Picking a route

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Picking a route

Postby Lin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am

Do you plan a different route when you drive during the holiday season?

There are 2 different routes I can take to the coast on the first Friday of the school holidays. According to Googlemaps it's a 70km difference and the longer route would take me 50 mins more. I got tempted for a moment because it would be so nice to have an extra hour to set up camp before dark.

But the shorter route is insane on busy days. Most of the road is one lane each way, with some overtaking lanes. There's a stretch of very steep mountain road full of hairpin bends and there's always so much speeding, tailgaiting and dangerous overtaking going on. Almost every time I drive over that road, I see evidence of a recent accident. Plus there's heaps of buses, and other slow vehicles making their ways to the coast on those days.

So I'm taking the longer, less popular road. Which is also easier to drive with a shorter and less hairy stretch of mountain road. I'll never know if it will take me longer and how much, but I do know that it will save me a lot of frustration!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Picking a route

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:25 am

Lin wrote:
So I'm taking the longer, less popular road, it will save me a lot of frustration!

It will probably end up being shorter time wise Lin due to all the traffic on the 'other' road.

I prefer to take a direct route....however I do not like the traffic when I am towing in particular....so the 'alternate' route would probably win me over. Good to see different countryside as well.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:38 am

I'll always take the more scenic route if there's not much of a time difference. But an hour is significant if your ETA is close to sunset.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am

Lin wrote:I'll always take the more scenic route if there's not much of a time difference. But an hour is significant if your ETA is close to sunset.

It is...I agree.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 am

When we go out to the rallies, there's two ways we can go, we always go the longer way because it's a nicer drive and less traffic, it makes for a calmer start to the weekend :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Jo has banned us from taking the same road twice when we go away. We don't often camp at the same place more than once. For the X-Mas break we are heading up to the folks place and we will take yet another route - haven't decided what it will be yet but anything is better than the Pacific Highway north from Sydney this time of year.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby Lin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:26 am

but anything is better than the Pacific Highway north from Sydney this time of year.

Or the Clyde...

Have a good trip!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch2 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:30 pm

OOPS got the heading wrong.
Route Titch Route.not a different holiday meet and greet.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Good to see you back with us Titch and in fine form I see......
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:23 pm

I think the old Buzzard sounds abit grumpy....and needs a Holiday......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat