stevos flooded holiday! - pics

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

stevos flooded holiday! - pics

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:41 pm

hey hey hey! I'm back!... here's my dodgy trip report.
***(having a couple of Burbons so some things may not be true or as big as stated)

After years of planning*** , I started out for Boynedale Bush Camp / Awoonga Dam. After leaving Brisbane and getting to Ban Ban Springs i heard that the roads were closed and they weren't letting anyone in to that area, bugger!, so i changed plans and wen up to Wuruma Dam, it was on my list so i though i'd start there instead. I made it there and the road in was flooded, 0.4 metres, which wasn't too bad, except after i was in it poured down and from all reports i was not going to make it out for wo weeks! .. i thought yeah that's ok, i have supplies, but it kept raining, and raining, so i couldn't go fishing, and it was pretty miserable. The water level rose a few metres while i was there and was all dirty flood water.

some pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: xmas 2010 qld flood holiday

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:49 pm

i have a few photos to add, so please be patient, i know how this site goes off with allthe traffic.. i know it's not in the right section also, so it might get moved, once i figure out where it'ssupposed to go!

ok back to the story...ok ok breath!! give me a break!!

It kept raining, and friggen raining, so the water level over the road got up to 2metres, and i kept checking it, it got down to 1metre, and it was way too fast to cross, so it looked i was stuck. which was ok, i was fully prepared for that. But because i couoldn't fish, or use the boat i was keen to leave, and one other thing, there was only one other camper there, and he was a TALKER!!! OMFG!!! aTALKER!! I couldn';t handle it any more, i had to get out. There was a break in the rain for about 8 hours, i had my camp packed up and was ready to go, at 2am i heard rain drops, it was starting to rain again!! I quickly got up and raced to creek crossing, it was about 0.4metres over the road, i had the high beam on, i walked across and back, and then i was off... .. ok i better post another pic before continuing...

here's the road out, at 0.8metres
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

I drove back through Mundubbera and Gayndah, which where later flooded. I pulled over at Gayndah and slept at the park, wasn't much traffic!

This is a pic of the creek at Gayndah, this later rose and flooded the town.
Also a pic of the flooded road at Ban Ban Springs, it later rose and cut the highway...
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:01 pm

phew it's getting scary!

I made it back to my friends farm just in time, there was more rain, it just kept coming, Lots of stuff happened here which i didn't get photos of, for example, we were drunk and wading through flooded paddocks retrieving tractors etc etc,

In the next few days the highway was cut off near the Murgon turn off, .. we went down there in the truck for a look , then realised the truck was too long to turn around on the narrow road, so we had to go through the flooded road and turn around further up and come back!.. that was entertaining!
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Then it became a little less stressfull as the rain eased, sun came out and we went all happy happy joy joy and water skiing!

This was a good day, i got to drive the ski boat and tow a few people around, .. i had a about 158 goes at trying to ski and i'm sill in pain. Lake Barambah is quite a nice place. It was at about 135% when we were there. The picnic tables were half under, they were letting water out and it was going down.

a great day..
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 pm

place this post before the last one....

The neighbours at the farm can't get to work when the creek is flooded, so they have a boat so the can get across the creek, i went and picked them up ....

A classic photo i reckon when you know the story...
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm

There was a storm last night... here's a couple pics...
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Here's a fella i came across on the way in to Mundubbera. When i came up behind him i slowed right down and wasn't sure what it was... after going past i had to pull over and get a photo, .. he yelled out "you better be quick" ...
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:21 pm

Lots of classic moments happened which i didn't get photos for, but you get that eh?

Here's my rig outside the Kilkivan Pub on the way home...
stevo.

Postby Ian S » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Some great pic there Stevo, just love those ones of the lightening and storm, wonderful...
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Great pics! And a great report of an *interesting* holiday. :+
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 pm

NOICE one :+ :+ :+
Love adventures.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: xmas 2010 qld flood holiday - photos

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm

FANTASTIC pics and great reporting too Steve.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: stevos flooded holiday! - pics

Postby sienna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Sounds like you had an awesome time.
Photos are great! I love the storm ones.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: stevos flooded holiday! - pics

Postby dicko77 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:57 am

Top report mate loved reading it
Cheers Dicko :beer
dicko77
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat