Qld Floods 2011

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Qld Floods 2011

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

How's everyone going?

I work at Hemmant, low laying beside the Brisbane river., we have just packed everything up and have left. Home now.

It sounds like it's going to be a disaster.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Re: Qld Floods 2011

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

stevo. wrote:How's everyone going?

I work at Hemmant, low laying beside the Brisbane river., we have just packed everything up and have left. Home now.

It sounds like it's going to be a disaster.

My thoughts are with you folk in QLD, hope you can manage to get yourselves/family to safe high ground! the news programs are showing nothing but doom & gloom, all very depressing...

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:48 pm

I am home, safe, high and dry...thankfully.

Let's hope all our Qld members are also safe.

Reports are that the rain is going to ease to light showers over the next 24 hours. Fingers & paws crossed.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I went out this morning to get sandbags and was in a que for 30 minutes and they would only give out 25 small bags, which didn't do much for us at work, i could only make a one bag high wall around one machine.

But looking at the warnings, i think we'll be getting a few metres of water through our building. We packed up and got out and probably wont return for a week. They are saying the floods will hit our area Wed/Thur/Friday, so there's nothing we can do about it. Our printing machines can't be moved so it looks like it'll all be lost if it floods. we're not the only ones though. There's just nothing that can be done by anyone.
stevo.

Postby Titch2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:14 pm

I do hope everyone one has flood and storm Insurance.
Material stuff can be replaced.
Hope everyone is alright.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

I read that properties that close to the river can't get flood insurance. Bloody insurance companies!
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Rosco1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 am

I was just about to add that Lin.....You are quite correct,,,BUT,,,,if you ring around there are companies that still cover floods,,,,REAL INSURANCE had the best product at the fairest price,,,,for what we wanted.
I ALSO made sure when I got Avis's new car insured that it covered 'for ''''HAIL'''''.....Another thing a number of insurance companies won't pay out on.....Deeming it to be ''An Act Of God''

When I got my 're-newal' premium for My Patrol through the Suncorp insurance the price had gone up over 10% to $740-yr,,,so I decided to ring around to see what the other companies were quoting......Quite amazing the difference they are all quoting (I WAS MAKING SURE THAT EACH COMPANY WAS ENCLUDING COVERAGE FOR THE SAME THING)......Also keeping in mind that I was getting the 60% discount for being an old fella,,,,and having had no claims......The best price I was quoted for the same coverage was $420-yr
so...
I rang Suncorp and gave them the same opportunity to match that price...and bugger me....they did !!!!!

Just goes to show what they CAN do if they want to.......Was a good lesson for me.....also made me think how much they rip people off who don't ring up and question the premiums they are paying.

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 am

Who gave you the $420 price Rosco??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 am

Rosco,
I'm surprised suncorp matched your price. They wouldn't do that for me a few years back. Guess it's more competitive these days.
I'm going to read my policy today to make sure of what I'm covered for.

Stevo,
Sorry to hear your workplace will go under. At least you will all be safe.

My hubby's work is at milton and while the building is on a hill, coro drive is flooded as is milton rd. He told me that the river had broken it's banks yday morning at low tide. That was well before anyone realised there was going to be such a disaster.

Mum is in Toowoomba with my aunt and uncle. They were unaware of the drama til I rang them and they watched the news. I grew up there and I really have no idea how it happened.

Everyone stay safe.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

sienna wrote: I grew up there and I really have no idea how it happened.

sienna....I doubt anyone knows how it happened so don't beat yourself up trying to find an answer. Please try and stay stress free for bub's sake.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Being 1000km + away we can do little but watch, hope and pray for you guys up north.

Spent a whole lot of my childhood near Grafton - we used to get flooded but nothing like what's happening up there at the moment.

Good luck and stay safe folks.

Kev
Cheers
Kev

Proudly running actnswcamping.blogspot.com - a blog about camping in the ACT and NSW region.
Jo&Kev
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 pm

The more you watch it all on TV, the more unbelievable it seems....

I sit in my flood free home complete with power, TV etc and see all this devastation and it seems like it is on another planet. Not sure there are words that can adequately describe what is happening.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Gypsy...I'm the same...it's almost like I am watching a disaster that has happened overseas (as we all have done many times) not here in my home town...I remember a little of the 1974 floods being in my mums car and we couldn't get through to get home...the sea of water that faced us in a valley crossing the road was mind boggling even to a child. difference here is that as an adult I recognise the streets of Toowoomba and to see the devestation of Withcott and Grantham where we stopped many times to stock up on fruit and vegies b4 heading up the range to head home to Yuleba is heartbreaking. sometimes unless you actually see it with your own eyes it does feel like it's on another planet. Maybe that's why as an adult I have always lived on high ground!!

I spent the day cleaning out our clothes etc and going through the garage gathering things that I no longer use and thought would be helpful to those that have lost so much...not game to head out onto the roads yet to deliver...am sure there will still be plenty of need for these things in the weeks and months ahead. got heaps more stuff to sort through so that will keep me busy and I will feel like I'm at least doing something to help until the flood waters recede.

i hear where we were camping at Bestbrook the creek was expected to rise much higherthis time, as it was it only had another metre to go to break the banks and start to cover the large area under the cabin we were hiding in for the day and i thought it would never do that ...well after what I have seen since Murphy's creek got washed away so quickly I'm thinking we were damn lucky...that would have been our campsite gone...camper trailers and all I'm afraid.
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 am

We turned the news off at the nursing home tonight especially for the dementia and bed ridden ones, we could see them all getting worried and starting to act up.Too much for them to take in.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:01 am

I'm down at work now, we were in the flood map but there's no sign of any water, hopefully it wont rise tomorrow. I went and had a look at the river down the road and the water is flying, i saw the RiverWalk fly past.
stevo.

Next

Return to General Chit-Chat