Plastic storage containers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Plastic storage containers

Postby elmack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I've just discovered this site and think it's a fantastic way to swap information and ideas re. camping. We usually get new ideas for setup/storage etc... when we are actually camping and see how others do it. This way I can get ahead of the game and hopefully be the one people stop and ask for advice!!!!

Anyway, what I'm wanting to know is what brand of storage containers/tubs do people use to store their camping gear in? I'm talking about the large 80+ litre tubs so you can throw in kitchen stuff, bedding or tarps/shade cloth etc... I currently have some 120lt ones from BIGW and the first time I went to grab the handle from the back of our trailer the plastic broke! Now they're no longer water proof because of a huge crack down the side and that really defeats the purpose. It's happened to the rest of them over the last 2 camping trips and I'm wanting to get some heavy duty tubs with lids that'll last.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
elmack

Postby amanda » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:57 pm

I don't know the actual brand name of the ones I now use, but like you I had little joy out of the ones I bought from Crazy Clarks - handles broke, cracks appeared, wheels literally fell off etc. I then got some from a disposals store - they appeared sturdier and so far have worked well. Like everything else I guess, you get what you pay for. I think I paid about $10-15 for the crappy ones, however spent up to $30 for the new ones. So far they have lasted twice as long as the old ones, so have really worked out the same economically so far, and with some luck I think they'll last me a couple more years, which will have made the extra initial expense well worth it.
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby elmack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks amanda, I think I'll have to check out the local disposal store!
elmack

Postby garbage » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 pm

I picked up some storage containers from Ikea and they have been sturdier than the ones at the $2 stores / BigW / KMart. They are stackable and have an opening on one side that allows you to open it even if there is stuff stacked on top. Don't think it was anymore than about $20.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby elmack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks garbage, I never thought to try Ikea out although I have a ton of their tubs for the kids stuff at home! Go figure!!!!
elmack

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:22 pm

These things are the bees knee's, space cases,

Ebay space case1
Ebay space case 2

But they generally have a price tag that could give the richest oil sheik a coronary.

They are used by the army as well so if you have any friends or family in the force you can get them to pick them up through 'work' :lol: , for a bit cheaper ($150 ish IIRC)

I was lucky enough to score a slightly larger army case from the 70's for free. Its been invaluable with the amount of crap you can store in it. And comes in handy as a table or chair :mrgreen: I've flogged the crap out of it for the past two years, without so much as a dent (and I'm sure the Vietnam war wasn't easy on it either) Mines the old school metal one though, my mate has a couple of these new ones and they look really well built too.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby mytribe » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:59 pm

We steal the kids toy crates :***

They're only the ones from "The Warehouse" but so far they seem to be lasting for us.
mytribe
Post Machine!

Postby elmack » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll be doing some shopping / stealing soon!!
elmack

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:50 pm

Bunnings sell a large black plastic with a lid that both hinges and comes off. Very sturdy. Took one with us on a round aus trip and I kept some heavy items like gas cooker, gas bottles etc and the thing is still strong and goes away whenever we do. The Clints specials are for light weight stuff only. :)
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Kramer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Nice idea Blue Bravo, I might go to Bunnings tomorrow and have a look :)
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby CCC » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:25 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:They are used by the army as well so if you have any friends or family in the force you can get them to pick them up through 'work' :lol: , for a bit cheaper ($150 ish IIRC)

I asked my brother for some and think he was trying to make a profit hahaha

he also told me he could get me some but it would mean he would have to spend some time in jail. I told him thats ok... i will sell some on ebay and send him some of my profit to get him out.
.... dont think army jails work like that hahahahaha

I tried :***
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby clackerz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:05 am

We generally use the ones from The Warehouse or Bunnings - nice 'n' cheap. If you treat them carefully and not chuck 'em round too much they do last.
There's water at the bottom of the ocean!
clackerz
Captain Camping

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:48 pm

new campers nsw wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:They are used by the army as well so if you have any friends or family in the force you can get them to pick them up through 'work' :lol: , for a bit cheaper ($150 ish IIRC)

I asked my brother for some and think he was trying to make a profit hahaha

How much did he say he can get them from? My source of guesstimates aren't very accurate. When I get my GQ ute I'll be wanting a couple :lol:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Komodo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:56 pm

http://www.trimcast.com.au/

thats who makes em
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Komodo wrote:http://www.trimcast.com.au/

thats who makes em

yeah but I don't think you can buy directly from them, need to pay for the middle man too :x
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gear Guide