to have a look later. I always keep both in the car now! Used it successfully to remove ticks from the dog too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Gypsy......What an interesting site.
I was also very interested in the magnetic washing balls

http://www.hotofftheshelf.com.au/ticktwister.shtml

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby boatie1010 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice.We are now on the right track with everything we are doing to prevent these nasty little buggers. The vets also told us that the Emergency after hours Vets are getting at least 30 calls a night regarding Ticks. It certainly is the season for them.
cheers
boatie1010
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:47 am

Just remember boatie....NOT JUST PETS......My friend got one on her '''eye lid''' would you believe....much pain and discomfort for her !!!!!!!!! :( :( :(
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:20 pm

There is a homeopathic product that you put in their water bowl all the Pets For therapy girls swear by it,it doesn`t stop the tick getting on them but prevents any serious illness i will try and find the link. Also when camping I have a tick collar(from the vet not super market cheapo)they are very long so i get 2 dogs out of one collar, on as well as Advantix and spray a bit of Aerogard each day on them.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 am

Hey Poodle...I hope it works better than the ''STONES'' Avis got sucked into buying to put into their water....

I didn't believe it when she said she had paid so much... ::() ...for what looked like a couple of ''normal'' looking stones in a paper bag.......

Week groceries $30 for Bailie
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' $1-50 for my baked beans...........
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat