us 2 from over there

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

us 2 from over there

Postby mike h » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 am

Hello to y'all.
Couple of Brits now yankeefied here starting to make plans for a great down under tour of 2012. We have tented around Europe when younger...camp beds seem comfy then and 12 years ago came to the USA when Mike retired from the RN. Managed to wangle a yrs visa and bought a humongous 34 ft motorhome and towed car.............ahhhhhhhhhhh life was good. Drove around every state bar 6 and saw a lot. Petrol was cheap and the yanks have RVing down pat. Everything here is cheap. cars/gas/rv's.

Its now 12 years on and we have the heeby jeebies to travel again and as the wife has relatives in SA, thought we'd pop over and tour. We see that we could waffle our way to a years visa...hopefully...so we are starting to plan. Thats the navy in Mike for you.

We see that everything is more $$$ down under. Plans are to get to OZ for the Xmas/NYE's fun in Sydney. BUT b4 that want to buy a nice caravan and tow vehicle. We see plenty of weird looking caravans with pop ups everywhere BUT whats best to tow it? Dont see a lot of info on that.

So any help would be fantastic.

Our sort of intinery. Dec thru mid Jan OZ.....Zip over to NZ til March, then eastern OZ till sept then Tasmania b4 thats it!

Will copy this post and put it in a techy forum here too.

Thnks

Mike n Ali
mike h

Re: us 2 from over there

Postby mike h » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 am

we put this in a tech column and it was deleted. gosh thanks!
mike h

Postby Bradd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 pm

While I'm sure you will get some answers/ opinions here
this is more a camping than caravaning forum

You could ask the same question over at
http://caravanersforum.com/

Many more caravanners / motorhomers there
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm

mike h wrote:we put this in a tech column and it was deleted. gosh thanks!

Hi mike h, as moderator, I deleted your repeat post as I felt it would get better coverage here. Not everyone reads the tech threads.

Apologies if you were offended.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mike h » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 am

mmmmmmmmmm camping to us is a general subject which encompasses every aspect of outdoors fun. Camping , caravanning, RVing etc. Sorry.
mike h

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 pm

GP, did you follow your own guidelines and inform the user and explain why? etc etc etc :***

Welcome to the site Mike!

What's the tech question? What vehicle to buy to be able to tow a caravan? That's a can of worms, how big is the van? What's your budget? You could buy a Ford F250 big arse American pickup truck, that will do it easily, but yu may need a fuel tanker to follow you around ! But usually most poeple will gte a 6cylinder 4wd wagon, Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajero etc etc.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby mike h » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:05 am

Cheers stevo. As we are now in the US, we know all about buff trucks, but as "gas" here is now $3 a us gallon, it aint a prob.

I will go to the caravanning site and post a few mindless ???? there.

But caravans in OZ seem expensive. Our budget will probably be 30k for a caravan and tow vehicle. I like to llook of a travel trailer, BUT as I am an old fart of 55, a nice comfy bed looks far more appealing.

Cheers mate

Mike
mike h

Postby Lin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 am

A camper trailer does have a real bed, Mike!

The biggest difference is that it takes some setting up when you arrive. There are plenty here who could give you an idea of how much work is involved in that.

I don't have one, but I suppose the advantage of a camper trailer over a caravan is that it is much smaller to tow so easier to drive on our often winding highways and on dirt roads.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: