Camper Trailer repairs.

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Camper Trailer repairs.

Postby jollyroger » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:04 pm

It happened while we were away. One of the welded poles inside the main tent area snapped - at the weld! 45 degree angle weld too. Now problem #1. It's inside the tent. It's pivitol pole for the tent.
#2 the tent and pole is stitched. The canvas is 15g and tough as nails.

Has anyone had this problem and what is the cheapest and quickest way to fix this?

One offer so far has been to take off the tent from the trailer, undo stitching, remove pole and re-weld it. I saw dollar signs everywhere and my life flash before me.
How can I make this cheaper and easier?
:--? :( :shock:
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 pm

JR,

It hasn't happeneed to me but if it did I would take it back to the manufacturers or at least give them a call and ask "help!".

When I had some extensions done to my CT it cost quite a bit 'cause they had to take the main canvas off the backing board in order to stitch on a zipper so it could cost a bit for that reason as it's labour intensive.

Let the forum know what happens ... I'd certainly be interested just in case it happens to me.

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby jollyroger » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:50 pm

See this is my problem. I bought it second hand from the Canvas bloke. He made a new tent with the best zippers money can buy as well as the canvas. It was his CT. I know him via a friend of a friend. I bought it off him when it (new tent canvas and annex and awning) was 6 months old.

So I am in a little catch 22 situation with it. Do I get him to do it as he knows it. I owe him no favours - so it could cost a hit load!
I might get quotes from caravan places. There are not a lot of CT manufacturers in SA.
Cavalier is here and Austral but they don't deal with 15g canvas. This stuff is 100% waterproof. I know for a fact!

Bugga! :-bang
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think.
jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby Scolers » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:52 am

jollyroger wrote:So I am in a little catch 22 situation with it. Do I get him to do it as he knows it. I owe him no favours - so it could cost a hit load!

Bugga! :-bang

I'd just go and ask him ... tell him how good it's been ( Iassume it has) but it needs some repairs and can he do it? If not, then start on the CT places ... they'll probably be just as expensive.

Our camper was made by three different people/ businesses. I'd have no probs taking mine back to the canvas guy who does my canvas work as he really knows his stuff (15g here too ... damn tough stuff!) The worst he can say is "No".

Good luck!

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am

Can you get a pic of the offending section?

Maybe you could cut the canvas open around where the join and weld is supposed to be, cover the surrounding area with cardboard or something to protect it from welding sparks, and weld the pole back together? Then you only need to stitch a patch back over the section you cut open.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby jollyroger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 pm

I hope this worked. Having a little short term memory loss after a big night last night. :beer

Obviously it's the corner with the red arrow. The pole is only exposed at the corners where it's welded. So I like the idea of Ozzycamperboy where I might suggest opening the offending corner. It would be hard to re-stitch like that I suppose.

jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Postby jollyroger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:36 pm

Here is a better view!
You can see in the window how important this pole is. I call the Canvas bloke again and said bring it in and we will have a look at it. So at least I will get a quote.
I have seen some new pole designs that look at lot stronger and would never snap at the weld. as they have extra support across the angle.

jollyroger
Camping Oracle

Return to General Chit-Chat