Dog runs

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Dog runs

Postby knoath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:45 am

G'Day all... wondering what people have for dog runs when out camping?
I will be camping over Christmas with the family, so that includes the puppies, and I know there will be at least one other there in our camp. I wantto keep the dogs safe and also other campers too.
I have used the screw in type lead holders, but one of those broke while screwing it into the ground!
I thought I could rig up some galvanised wire to a couple of steaks in the ground to allow the dogs a fair run down one side of the camp...? The campsites aren't designated, it's pretty much first in best dressed where we're going. I was hoping for a good 20-30 m!

Any pics and ideas of what others have would be helpfull!

Happy camping!
Dick
knoath
Captain Camping

Re: Dog runs

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 pm

That sounds like a good idea,and maybe hang a couple of plastic bags on each end so people will see the wire and not trip. i have the spikes that twist into the ground but with 3 small dogs i am forever untangling their leads.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GazOfOz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:28 pm

I have enough of a problem with one dog and one fixed point.
He will tangle it around anything, even a mat flat on the ground.
A dog run would be a disaster for me.

GazOfOz
GazOfOz
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 am

Don't know if you remember Poodle but we run a wire between two stakes for Bailie,,,The secret we found was to keep the wire well off the ground,,That saves her getting tangled.
My concern with this system is if another BIG GRUMPY Dawg came along and attacked her, she can't get away...This happened to us in NZ with our Golden Retriever,,,She was attacked by a Bull Terrior and couldn't get away to defend herself ...I still have the bite marks up my arm to show for it .
We have looked at the cage type but are worried if a Snake got in there...we would get the same result.
Cheers
Last edited by Rosco1 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am

We haven't taken our dogs camping yet, but our male dog would pull stakes out of the ground, he is very strong for a border collie and lately he has been having some issues with other dogs because he was attacked by a dog when he was little, he feels he has to get in first ( Apparently ). I'm abit iffy with taking dogs camping because i dont think i could relax with them around, i wouldn't let them sleep in the tent because i dont want dog hair and stuff everywhere and i wouldnt let them sleep outside either unless they were in a cage and i dont want to be a nuisance to other campers. Thats how i feel anyway.

Maybe if we were abit further into the bush i might.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 am

Woodsy wrote: i wouldn't let them sleep in the tent because i dont want dog hair and stuff everywhere

Oh Josh.....what's a little dog hair among friends and family:-))
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am

Yep...we live with the dog hair every day...have polished floor boards and man can you see it...fortunately a tent/camper is a smaller area to keep clean and they bring us so much pleasure out camping a small price to pay...however I agree with being stressed about the effect with other dogs around...I only pick bush camp places that don't have too many...I hate having my dog tied up all the time :(
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Lin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:52 am

My dog's great to camp. She is fine with other dogs. As long as they don't try to eat her food! She also doesn't wander off and always comes when called, etc.

BUT she hates being outside at night most of the time, so she lies in the tent - usually on our mattress! - when we're sitting by the campfire. Though in her old age she does occasionally join us and lies right next to our chair by the fire. I cannot think of a more comforting sight than that! In the morning she stretches out in the sun next to the hammock while I have my morning coffee.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Both my girls would be mortified if they had to sleep OUTSIDE......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Woodsy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:05 pm

They are great when they are well behaved lol we have a little border collie pup too, she is 9 months old and is so gentle compared to our male dog. But she is not desexed so we wont take her camping until she has a litter or 2 of puppies and then we will get her desexed.

IMGP1582_resize.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:17 pm

They are just GORGEOUS Josh....don't know how you can bear to leave them at home:-((
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm with you gypsy...real cute...I couldn't leave them behind..break my heart...and even though my puppies have their own beds...somehow I always seem to find them on mine at some stage during the night...gotta love em!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 am

That's it Josh....you have been over ruled....you have to take the canine kiddies with you when you camp.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 am

Two years ago I camped with some friends who had a male non-desexed border collie. And then our neighbours had someone visit with... a 6 month old bitch on heat. I can tell you, it wasn't fun for the dogs or for their owners. Both dogs had to be tied up and watched all the time and the poor collie was going insane.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:17 am

How crazy would it be to take a bitch anywhere when she was 'in season'......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping with Pets