Newbie with cooking questions - what am I doing wrong???

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Newbie with cooking questions - what am I doing wrong???

Postby Brad M » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi, my wife and I are complete camping newbies, but we love the idea of it, so we are setting ourselves up to become regular holiday campers. We're both really keen to get started and have been collecting gear for a few months now - tarp, tent, tables, good esky, chairs, quality lights etc but have a few questions about the cooking side of things. Based on things I'd read on this forum and others, I was going to buy a 3 burner gas stove or a 2 burner with grill, but my Father-in-law gave us a two burner as an early Christmas present, so that was kind of taken out of my hands. It's their old Jackeroo one from K-Mart. We bought a Spinifex teflon 2 pot and frypan set for simplicity and a little 4 slice A-frame type toaster rack thingy.

Today I decided to do a test run at a bacon and eggs camping brekky. What a freakin disaster. It was like the stove was posessed. I couldn't get the toast to brown evenly like in the pictures on the cover, it would just burn in the corners or keep falling off the frame and in next to no time the teflon had burnt off the frypan. So we had bacon, eggs and teflon toasted sandwiches for brekky - well the dog did, we couldn't handle the funny taste from the teflon.

So what are the tricks to cooking with a camp gas stove? I tried turning the gas right down on the frypan burner, but the flames virtually got so low that I thought it would go out. Is the Jackeroo one we've got too cheap and nasty to get decent temperature control? Is the Spinifex stuff we bought just cheap and nasty and that's why the teflon burnt off straight away?

With the toaster it didn't matter what I did the only thing that seemed to cook was the round base of the little toast holder.

Any advice on cooking tips/gear would be great.

Thanks
Brad M
Boy Scout

Re: Newbie with cooking questions - what am I doing wrong???

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 am

FIRST thing....throw that bloody toaster away or take it back and get a refund if possible. They are without a doubt the WORST camp toaster one could ever buy.

There is a thread on here quite a ways back.....it is dedicated to toasters and IMO it is still one of the best threads around....do a search and have a look at it.

Re the STOVE....it will be a high pressure stove and they are ok if you are experienced with them. I wonder why your FIL bought a new stove??? Can probably guess. High pressure stoves are cheap and most people start out that way and most people come to dislike them pretty quickly.

The BEST stove to get is a LOW PRESSURE stove.....yes more expensive but a far better and safer stove. A low pressure one runs through a regulator thereby giving you better control of the flame, hotter flame and less gas used. It also has the added safety of the regulator (same as on gas BBQ). Don't know if you can buy low pressure stoves from the likes of Kmart but you definitely will at a camping store.

Don't get me wrong.....Kmart has some good camping gear, just limited camp gear.

Re the teflon coated cooking pans......not sure if this is the problem or not BUT only ever use teflon friendly utensils with them, you know the black plastic looking ones or the new silicon utensils. AND my recommendation is always buy good quality teflon coated items. I have a Anolon frypan....yes expensive BUT very good....no peeling of the teflon. Never use scourers when washing up....in fact most times the good quality ones only ever need a good wipe out with some water and paper towel.

Hope this helps Brad.....and after all that...... WELCOME to the forum. It is a bit quiet at the moment.....think most are away camping.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:53 am

With fire/flame, i always use thick steel/cast iron frypans or camp ovens. They disperse the heat better and are much more durable for transport, you can chuck em around, scrape them with stuff etc etc.

Did you get one of those 4 sides stand up right toasters? I hate those things, never had ay luck with them either, the one i had look for ever and just dried the toast out really. I've had some success with the single toaster thingy, (mesh side down). But, i usually just make toast on the bbq grill area, bit rough, but works ok.

edit, bah.. GP got in first :lol:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:31 pm

:hello:...welcome..welcome...welcome!!! I agree with GL and Steve get rid of the toaster...we use the single mesh one of the ship and it's awesome...out camping tend to toast on the cast iron plate with a bit of butter on each side...or get a forked branch, stick into the crust and toast of the coals of your fire if you have one...this is my favourite!!

I have a frypan but use it over the coals for quick things...cast iron plate (downunder, BCF have them for approx $17) they fit straight onto your two or 3 burner...camp oven...stainless steel saucepan with foldable handles for easy storage. I have a regulator on my gas bottle so that helps!! must admit we cook over the fire as much as possible though! don't give up..ur are doing the right thing practising at home b4 you go...makes a horrible first trip if you can't cook yummy food...but just keep at it...lots of videos and info on google will help too!!

Keep it simple and most of all have fun!!
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Brad M » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

My wife and I have had a chat and decided to donate her Dad's old stove to charity and we're going to go with the original stove I'd done a bit of research on - the Oztrail two burner grill stove. It's a low pressure number, with the built in grill, which solves our toaster issue, Thanx for the toaster thread too Chicky babe - lots of good info. So unless someone has life threatening info on the Oztrail stove, that's the way we're gonna go. Should be some good specials on them around Christmas time.

As for the pots and pans side of things. We're gonna give our 18 month son old the Spinifex teflon set to use in his sand pit and go for some good heavy based cast-iron stuff. I've talked to my mates who are right into camping and read a few posts on this forum and others that say cast iron is the way to go. If anyone has some recomendations on good cast-iron stuff that would be great. From what I've read a heavey based deep sides fry pan and one good 5-6 litre pot should be all we need to get started.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers

Brad
Brad M
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Glad we have been able to help Brad and glad you found the Toaster Thread helpful.

If you want some really good gear, this is it....but I warn you it is expensive but it will also last and you'll be able to hand it down to your son.

http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/products.htm
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 am

I just get my cast iron pans and camp ovens from BCF. Nothing fancy and relatively cheap in price, and works.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby imanoone2u » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:48 pm

re: fry pans etc. I went to a catering supplier and bought some steel fry pans and sauce pans. They withstand almost any type of punishment. Imagine chefs tempers...

at least... it works for me.

marcel
imanoone2u
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide