Australian holiday NSW & VIC

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Australian holiday NSW & VIC

Postby Kenneth R » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:10 am

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Australia, centered on New South Wales and Victoria. Not sure for how long but 2 to 3 weeks I think. The plan is to hire a camper van in Sidney, start from there and probably return it there.

I have a couple of questions.

First, can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive camp site guidebook listing all the sites with details in the areas I have mentioned.

Second, as my preference is not to book ahead in order to have greatest flexibility, when are the sites least and most busy, in fact, is it at all feasible not to book ahead?

Can anyone offer any advice?

kayar (from Leeds, UK)
Kenneth R

Re: Australian holiday NSW & VIC

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 am

Camps Australia Wide is the book for you Ken.....version 6 due out this month and you can buy it online: http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

I never book ahead and the best time to travel here in Oz is late May to early August...our winter months...it is also the off peak season. Less people and less cost and definitely less heat.

We also have Visitor Tourist Information Centers in most towns and they are also well worth visiting for info on the local & surrounding areas.

You might also want to have a look at these websites: http://www.visitnsw.com & http://www.visitvictoria.com/

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Kenneth R » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi GypsyLady,

Thanks for your help. It is just what we needed.

We were thinking of October for our trip. From a weather website, the Max/Min day/night temperatures in the places involved are Sydney (22/14), Canberra (19/6), Melbourne (19/6) and Adelaide (21/10) which seem fine to us.

Would October still be a bit risky to leave booking until on the camp doorstep?

Regards,

Ken
Kenneth R

Postby Titch2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:30 pm

October in Victoria would be almost deserted of campers.
No need to book.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 am

Still can get a bit hot Ken in October. The temps you have quoted are not guaranteed.

The closer you can come to mid year the better and October does have school holidays in some states.

BTW....Adelaide is in South Australia.......2 or 3 weeks is not a lot of time to cover those distances, it will be a whirl wind tour with not much opportunity to see the sights and enjoy the experience.

That is a LOT of driving and not much time for anything else.

That's 4 states you mentioned in your last post in a maximum of 21 days.....this is a vast land with considerable distances and not always the best of roads in between capital cities. If you deviate from the major highways you can encounter some of the worst roads imaginable.

You are talking literally 1000s of kilometers here Ken without taking into account any side trips.

You'd have huge difficulty covering all 4 states and getting back to Sydney in 3 weeks.

I am advised by my English friend that Great Britain can fit into Australia 24 times with ease.....just to give you an idea of the vastness of this country.

As an example.....It will take you 2 days to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide. On top of that you have to add in time for sleeping, refueling, eating and sightseeing. There is so much to see along the way.

This is a FANTASTIC country Ken and I don't want to put you off, I just want you to rethink your travel plans in the time you have allocated.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Bradd » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:34 am

The Queenslanders might think winter is good for travelling
but the further south you go the colder it gets.

Are there places/attractions that you really want to see or are you just planning on seeing how far you can go and what ever is on the way is on the way ?

Some I guess must see places would be Blue Mountains (west of Sydney)
maybe head up to Dubbo Zoo then head south again down the middle of NSW
Cross the Murray river into Victoria, check out Echuca (historic river port)
Make your way through Victoria via Bendigo & Ballarat (Soveriegn Hill is a very popular attraction),
Keep going SW to Warrnambool and then either head towards Melbourne via the Great Ocean Rd,

or Head towards Adelaide via Mt Gambier and the famous Blue Lakes then back to Melbourne

Once in Melbourne you can either take the short less interesting route to Sydney or go via the coast
Either way you go there is plenty to see if you check out ahead what's on the way, many interesting towns get bypassed by the freeways, so good to know what's in them before you go flying past.

As mentioned, Camps Australia Wide is the best source of Free / Low cost camp areas

October would only be busy if School Holidays are on (usually end sep - start oct)

Too many places to mention, it all depends on what kind of things you would like to see, eg. nature or man made.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Lin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I've camped at the Far South NSW Coast in July last year and it wasn't that cold. Would be way too bloddy cold to camp inland on that latitude then though! For me anyway. And I don't think Melbourne and surrounds is all that pleasant in the middel of winter. Also, I like the longer days when I camp.

October is nice weatherwise, but the water will be cold. I think the best time to go travelling in South NSW is Feb/March/April, but that's just my personal preference. I like the heat myself too, and it can still get pretty hot in Feb. October is fine though. Doesn't start heating up until early December usually.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Introductions: