Clean up the camp sites

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Clean up the camp sites

Postby P.J T » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:34 pm

If you are parking your motorhome overnight anywhere for free. You might like to to take it on you to pick up some of the rubbish others have left behind. Just do it for the environment. It will make you feel good too. There are some litterers out there giving everybody else a bad reputation. Let the local authorities know that you have cleaned up the park, which will eventually be taken on board by park rangers and therefore improve the relationship. All authorities have now web sites with feed back facilities. I have come across some areas where security guards move you on because apparently it is government property. I say let us us motorhomers stay on government sites such us car parks, school grounds etc. We have paied taxe's all our lives , and after all it's not the goverments, it' belongs to the people. We could be part of the security. I believe it would deter anyone from breaking in to a building when a motorhome is parked in the car park.
The trouble we have is that some Caravan Parks are on public land and leased out. Therefore presure is put on to the local authorities to forbid motohomes on bublic land and properties
P.J T

Re: Clean up the camp sites

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 pm

This is something that can be done by all campers...not just MH owners.

It is a practice that I have encouraged for many years and will continue to do so.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 am

This is covered in the CMCA membership section under code of ethics....Always leave your camp cleaner than you found it.......
As for Govt. / local body dept. having ownership or control over these areas,,,,well,,,,they can take a jump as far as we are concerned......their 1st rule they shove on the fence is.....NO PETS ALLOWED...
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I always clean up and before i leave have a look around to make sure all is good,if a mess is left by some one before me i clean that up too so i don`t have to camp in a dump site..and doggies don`t eat anything nasty.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 pm

I think I'm lucky with the campsites I go to. They always seem to be clean. Occasionally I've found glass around the campfire and of course I clean that up.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 am

I think on this occasion the OP is referring to 'free' overnight stopovers, rest areas etc as opposed to the regular campgrounds etc that we all visit.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:59 pm

There is a beautiful spot that I camped last month, but some people thought doing the right thing would be putting all their rubbish at the enterance thinking the council will pick it up.. This place is rather remote and nope the council doesn't provide that service, I filled 3 large garbage bags full of rubbish, and took it to the tip which was only about 2km away.

If only some people use common sense they'd take out what they brought in.

I'm a big advocate for LEAVE IT AS YOU FOUND IT !!!!

Sometime I get the craps when I see kids picking shells off the beach or turning rocks over in the rock pools, sure I know that's just what kids do, but I'm sure they wouldn't like someone coming into their home and turning it over.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Carol W » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

We always seem to take away everyone elses rubbish but we will always do it so we can come back next time.
I hate the broken stubbies the worste.
Cans are lighter to can chill quicker and dont send camper to hospital for stitches.
AHH had my gripe for week that should do me for a while.
Sorry to the ones that do the wright thing. :+
Carol W

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 pm

I once camped next to a few people that were smashing their empty glass beer bottles in the bush's, One of the problems is if you say something to them it may result in a fight, which would probably end up with me in jail for manslaughter. It was very very hard to keep my mouth shut, but I tried to clean up as much as i could after they had left.
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:20 am

When the swines got drunk & fell over....you should have put the broken bottles around their tyres....''a little momento of their night'' :armsup :-bang

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 am

One I have been guilty of....
I can't understand what harm running ''grey'' water from your shower out onto lawns / gardens does especially when we were going through a 10yr draught.
I can understand water from your sink being a slight problem because of food waste and fat in the water.... :armsup but not the above.

Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Dodgy_Dave wrote:I once camped next to a few people that were smashing their empty glass beer bottles in the bush's, One of the problems is if you say something to them it may result in a fight, which would probably end up with me in jail for manslaughter. It was very very hard to keep my mouth shut, but I tried to clean up as much as i could after they had left.

I agree DD....I probably would have said nothing also BUT I would have taken their rego and any other identifying info I could get + a photo or 3.

I would have cleaned up the mess they left behind to the best of my ability and deposited both the rego number/s, photos and the broken glass etc at the local cop shop.

Then of course there is also the Internet for the pics. There should IMO be a website where people like this can be shown and shamed.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Rosco1 wrote:One I have been guilty of....
I can't understand what harm running ''grey'' water from your shower out onto lawns / gardens does especially when we were going through a 10yr draught.
I can understand water from your sink being a slight problem because of food waste and fat in the water.... :armsup but not the above.

I agree Rosco.....the only place it should not be done is on a hard surface.....like concrete, roadways, car parks etc.

Mind you.....not everyone is opposed to gray/grey water....mainly only the greenies. A lot of the places I travel, they normally welcome any water they can get.

There are still many, many CPs that do not have sullage disposal and you have to run all your gray/grey water onto the grass/dirt.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Val n Rob » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 pm

[

Sometime I get the craps when I see kids picking shells off the beach or turning rocks over in the rock pools, sure I know that's just what kids do, but I'm sure they wouldn't like someone coming into their home and turning it over.[/quote]

This comment reminds me of the lessons my Parents taught us as kids gathering shellfish at the beaches. I am a Maori and collecting seafood has its sacredness. If we turned any rocks and stones over looking for food, we were to put them back the way we found them. This is a traditional practice out of respect for the Sea God Tangaroa, and to make sure seafood would stay plentiful.

I know its a bit off the track to the subject of cleaning up but may be of interest.

cheers ::)
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Kia-ora ko~rua mor~ena Rod /Val......Nice to hear the voice of whenua from Aotearoa---
Not much Aroha here for kino tangata

Ka Kite Ano

:beer :beer :beer

Na~ku Rosco
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat