Tarp saver and pegs

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tarp saver and pegs

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Has anyone used these? http://www.supapeg.com.au/product_info. ... cts_id=129

They seem like a good idea, especially with the spring. But if it were to fall over in heavy wind, I'd worry about it doing damage.

And on a similar topic, anyone used either of these type of pegs for the tarp? http://www.supapeg.com.au/product_info. ... ucts_id=65 or http://www.supapeg.com.au/product_info. ... cts_id=163. I need pegs that won't get ripped out or bent in heavy wind...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Tarp saver

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:35 pm

I used to use a similar one (mushroom shape with a spring) but found it to be a nuisance as the tarp often blew up with the wind and the spring gave it more bounce.

What application are you thinking of using it with Lin??

Re Pegs........Those particular type of pegs are very good. I had some made on the same principal out of angle when I was tenting....very good indeed.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Tarp saver and pegs

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Just to prevent pooling of water. Though our A-frame tarp did ok in the rain. There was some pooling of water, but it never put too much weight on the tarp.

What do you mean by "gave it more bounce"?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:40 pm

And which pegs did you refer to? The angle iron or ground anchor ones?
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Lin wrote:What do you mean by "gave it more bounce"?

They are placed on top of the pole under the tarp and often in conjunction with a spreader bar and work by the same principal as the springs on the ropes....the more wind, the more up and down movement with the tarp....hence bounce.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Lin wrote:And which pegs did you refer to? The angle iron or ground anchor ones?

Sorry Lin....the Angle iron ones. I can't comment on the others as I have never seen them in use or used them myself. To me they would be too short for any substance at 190mm. The trick is to hammer the pegs in at an angle as well.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:25 pm

I've seen the angle iron pegs in use but haven't used them personallly. I've often seen them being used by the more mature generation. I've been told that you can sometimes find them being sold at the local markets for not very much.

As for the tarp saver thing, I've een them too but I use a spreader bar to create a ridge so have never needed one. I'd be worried about it falling over if the tarp got away. But then if the tarp got away you'd be having much bigger issues! ::()
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide