new tent

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

new tent

Postby gems » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:35 pm

hey everyone, I've been crazy busy doing a course to get into uni next year....fingers crossed....but now we have a few months free so guess what???
we're going camping!!!! :+ we're heading out to dubbo zoo sometime in jan can't wait the princesses are supa excited and I've been good so santa will bring me a new camera to play with... yay!!
anyways hoping you all can help me decide what tent to buy, we currently have a 3 room dome tent good size but with 5 of us already we have outgrown it. I've been looking at canvas tents with 3 rooms and an awning from kangaroo tent city (oztrail cabin 15x12) hoping someone can give me advice on these...such as how long they take to put up, how hard are they to put up compared to the dome tents.. I'll have my brother inlaw and niece with me some trips so I've got help but would like to go just with my girls most times.
gems
Camping King

Re: new tent

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Gems....a canvas tent will be considerably heavier than the dome tent you currently have. It will also most probably take longer to erect too.

Why don't you get a second tent, one for the girls....... Let them have their own accommodation.

For the longer term, you can run a tarp over both tents thereby giving yourselves more under cover area. Set the tents up opposite each other and run the tarp over and between the two tents.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby gems » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:06 pm

thanks Gyspy, funny I was just watching something on youtube about family camping and they said the same, I didn't think about the tarp, that will work to make the whole set up cooler, and give us more room too. im going back to the store this week to have another look.
gems
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Tarp over is an added bonus for keeping the tent cooler in summer as you say....It also keeps it warmer in winter, drier in the rain and cleaner when it comes to flying birds, bats etc.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah i've seen quite a few camps with multiple tents under one big tarp, seems to work well.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Return to General Chit-Chat