Christmas Camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Christmas Camping

Postby Malcur » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:48 am

I asked my wife where she would like to go if we went camping for the week between Christmas and New Year. Her response was "I want water but no crowds"!! Therefore I am looking for somewhere not too crowded, but near water. I don't mind whether bush camping or caravan park. I don't want to spend the week driving, so I guess I would prefer no more than a day's drive from Sydney. Anyone have any ideas?

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Re: Christmas Camping

Postby patty7862 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Mal

Shallow Crossing could be what you are looking for. It is a private camp ground about 4 hours from Sydney on the Clyde River. It doesn't get crowded out and has toilets and showers. Campfires are allowed as are dogs and the owner Jim pretty much leaves you to do your own thing. We have been there for the past 2 years with a group of about 23 - 30 people and none of us was camped on top of each other, we probably had minimum 5 metres between each of our setups. There are no set sites, you can take up as much or as little space as you like, most places you can set up and walk down the bank to the river but the best place to swim is at the crossing itself. He charges roughly $7 per night per person. His number is 4478 1183. Cheers
patty7862
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I think anywhere near water this Xmas/New Year will be pretty crowded.

Stay away from the coast as its always booked out and heaps of people.

You could always find a river or dam near Sydney. Try going west a bit and it might not be as crowded.

We think we may head out to Wyangala Dam (only 30mins from us) for a couple of days in early Jan. Could also try Abercrombie river campsites.

Also Burrinjuck & Burrendong dams are both at 100% and have camping areas.

It all depends on wether your wife prefers sand to dirt!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 pm

I think anywhere near water this Xmas/New Year will be pretty crowded.

I agree. It's the only time of the year when I try to ignore my aversion of crowded campsites.

If you're not taking a dog, National Parks may be the way to go. You'll have to get in early to get a spot, but lots of them cannot be booked and there's a limited number of sites available.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camping Tips and Locations