The Solar Panel debate

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Re: The Solar Panel debate

Postby Titch2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 pm

stevo. wrote:Does anyone know if these solar deals include batteries? I get the impression that there's no batteries? So then you are just creating power during the day and then are using the grid when there's no sun (night).

Thats right,
Down here the rates of supply go up if you are supplying to the grid.
Blurry Ar33holes.
Screw the common person.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 pm

yeah, i read if you get the solar panel deal, you then get put on a higher grid rate.

I'm just thinking that batteries cost heaps and a house set up would need a lot of money in batteries, but when i see the deals on TV they talk about panels and inverters but no mention of batteries?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Titch2 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm

No Batteries are in these kits.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Well that'd be a bit of an issue, I would think a solar panel set up is half useless without batteries!
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby Val n Rob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:31 am

WE have recently had 6 x 250 watt solar panels installed on our roof. FREE, courtesy of the Govt. Somehow our postcode was picked to receive panels, inverter etc free. We only paid $100 deposit which will be refunded. Don't ask me how this all works but the panels are on the roof. Inverter is included. We are locked in at 60c per kwh for 15 yrs i think it is. Anyway we paid for the Electrician to hook us up to the grid. The panels have been working for 5 weeks and we have put in 200 kwh so far. Have not had an electricity bill yet, so will be interesting to see what happens. A friend of ours has 9 panels she installed herself (no govt grant) and her last power bill was paid for by her panels output plus she had a $350 credit still.
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby Rosco1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Val / Rob.....It will be interesting for you to follow your friends continuing income from these solar panels....because that is how the Tax Dept will view them....i.e....as a form of income....and will be taxed accordingly.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:37 pm

It is also my understanding that any power you do use, you will pay a higher premium for it. Will be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

BTW....good score on the freebie panels though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Val n Rob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 am

Rosco1 wrote:Val / Rob.....It will be interesting for you to follow your friends continuing income from these solar panels....because that is how the Tax Dept will view them....i.e....as a form of income....and will be taxed accordingly.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hi Rosco, yes excess $$$ will be counted as income, will wait and see how it all pans out.

cheers Val

::)
Val n Rob
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Val n Rob wrote:hi Rosco, yes excess $$$ will be counted as income
cheers Val

Doing that is crap.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby itchyvet » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:59 pm

Titch wrote:Swimming pool heater set up?
Titch

DUH, what's wrong with a few coils of polypropolyne tubing (irrigation pipeing)on your roof top in sunny location and running good quality 12 volt pump from a couple of solar panels ?
NOTE;
To do this, you need a power controler in between the solar panels and electric motor to ensure proper usage of available power.
Have seen many such applications here in the West.
itchyvet
Captain Camping

Previous

Return to General Chit-Chat