Give me some examples of a light 3 season tent please

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

Give me some examples of a light 3 season tent please

Postby Miklos M » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi everyone first time poster here :) !

A couple mates and I have rediscovered our love of remote camping. We love the idea of taking everything in with us and having a real away-from-society-back-to-basics camping experience.

Having said that the obvious agenda for us is how light we can get our complete gear so we can reach more and more remote places. We pretty much have everything nailed except a tent. We have been lugging in a 4 person tent that we divide up between the 3 of us so we can share the load.

So in light of that we are looking for solo tents in the vicinity of 1kg or up to 1.5kg max.

So,

1.can you guys please advise on a; 3 season, pole solo (I am 6'4" so I need at least 240mm length) tent with a fly. I am looking at around the $250-$300 budget but second hand is also good.

2.How light does a 3 season pole solo tent with a fly get? (just so I know what to gage against)

Thank you!

Mik. 8)
Miklos M

Re: Give me some examples of a light 3 season tent please

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Mik and WELCOME to the forum. I am sorry I have no idea what a light 3 season tent is.....hopefully one of the members here will come along soon and be able to assist you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Miklos M » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Ah okay. A 3 season tent is good for summer, autum and spring but may be a little under done for winter.
Miklos M

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 am

Miklos M wrote:Ah okay. A 3 season tent is good for summer, autum and spring but may be a little under done for winter.

Thanks for the explanation Mik.....You are obviously not here is Oz, we don't have seasonal tents. Where are you located??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby linv » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Tents here are labeled in the same way, GL. Usually 3-season or 4-season.

I think there's few hikers on here, Miklos. Most of us with tents car camp, so we have big, heavy tents. Not sure where you'd be able to find better advice.

Not really related, but I have been thinking about getting a pop-up tent for one-night camps. There's some really cool ones out there these days, some quite spacious too.
linv
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:57 pm

linv wrote:Tents here are labeled in the same way, GL. Usually 3-season or 4-season.

Can honestly say I have not seen that Lin, certainly not in the stores I frequent. Thought they went by size as in how many persons although maybe a specialty store might be different.

Well.....obviously, I live and learn and am going to make a point of checking it out next time I am in a camp store. Will ask about 'seasonal' tents.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Maybe you don't get that rating in QLD because you only have two seasons: hot or wet. ;)
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

Lin wrote:Maybe you don't get that rating in QLD because you only have two seasons: hot or wet. ;)

You forgot Windy :lol:
Titch
Titch2
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby hoadie72 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 am

Here is my light 2-3 season tent that was sold in Australia advertised as a light 2-3 season tent. With the tarp thingy over it I decided not to use the fly, which worked out quite well as it was quite warm at night.

Photos taken last weekend at Abercrombie Caves.

Tent is a Blackwolf Mantis II. I'm 6'3 and I can stretch out lengthwise and have heaps of room widthwise. Headroom is lacking though due to the shape but it's pretty comfortable.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/adventure1000078/
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Ian S » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Oztrail make a good variety of lightweight hiking tents. There is your Eco swifthitch ranging from 2-3 man. There is also your classic, hiker and breezway, these range from 2-6 man. There is also the Outer Limit Hiker range that focus on 1-2 man. They are good quality and reasonably priced in comparison to other brands.
I've had a Oztrail Keppel 10 (large family cabin-style dome tent) for years now and it has never let me down.
Check 'em out on -
http://www.oztrail.com.au

Good luck and its good to see you get back into it...
Life can throw nothing at you that beer won't fix
Ian S
Captain Camping

Return to General Chit-Chat