Where do I start

Community groups, clubs etc. tell us about yourselves, who can join, activities, post notices and events.

Moderator: amanda

Where do I start

Postby julz » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:23 pm

Hello. I am a woman of mature years planning to take to the road for at least a year. What do I need to do first? Obviously, buy a vehicle. Any clues, any advice? What should I be looking for in a vehicle? I have plenty of time to get organised. Not planning heavy off roading, more comfortable cruising. My budget for vehicle is about $20,000. I am not a big muscly person, but practical & fairly self sufficient. Don't like the idea of over the cabin set ups due to high centre of gravity. Suggestions please!
Julie Z
julz

Getting started

Postby offroader » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:30 am

hi julz

So many options to consider :? for your price range a good second hand Toyota may be just out of reach, however Nissan's are a very good 4x4 as are Pajero's. I wouldn't worry too much about fitting a snorkel. CB radios are great if travelling with another vehicle.

As for a tent, if you want to go that way, a canvas tent is a must for prolonged use and you MUST be able to stand up in it, a trip into any camping store will give you some great ideas. :idea:

You will also need a stove, 3 way fridge - one that is powered either by electricity, gas or plugs into car cig lighter socket - (much better than an esky), a bush shower and a tarp for cooking under. When you erect the tarp ensure that all guy ropes are spring loaded, that is at the base where they connect to the pegs, have a spring between the rope and the peg.

I'm not sure how adventurous you want to get, so I will leave you to consider these for now. :?
Good luck
Nick
offroader
Boy Scout

Postby Ingenious » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi Julie Z,
If your not intending on 4x4ing then a second hand diesel Toyota Hiace van that has been converted into a pop top camper van seems to be the prefered choice of single female tourers to whom I know, due to ease of driving & quick set up, easy to park in shopping centres for stocking up on supplies & quick to take off in during the middle of the night if required.
The one thing I do know is once you set off you wont be on your own for long as you'll meet up with like minded travelers going to the same places as you.
Cheers Terry.
Ingenious
Camping King

Return to Groups & Activities