Re Waterproofing Tents / Canvas.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re Waterproofing Tents / Canvas.

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am

Has any-one ever 'Re-Waterproofed' their tent...If so,,,What product do you recommend & how did you apply the product ???

I was in BCF last week checking this out.....No-One on the staff seemed to clued up on how to do it....VERY keen to sell me a NEW tent though....

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Re Waterproofing Tents / Canvas.

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:59 am

I did my canvas tent some years ago and used a product called Bush n Beach canvas sealer. I bought it from the local saddlery.

I had a blue and yellow tent and was able to buy the canvas waterproofing in colours which helped to restore the canvas colour as well.

I would be looking at a canvas place or a real camping store...not a place like BCF.

There is a camping place at Sumner Park....try him.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks Gypsy....Theres a really neat Camping store I enjoy going to out by Morayfield.....might shoot out there now.....its an Owner operated store.

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:10 pm

SO Rosco....have you been and how did you go with getting some product??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 am

Well here I am...Nearly 1am and its my nite off but because I'm used to being awake all nite...I can't sleep..Bummer....
Yes Gypsy. I went shopping in the storm for 'Water proofing' products..lol BUT decided to carry on to Morayfield to a camping store I really enjoy visiting...OUTBACK ADVENTURES'...What great people they are and carry a huge range of Camping & Fishing gear....Hard to beat owner operated stores and their prices are pretty competitive....but mostly, their staff have product knowledge.
The product I decided on is made by 'SUPA-PEG' and called DRY PROOF CANVAS PROOFING....(made in Australia as well :grin: )....It also is a treatment & Mildew Inhibitor....Seems like good stuff.....Not Cheap @ $78- but a superior product to the cheaper one I was offered @54- ($70ish @ BCF) per 5ltrs...covers 16--17 sq mtrs.

I also bought a new pole for our gas lantern as the one I have has a faulty control knob...PLUS...
I also had a look at the new 2.4 Yamaha generator.....Gunna talk to Santa Avis & see if I'm gunna get one for Xmas...lol
Jumped in the Patrol.....And drove back through the storm.....Got side tracked talking to some people about their Motor-home on the way....and got home around 6-30.......All-n-all...A nice afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 am

Yeah, it is not cheap....the stuff I used was about $70 and that was several years ago.

I reduced the size of your scanned pic....made it more forum friendly and made it easier to actually see.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Steve L » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I bought a second hand camper trailer tent & it was leaking really bad, after chatting to a guy about canvas he recommended a product called Brellaproof it is made for Australian canvas. I followed the instructions and after i had finished it rained heavily for about a week, the canvas was fantastic there wasn't a drop of water.

Steve
Steve L

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:08 pm

I finally got around to doing it yesterday while we had a fine day...let it dry for a few hours then tried it last nite with the hose in a corner when Avis got home....Worked like a charm.
Since then...it looks like we are joining the hundreds / thousands...who have decided not to head out looking for trouble this Xmas....and decided to put our camping off for a few weeks till it clears up....by the sounds of it....this torrid weather is supposed to go right till March.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat