Rats.....

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Rats.....

Postby sienna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Ok I have a problem at home at the moment and that is rats. Apparently they are a problem in our area at the moment and they have decided to move in.
I found out last week that we had one (at least) when a banana on the bench was half eaten one night. Then the following night, it decided to chew through a cooler bag, pull out and chew threw a plastic bag to get at a weetbix that was left in there. What a mess!
So I put down some bait, Very carefully, given that I have two dogs and a child, and waited. One night I got woken up 3 times by the rat trying to chew through the cooler bag again even though there was no food in it.
Anyway, after a few days I finally thought I got rid of it/them as there was no longer fresh I like in the kitchen.

Now as I am quietly watching tv I can hear such a racket coming from under the stairs that I know that there are more rats or the babies are now mobile. That and the fact that hubby nearly caught one last night in the kitchen.

I am so spewing! :-bang I can't stand the thought of there being rats in my house.

So my question is: does anyone have any more ideas on how to get rid of them, apart from bait or calling in pest control or soemthing? My dogs won't chase them which is why I know I can bait and not be worried the dogs will try to eat them. But at least if the dogs did chase them, they might move out.

Aaaarrrgggh!
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Rats.....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:31 pm

EEwwwww poor you Sienna.....YUK!!

Get a really nasty cranky cat and stick it under the stairs for about an hour and the rats should be gone!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MDC » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Sounds like you need a carpet python - by far the best rat catchers you can find. :lol:
MDC
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:14 pm

We had them last year and found they were in the compost heap as well so got rid of the garden rubbish and use Ratsack as they go away looking for water and die,we found several dead and so far haven`t seen anymore.They do grosse you out,people think you must be dirty but it has nothing to do with that,they will live any where and every where.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:35 am

Hmmm.... a cranky cat and a carpet python..... :***
I did toy with the idea of borrowing my friend's dogs who love catching rats and mice but now I have poison out, it wouldn't be safe.

I replaced one of the poison boxes as it had been all eaten. Another of the boxes hadn't been touched which is odd given it in under the stairs where I could hear all the scratching and feet patter. I shifted it
a bit so we'll see if that works better.

Haven't checked the compost bin. Didn't even occur to check it. I just assumed they couldn't get in cos all the side panels are pegged into place. But I know rats are persistent buggers and can fit in very small places.

The only upside is that I haven't found any dead ones, just lack of I like in the kitchen etc. No scratching last night either. Guess I just have to perservere with bait and locking up our food etc.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Just let's hope they go far AWAY before they die sienna.......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:37 am

Sienna,,,,Poodle is correct when she says....They head off looking for water...The baits make them thirsty....then with the help of the water reaction they ''burn'' from the inside out....hense one of the reasons theres no smell when they die.....
When I used to do shopping centre Security....I used to hate walking around the back corridors behind the Chinese Take-aways....etc....The ''RAT-CATCHER'' Man reckons he averaged ''8'' dead rats a night......
They used to also scoot around the shopping centre floors at night....setting off the floor sensitive alarms

Keep persiverring with the baits as they do work......after that....buy a cat.

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 am

I remember we had one at the last house and after it had eaten the bait it did go looking for water. Unfortunately for us, it found in the dishwasher water hose which it chewed through. Luckily we had an understanding repair man who still fixed it under warranty for us. After that, mum and I covered the whole base of the dishwasher with chicken wire to keep the little blighters out. Have also done it to our washing machine, too. Should've done it here as well but didn't. The rats can get behind the dishwasher so I might just have to try to seal it off with some steel wool and wire etc.

It's been a bit quiet the last couple days so hopefully, fingers crossed, I've got them. Will still keep baiting though.

I have thought of getting a cat but I don't believe cats should be allowed outside and with two dogs who can go out whenever they want, it would prove difficult keeping the cat in.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:24 pm

sienna wrote:

I have thought of getting a cat but I don't believe cats should be allowed outside and with two dogs who can go out whenever they want, it would prove difficult keeping the cat in.

WOW...Try telling our cat that....She has her own mind....lol

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Rosco1 wrote:

WOW...Try telling our cat that....She has her own mind....lol

Just one more reason why I prefer dogs.....I like to be the 'boss'.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:19 pm

GypsyLady wrote:.....I like to be the 'boss'.....[/color]

ha ha ha....Now,,,,Why doesn't that statement surprise me Gypsy.....lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:00 am

Cats can have any mind they want but inside. There's been one prowling our area killing birds and goodness knows what else. I'd rather have the lizards and birds than an outdoor cat. My friend has a cat that has never seen outside and she's fine.

On the rat front, all seems quiet at the moment so fingers crossed. will still keep the bait out though.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Rosco1 wrote:
ha ha ha....Now,,,,Why doesn't that statement surprise me Gypsy.....lol

Now if I thought it was going to surprise you Rosco.....I would not have made it.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 am

We had rats in our area last yea, in the roof and the walls running around at all hours of the night, someone near us must of baited them as one night we came home to one outside the back door and it was obviously baited as it wasn't moving very well, i flicked it into a plastic bag tied it in a knot and binned it. Which is damn lucky because we have a border collie and if he got sick coz some idiot baited without letting the neighbours around them know there would of been hell to pay.

We have a little border collie now, shes only 8 months old and she would prob try and eat it, so make sure you let your neighbours know if your going to bait.

We had mice too, and they kept being able to get the food off the trap without making it snap closed. So we went to bunnings and got a trap with a door on it, they get inside looking for the food and the door snaps shut, the fella at Bunnings told me to shake the crap outta the trap to kill the mouse in it, i did that once and felt sick after it... lol
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby sienna » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:11 am

None of our neighbours have pets so I think we're ok. But thanks for the warning.
I haven't heard anything for a couple weeks now since I put out a 2nd lot of bait. But I'm always on the look out.
I'm just spewing that the buggers wrecked my cooler bag cos I can't find a replacement for it in the size and shape I want.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat