One More Sleep To Go

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

One More Sleep To Go

Postby Ian S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:42 am

Well its almost here, the night that the big fat guy comes down the chimney, (that reminds me, better go an build one). It seems far more sedate than years ago, I can remember xmas eve was as busy, if not busier than the big day itself. Mums were in the kitchen (where they belong...lol) cooking up all manner of roasts, the pudding boiling on the stove with dad's extra sploosh of rum, and neighbours dropping in for the exchanging of tips, borrowing this or that. It was a real hive of activity back then.
But today I don't know anymore. I know for a lot of people the traditional roasts have flown out the window. We are just planning on prawns, red emperor or snapper whole over the barby grill, with a nice plump chicken cooked in the camp oven over the grill of the bbq as well. These will be cooked today and had cold tommorrow with salads (no more roast vegies). Of course there has to be the traditional rum drenched xmas pudding and sherry soaked trifle.
From the switch to seafoods or going out to restuarants, there has been a change in the way we do it, the BIG xmas lunch thing. How are you planning yours, do you still go in for our ancestors traditional lunches or have you steered away to create your own? Maybe you skip it all together, or go to someone elses place (that sounds like a great idea, when are my kids getting married?). I just thought it would be interesting to find out...

Cheers...Ian
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Re: One More Sleep To Go

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:21 am

Ian S wrote: I can remember xmas eve was as busy, if not busier than the big day itself. Mums were in the kitchen (where they belong...lol) cooking up all manner of roasts, the pudding boiling on the stove

Cheers...Ian

Boy....which century are you from Ian?????
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 am

ME....well I am the biggest hum bug here....don't think I am exaggerating in any way and to me Xmas day is just like any other day of the week.

I will be hold up in a nondescript CP waiting for the 3 days of xmas festivities to pass before we all take off on our little road trip. This will be the first year in many years I have even had the company of my daughter....normally I am off camping with friends and she is at home with her in laws doing the xmas thing.

All I ever ask is for a Safe Journey with only pleasant memories.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:56 am

Well being on my own i get many offers and i just pick the best one..lol Our family have so many out laws and second marriages we tell the nieces and nephews to go to who ever xmas day to shut them up whinging then we all meet Boxing Day.Everyone works especially me at the nursing home no time to cook,I do say one day i will ask for christmas off and do a big do like mum used to.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ian S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey GL I'm only 47, this is just what it was like where I grew up, Wollongong area and then Wingham Mid Nth Cst.
No worries about being a humbug, I used to be but with 3 litlies and a wife who I'm sure thinks she's Mrs Clause it's a bit hard to escape around here...lol

It's good to have a variety PJ, they say variety is the spice of life. I have a 22 y/o son and he likes coming up here so we're a small close knit li'l family. We've got some freinds that have moved over from India and they are joining us, but we have only been here in Burnett Heads for 12 mths so we don't get or do the drop ins like we used to a few years ago. I'm not particularily close to my immediate family, just say we're not on their xmas card list...lol.

Hope you all ahve a good one however you choose to spend it, I think my beer is cold, mmmmm bbbeeeerrrr...
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby Titch2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Bad boy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ian S » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Brings a new meaning to getting coal in your stocking Titch...
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:19 pm

The Old Dragon-Lady Says-----
Boy....which century are you from Ian?????,,,,,,,,,

Ha Ha...Hey Titch...Think WE are gunna like this guy....lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Ian S wrote:with 3 litlies and a wife who I'm sure thinks she's Mrs Clause it's a bit hard to escape around here...lol

Xmas is definitely for the littlies Ian, I agree.

In the CP here we all woke this morning to find a small gift from Santa....

Lovely gesture by the CP owners...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Rosco1 wrote:
Ha Ha...Hey Titch...Think WE are gunna like this guy....lol

He is fitting in very well....there is not doubt about that.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ian S » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:08 pm

That sounds likea very nice gesture GL. Are sure it was from the owner and not from Santa. We've had a good day, but it was good that the 3 li'l ones slept in yiiipppeee. I got a new 20lt water jerry can and a socket clip and a variety of 3 crab pots.
It's good to know that I'm fitting in but you guys need to keep that kinds thing quiet, you don't wanna give me a big head. I find it enjoyable myself here.I have been on a couple of different forums and have found them quite opinionated at times. This is more like sitting around a camp fire (via the internet) and having a friendly chat with another camper. aaaawwww suck, suck...grovel, grovel... :beer cheers to all and hope you all ahve had a great day.
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Ian S wrote:I have been on a couple of different forums and have found them quite opinionated at times. This is more like sitting around a camp fire (via the internet) and having a friendly chat with another camper.

Yes Ian we do have a GREAT group here, everyone gets on well and we all have a great respect for each other.

I have seen some of the nastiness on some of the other forums and I must say it is a pleasure chatting here. Some of us bag each other out, but it is all in good fun and we know that. On the other side we also offer some very good advice when needed.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Ian,
You'll have to join us for a camp off next year when we organise one. There was me, Rosco, and I convinced PJ to come along at last minute. It rained almost the whole time but we still had fun. We look for places that are dog friendly cos Rosco and PJ have fur kids. We hope to get up the sunny coast way, maybe at one of the pet friendly dams or something.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ian S » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:33 pm

GypsyLady wrote: Yes Ian we do have a GREAT group here, everyone gets on well and we all have a great respect for each other.

I have seen some of the nastiness on some of the other forums and I must say it is a pleasure chatting here. Some of us bag each other out, but it is all in good fun and we know that. On the other side we also offer some very good advice when needed.

Yes I have noticed that and it is good fun. Not that I am like that, one to have a dig at others that is :***

And no worries about the camp catch up sienna, I love to. Let us know when and where and we'll do our best to be there. We have li'l animals as well, the 2 legged variety... :mrgreen:
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby sienna » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:18 am

I have a two legged one, too, and one on the way. My 4 legged kids don't camp.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat