Camping stoves

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Camping stoves

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Can't compare a diffuser with a low pressure gas stove Titch....they are poles apart.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:02 am

Woohoo! The "big and cheap" camping store is having their stocktake sale this weekend and are offering 26% off all Coleman. Which means I can get the stove cheaper than I could buy it for online! I love it when a plan comes together. :armsup
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Lin wrote:Woohoo! The "big and cheap" camping store is having their stocktake sale this weekend and are offering 26% off all Coleman. Which means I can get the stove cheaper than I could buy it for online! I love it when a plan comes together. :armsup

Make sure they have one in stock Lin....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 am

They did but I bailed out. Suddenly it seemed so big! I have a tiny car and I started wondering if I really needed to upgrade after all. Then I made the mistake of wandering around in DFO to "think about it" with the intention of going back later and ended up fleeing (without the stove) because I hate places like that!

I have some time to think about it till next summer. In the meantime I'll only be going away for weekends, so my small stoves will be sufficient.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 am

Like you say Lin.....there will always be a next time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 pm

We have a HP stove, but mainly use the little one like yours - depending on what we are eating.

I hate spending any length of time in DFO - the place across the road annoys me fairly regularly too. I prefer the little shop out here in Yass! Nice and helpful folk and I'm happy to pay a few extra bucks to keep my cash in town!
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby itchyvet » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Woo Hoo, sorry folks, but gas camping stoves are a ball game unto themselves.
Yes, there are high pressure, low pressure, self contained gas containers, butane mixes, petrol, white spirit the list goes on and on.
And what's more, despite the advertising, you DO NOT GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.
I suscribe to Camping With Your 4WD magazine and Camper Trailer Touring mags, both excellent magazines.
In one of last years mags they ran a comparision of gas stoves, from memory I think they checked out something like 12 stoves all up, and the findings had to be seen to be believed, turns out all stoves are not the same, high or low pressure.
Even with the rated BTU's written on their boxes, didn't mean that was what they put out, you could buy a half dozen stoves and not one of them would be what you wanted, that's how diverse they are.
Turned out, out of 12 stoves, there were only three that were really any good, I wonder what happens, if you spend your hard earned on one that turns out to be junk ?
We have such a stove on our CT, takes bloody ages to boil the billy and don't ask it to fry the bacon or an egg, practicaly impossible, that's with the windshield up too.
So now we carry a PRIMUS two in one, two halves fold together for transport then open up for use, it uses a cartridge mix of lpg and butane, this works well, provided the home built windshield is utilised.
IMHO, I reckon you should be allowed to see these things burn BEFORE you buy.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 am

I resurrected this post because I took my Coleman stove on our last camping trip and I'm still hesitating about what to replace it with.

The good thing about the stove is that it can boil a pot of water really fast.

The bad things are that it uses a lot of gas (I took the propane bottles and had to get some more from the local camping store where they were really expensive) and that you cannot turn it down low, so I ended up burning the rice.

I realised that the reason why it won't work on a low flame is nothing to do with the pressure but all with the knobs. You turn them to low and when you let go, they spring back. And it looks like the 3-burner Eventemp stove has similar knobs, so will be just as useless.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Buy a LOW pressure gas one Lin.....you won't go wrong.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:08 am

It will still not fit my needs if the knobs to control the flame don't work...
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 am

Lin...If its a 'faulty' knob problem....take it into a camp store and get it repaired....could be dangerous
(...besides,,,I'd hate you to burn the rice again...lol)....but serious....it could be a fault.

I have alot more respect for gas appliances after the fittings on my outdoor gas bbq leaked gas and caught fire a few years back.

:beer :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Nah, it's not faulty, it's just bad design. I read some reviews for the stove and other people having this problem too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Brad M » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Lin
I am a complete newbie to the camping scene and this forum, but we just recently bought a Campmaster two burner stove with grill and we love it. I was struggling using my Father-in-law's old two burner stove and saw this one on special at Big W just after Christmas. I absolutely love it!

We haven't taken it camping yet, but I've used it to cook practice meals at home a dozen or so times now and it's great. The grill underneath is excellent (and fast) for making toast and the two burners are really easy to control. My wife loves doing grilled tomato and cheese on toast using the grill. It's not low pressure like the Oz-Trail one we were also looking at, but it was a lot cheaper at $109.

As far as re-heating frozen meals go. So far we have re-heated my wife's frozen spag-bol, curried snags and beef stroganoff without any hassles. One thing I will say that made a big difference was something I got off this forum and that's get a good thick pan/pot. We actually got a good quality saute pan with nice high sides and we use it as a pot and a frypan. Made it so much easier for regulating the heat when I was defrosting the frozen meals.

All the best.

Brad
Brad M
Boy Scout

Previous

Return to Gear Guide