Need advice on tarp

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Need advice on tarp

Postby Reno F » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Noobie here

I would like some advice on placing a tarp over my camper trailer.

Because we live in S.E.QLD the land of the afternoon thundery shower I would like to set up with a tarp over the CT to keep it dry especially before packing up as I am limited in setting camper up at home to dry it out!

I plan to detach the awning and place a 18' x 20' tarp over the CT and with the overhang to use as awning.

My question is can I sit tarp on CT after poling and pegging off ? i.e. Can the tarp be in touch with the canvas or will I have condensation build up issues?

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reno F

Re: Need advice on tarp

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I personally would leave a gap not just for condensation but for airflow also Reno.

Gypsy,PJ & Rosco are the tarp experts here & QLDers so they would probably know more than I would as we dont tend to tarp over our CT.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 am

and maybe you don't want two surfaces touching because they'll rub and wear? I'm just guessing. Is it Friday yet? :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

GREAT idea Reno.....I always tarp over when static camping.....I don't put the awning up, just use the tarp over in place of it.

In answer to your question ....Yes you can sit the tarp on the CT....... BUT you will not be getting the best advantage of the tarping over if you do. An air gap between the two will give you the ultimate....cooler in summer....warmer in winter.

Set your tarp up independent of the CT....in fact you can set your tarp up first and then put the CT under it if you choose. I have certainly packed up many times in the wet using the tarp over for protection....made it the last thing I pull down and put away.

There is much written here on the forum on tarping over.....use the 'search' function at the top right and wile away the hours reading the info and pics supplied by forum members.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 am

We put a large Tarp up over our tent but the problem i find is that the tent is so long that it sags in the middle and rests on the tent itself. Maybe the tarp is just to bloody big though.

It did help keep the tent a little bit cooler, and most importantly it kept the dirt, bird crap and tree sap off it too, We have no choice though with our tent as it doesnt have a fly. But definitely have a gap between the 2.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby Ian S » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:48 pm

I've run my 21'x12' tarp over my CT no probs and have left it there for up to 2 weeks. I have never had an issue with condensation build up and found it much cooler, and of course dryer. Although, I have recently been placing a couple of poles at either end (or tieing to a tree) to lift it of the CT canvas and it has made a difference temperature wise letting air circulate under it, similar to a capricorn top. I have just tied off in the center down onto the trailer, or peg it. This, of course is only done when I plan on staying for a period of time. I haven't found any evidence of rubbing and wearing yet (fingers crossed). Basically I just set my camper up as usual and last thing drag the tarp over the top, starting from the back and working to the front. 1 person either side and lifting it over like a large sheet. I tie a length of rope to each corner of the tarp that is being dragged.
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby capella_ben » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 pm

I have trouble getting a trap over my CT. Perhaps I shopudl setup th tarp first. But I don't generally bother as I have a "tropical roof". That works fine for the tent, but the awning gets a bit hot.

Ben
capella_ben
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

capella_ben wrote:I have trouble getting a trap over my CT. Perhaps I shopudl setup th tarp first. But I don't generally bother as I have a "tropical roof". That works fine for the tent, but the awning gets a bit hot.

Ben

Tropical Roof is the same principal Ben as the 'tarp over'.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations